Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
SuiteWheels

Anyone change a flat tire on

your MS....and if so, what type of jack did you use?

SuiteWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
dave007

I had a blowout on the left rear...I used an aluminum floor jack, I think it was 3 ton...Next time I will take a 20ton hyd. jack. The floor jack wouldn't have raised it without the help of the hyd. leveling jacks... Also I think I'm going to replace the China made Mission tires with some US made Bridgestone... I've heard lots of bad things about the China tires...

Old 07-21-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
rverdlm

The biggest problem when you have a flat is to have a jack that is short enough to get under the axle and still be able to raise the tire off the ground. Have plenty of wood blocks. We went to Home Depot and had them saw up a piece of 4X6 into 12" pieces. This allows us to jack and block. We use a 12 ton bottle jack and a ramp to raise the good tire on the same side about 6 inches.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
rdunk

I guess that you folks like to change your own tires, just for the fun of it.

Me, I plan to never have to change a tire on the tow vehicle, nor on the 5er. In the over two years of fulltiming, we have only had one tire problem, on the tow vehicle. I called the Good Sam's "Emergency Road Service", which we buy yearly, and the service tech arrived to help within about an hour. Had it fixed within about two hours.

To me, this type of "insured service" is really very cheap, considering the alternative of having the kind of "fun" all of you are talking about!!!

And besides that, those extra hydraulic jacks are pretty heavy to carry around, even though I have one "standard issue" that Ford puts in F350.

JMHMO!!!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I carry 3, a 2 ton floor jack and 2 bottle jacks, one a 5 ton and one a 10 ton. Both bottle jacks are over kill for what you have to lift if changing a tire. I happen to have the space and have used all three at one time or another. The problem is, with a flat tire, the space you have to use with the axle a few inches closer to the ground limits what jack will work. Both of the bottle jacks are stubby, and either will fit, but a regular tall jack would not.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
Motor31

We have a 6 ton bottle jack and have used it on the trailer. I do have the Good Sam road Service but they still needed to use my jack as theirs didn't fit when they got there. It also works on our tow vehicle as well. I have a supply of wood planks to prop up the jack if needed.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
SuiteWheels

Thanks for the feedback folks, just what d/h wanted to know!
SuiteWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #8
2 DA WDS

The only time I had to change a tire on the road I used the boards I carry to level with. I stacked them to make a ramp so the good wheel lifted the bad wheel off the ground. Worked great! I do have a couple of bottle jacks I carry but the ramp is the best IMHO.
2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
sigo'suite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave007
Also I think I'm going to replace the China made Mission tires with some US made Bridgestone... I've heard lots of bad things about the China tires...
Dave,

Check your pm's.

Ron
sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
RustyJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunk
I guess that you folks like to change your own tires, just for the fun of it.

Me, I plan to never have to change a tire on the tow vehicle, nor on the 5er. In the over two years of fulltiming, we have only had one tire problem, on the tow vehicle. I called the Good Sam's "Emergency Road Service", which we buy yearly, and the service tech arrived to help within about an hour. Had it fixed within about two hours.

To me, this type of "insured service" is really very cheap, considering the alternative of having the kind of "fun" all of you are talking about!!!

And besides that, those extra hydraulic jacks are pretty heavy to carry around, even though I have one "standard issue" that Ford puts in F350.

JMHMO!!!
We've carried Good Sam ERS for many years and had the first "opportunity" to see them perform on Friday, July 13th when we lost a tire on the 5th wheel. We were at mile marker 185 on Interstate 45 between Houston and Dallas - hardly an untraveled backroad - when the tire failed at 9:00 AM. After 1.5 hours, the GS rep said that she couldn't find anyone who would come out to change the tire, so I wound up changing it myself.

So, just because one might have GS ERS, that's no guarantee that the tire is going to get changed by others. Based on my experience, you'd better be prepared to take care of the situation yourself. Glad I was!!

Rusty

2004 DoubleTree Mobile Suites 36RE3 #1291
2002 Dodge 3500 DRW Cummins HO/6-speed
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote