Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
Gemstone

Gray water tank and gate valve

Thought I had a defective valve...

I had the valve closed to do some downstream work on the sewer pipe going to my inground septic tank...
When I opened the valve, I expected to hear the whoosh of water exiting the gray water tank...when I heard none, I began investigating the issue. Took off the PITA cover to expose the valve...all appeared to be working as designed, but not having seen the inside of the valve, I assumed that perhaps the rod had separated from the gate portion of the valve. So, off to purchase emergency pipe to handle the expected rush of gray water when I removed the valve, as well as a new $60 valve.
Took the valve apart...no rush of water ??? Looked closer and discovered that the valve was working just fine...my problem was clogged drain pipe both upstream and downstream of the valve. Clogged with white material similar to wet powdered clothes detergent, which we've never used in the washer...always use biodegradable detergent. I assume the white material is a combination of everything that goes thru the pipes to the gray tank...soap scum, food particles, dead skin and hair from the shower, etc.

Question is, how to properly maintain a gray water tank ? Black tank always gets a tank treatment to assist in the breakdown process, and of course the black tank does have the "flush out feature", but no flush out exists on the gray tank. And typically the gray water valve usually stays open, so a treatment wouldn't work unless the valve was closed periodically.

So, what have others with washing machines done to properly maintain the gray water tank to eliminate the crud buildup ?

Regards
Gemstone

Old 12-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
RonS

I have the same unit as yours, and have washer/dryer, and have never had the problem you discribe. However my guage always reads 1/3 full on the gray tank. When we are travelling I try to have the gray tank 1/4 tank full and then let it slosh around going down the road. I think this helps clean out stuff in the tank.

06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
Gemstone

Sounds like a good method, however, as my DW is still working, we spend up to 6 months at a time in any given location....so we don't get all that sloshing around...but I'll try it in April when we leave Yuma.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 12-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
RonS

Maybe it would help if you let the gray tank get full a couple times then drain it. I also always leave my gray gate open when hooked to sewer. However I know many who only open when full. Would have to keep an eye on it when washer is going but I think it can be done.
Good Luck.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Quote:
Would have to keep an eye on it when washer is going but I think it can be done.
FWIW,,,,,,We can do a couple loads of laundry, a couple showers, and some dishes before the gray tank fills up.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:06 AM   #6
hitchup

David periodically backflushes the gray tank with a Flush King.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ush-king/20522
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I also use the Flush King to back flush the gray tank. I also open the curb side access door and found the drain pipe screw off cap. I unscrew that cap, it connects the bathroom sink line to the gray tank. I made a small diameter hose that I attach to the garden hose with a shut-off valve and feed that small hose into that access port. This way I can back flush with the Flush King, and top flush to get rid of the exact deposits your describing. It is amazing the stuff that clings to the inside walls of that tank. I do this about once a month while we are sitting, less if we are in the move mode.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
Motor31

We've not had any problems with the tank at all. We do only close it off to build water to flush the hose when we drain the black tank. Nancy does 2 loads then I drain the black tank. After that the laundry goes through with the valve open. Have you been cleaning the lint trap in the washer? (assuming you have the smaller Kenmore washer / dryer set up we have)
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:10 PM   #9
RonS

Stacy- I dont have a clue of what your talking about with the screw off cap that goes to the gray tank. More info please.
Motor31 - where is the lint trap located in Sears/Kenmore Washer??
Old 12-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
Motor31

Ron,

The lint trap is in the central stalk in the tub under the softener cup. You pull it up and out of the tub. Don't try to pull the entire stalk out, just pull up on the softener cup and it should pull out of the agitator assembly. There is a long plastic rod that has the lint cup attached to it on the bottom.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #11
RonS

motor31 - Found it THANKS!!!