Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
dalehandsome

Bedroom Slide Problems

We took our 2010 TKSB3 into have the roof repaired after a hail storm did some damage. When we got it back all slides opened normally. A few weeks ago we closed the slides because we were leaving for a few months to visit family. I cannot see the bedroom slide from the switches, however, it sounded normal when closing. After I thought it was in I checked on it to discover that the bottom came in but the top did not. I quickly put it back out and called the repair shop and asked their opinion. They said they had the same problem and I needed to have someone pull on the top as I was bringing the slide in. That did not work. The repair shop sent two gentlemen down and after huffing and puffing three of us managed to get the slide almost in. I had the unit towed to the shop the next morning and after a few days they informed me that the problem was because of dry rot on the slide bottom. They then told me that it would take 80 to 100 hours at $130.00 per hour + parts to fix. Their estimate was for $13,000. - $15,000 to repair. Unfortunately I do not have that kind of money. I do have two strong sons who are willing to help me out. Has anyone had experience in repairing the bedroom slide? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:26 PM   #2
6inarow

How far is it from closing? Did it do that before the hail damage?

6inarow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:18 PM   #3
dalehandsome

Its about two inches on the top and six inches on the bottom from closing. When we closed it up to be taken to the repair shop, after the hail storm, everything worked great.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:16 AM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

Does not sound like a floor problem, and even if it were, the estimate is way high. Is the slide one of the Schwintek units with the rack rails on sides, top and bottom? If so, it is a sync problem or motor failure.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
dalehandsome

Thanks for the information. How do a find out if it is a Schwintek unit? I can see the tracks on the bottom of the other two slides but noting is visible on the bedroom slide.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #6
6inarow

I agree its not a floor problem, if its a hyd slide like mine then I believe its a problem with the adjustable stops or air in the system
6inarow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #7
wingnut60
Site Team

TKSB3? If I remember correctly, the bedroom slides on '10 Suites were controlled by Schwintek rack/pinion drives. You have the w/d in the larger bedroom slide?
A Schwintek drive unit is known by the metal tracks on each side of the slide at the top and bottom--if the slide does not have these tracks, then it is hydraulic--different possible problems. Which slide is the problem?
Also, if you do have the slide with w/d in it, then floor problem IS a possibility due to leaking hoses.
Where are you ? Need to find a good DRV dealer to check it--I say GOOD dealer.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:55 AM   #8
Cummins12V98

If you are anywhere near Elk City, OK caLL SLADE AT ROLLINGRETREATS
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:52 PM   #9
porkchop

I'm almost positive the10's were hyd, but it doesn't matter really. If the floor is coming in and the rest isn't it's disconnected somewhere. The obvious probability is the floor and wall connection failed. It is a big job because the whole slide has to come out to replace the floor. Whoever does it really needs to understand how it's put together in order to fix it.

The guy you are dealing with is probably guessing and I don't blame him for guessing high. If he told you $2000 and it ended up $12000 you would be pissed and I would not blame either of you for your feelings. It's definitely not a weekend warrior project.

Good luck whatever your choice is.

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #10
dalehandsome

Thanks for all your input. Our son, who has worked on Marine Helicopters the past 20 years and is now in charge of over seeing the maintenance on Marine 1, is hoping to come out in a few days and have a look. We are in Kansas City and there are few repair RV repair shops around. One problem is a few years ago we decided to just park our unit to the side of our sons home as a second home for two to three months out of the year. We no longer have a tow vehicle to tow it around to different firms. Even if we did tow it around, no one will want to give a firm bid until they tear into it. Can't blame them, however, once they tear into it we will probably be committed as it would impossible to tow it.

Hope our son can at least determine what the problem is and then we can go from there.

Thanks again for your input!
dalehandsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:29 PM   #11
rb8921

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalehandsome View Post
We took our 2010 TKSB3 into have the roof repaired after a hail storm did some damage. When we got it back all slides opened normally. A few weeks ago we closed the slides because we were leaving for a few months to visit family. I cannot see the bedroom slide from the switches, however, it sounded normal when closing. After I thought it was in I checked on it to discover that the bottom came in but the top did not. I quickly put it back out and called the repair shop and asked their opinion. They said they had the same problem and I needed to have someone pull on the top as I was bringing the slide in. That did not work. The repair shop sent two gentlemen down and after huffing and puffing three of us managed to get the slide almost in. I had the unit towed to the shop the next morning and after a few days they informed me that the problem was because of dry rot on the slide bottom. They then told me that it would take 80 to 100 hours at $130.00 per hour + parts to fix. Their estimate was for $13,000. - $15,000 to repair. Unfortunately I do not have that kind of money. I do have two strong sons who are willing to help me out. Has anyone had experience in repairing the bedroom slide? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
$13,000 - $15,000! I had roof and bottom replaced on my bedroom slideout for less than $5,000. The slideout had to be removed to be repaired. It took a couple of days to complete. No problems since. I think you need a second opinion. I see you are in KC. Out repair was done by Abe Thompson RV Service Center in Oak Grove, Mo.

rb8921 is offline   Reply With Quote