Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
tomriley

Raising the Coach by Changing Suspension Mounting Holes

I had a shop raise my coach by moving the spring hangers/shackles to the lower holes, which effectively raises the coach about 2 inches, and makes it more level when towing with the F350 4X4. The shop put "extenders" on the shock rods to compensate for the added length. However, the shock rods bent, and one actually broke during the approximately 2-mile tow to my home from the shop. Obviously they did something incorrectly, but I am not sure what.

Has anyone had experience changing the suspension height? If so, were there problems encountered with the shocks? Should I have changed to shocks with a longer shank?

Any advice will be appreciated.

2006 32TK3 #2655
2005 F350 CC Power Stroke, SRW
tomriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
anijet

I have done the same adjustment of trailer ride height. The shocks have a stud on each end that is long enough to install a 5/8 inch tubing spacer first, then the washer, rubber donut, through the shock mount, second rubber donut, second washer and finally the nut. I did this on each end of the shock and it has worked well for several thousand miles.

This makes the trailer ride level and adds some clearnace for the skid plates to the road in the back. I also welded on 2 inch steel rollers to the bicycle rack receiver for those road dips that make the back end drag. I can tell by the wear pattern on the wheels that they have been used a few times.

anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:20 AM   #3
47hook

Whoops! Guess I'll have to look at my shocks. I raised the 5er/lowered the axles to the last hole and didn't do anything to the shocks. 2000 mile trip and didn't notice anything. Guess I'll look at them tomorrow!!!
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #4
anijet

The only problem would be trying to overextend the shock. I don't think you would ever notice while towing but may damage shock itself and/or put undue stress on the shock mounts.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
RonS

I have trailair centerpoint on my mag suspension, when I went to see Dale at Trailair in Indiana he had Ron McCoy put mine into the last hole in the back. Thats all he did as far as I know, it does ride more level now. After about 7K miles on it all is working fine as far as I know. Before we leave for the winter I will check the welds etc
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote