Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2020, 09:11 AM   #1
dmorse68

A/C Unit Drawing Too Many Amps

Hi guys,

Just noticed my Dometic Penguin 2 unit in the living/kitchen area (zone 1) is drawing too many amp when the compressor kicks on. The fan motor starts up first, and draws 1.5 - 2 amps, then the compressor kicks on. When the compressor starts up, it draws about 24 amps initially for a half a second to a second, then settles back down to 14 amps the rest of the time it runs. Thoughts? Things to check?

David

dmorse68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #2
porkchop

Absolutely normal, maybe even to the low side. Normal start up can be up to 300% easily

Bill

porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
dmorse68

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
Absolutely normal, maybe even to the low side. Normal start up can be up to 300% easily

Bill
Perfect. Thank you Bill. I can rest easier now. It's 110 F - 114 F here all summer long so, I NEED them!

Interestingly enough, my zone 2 unit doesn't do this. However, my zone 1 unit is the one with a heatpump. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Thanks again,
David
Old 06-03-2020, 11:34 AM   #4
Cummins12V98

Those temps are why I chose three 15k Units. Alicia said "when do AC units go out". That made me go with three as I had a unit hard start go out in Palm springs, CA in 100+ weather.

In 113 weather I can stay as cool as my wallet allows!
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
CaptainPalapa

One of those Micro-Air, SoftStart or EasyStart devices might be good for you. They seem pretty easy to install.

Jared with All About RV's just posted this video about a week ago:

If you're not familiar with these devices, definitely check them out. Especially if you have more than one A/C unit and often end up on 30 amp. The 30 amp can RUN them, but not really START them as well, due to that load. These devices ramp up the compressor load to avoid throwing breakers.
CaptainPalapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
dmorse68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Those temps are why I chose three 15k Units. Alicia said "when do AC units go out". That made me go with three as I had a unit hard start go out in Palm springs, CA in 100+ weather.

In 113 weather I can stay as cool as my wallet allows!
Yeah i am definitely lowering the life expectancies on my units here. When it’s 114F out, my two units are keeping my rig at 74F and using 60 kWh per day.

David
Old 06-03-2020, 12:14 PM   #7
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorse68 View Post
Yeah i am definitely lowering the life expectancies on my units here. When it’s 114F out, my two units are keeping my rig at 74F and using 60 kWh per day.

David

Actually that is good! 74 by your "T" stat of 74 by a real thermometer?

Old 06-03-2020, 12:15 PM   #8
Cummins12V98

Quote:
What model RV is yours? Fill in your public sig, it will help for future questions.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:15 PM   #9
CaptainPalapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorse68 View Post
When it’s 114F out, my two units are keeping my rig at 74F

I'm JEALOUS. I have a nice, shiny 44' Grand Design rig (201. I have 3 A/C's. I'm on 50amp. I run all of them. It was 90 yesterday, and I can't keep the main room below 80 on some days. I know it's nonsense, it's not right. I should be FREEZING, but I'm not. It's even got this whole interconnected raceway so all three contribute to the entire house. Bedroom at night is fine. Garage / Office (toy hauler) is fine during the day, mostly. But that main room...oof.

At some point, I'm going to have to ask someone for help. I'm beyond my ken. Cold air does blow out of it, but .... there's something else going on that I don't understand.
CaptainPalapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:19 PM   #10
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPalapa View Post
I'm JEALOUS. I have a nice, shiny 44' Grand Design rig (201. I have 3 A/C's. I'm on 50amp. I run all of them. It was 90 yesterday, and I can't keep the main room below 80 on some days. I know it's nonsense, it's not right. I should be FREEZING, but I'm not. It's even got this whole interconnected raceway so all three contribute to the entire house. Bedroom at night is fine. Garage / Office (toy hauler) is fine during the day, mostly. But that main room...oof.

At some point, I'm going to have to ask someone for help. I'm beyond my ken. Cold air does blow out of it, but .... there's something else going on that I don't understand.

Welcome aboard!

Fill in sig.

Sounds like one of your AC's is not preforming. ORRRRRR you have obstructions.

Remove all your returns and supplies. Have a roll of silver aluminum tape ready, you will need it to tape up the mess you will find. Keep your return air vents clean!

Old 06-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #11
CaptainPalapa

Quote:
Sounds like one of your AC's is not preforming. ORRRRRR you have obstructions.

Remove all your returns and supplies. Have a roll of silver aluminum tape ready, you will need it to tape up the mess you will find. Keep your return air vents clean!
Sig updated.

As far as I know, the only "returns" in these things are the vents themselves. In on one side, out on the other. With the crazy dump sliders. (Which I keep closed to force circulation to the main vents.) I've cleaned the filter screens.

I haven't looked at it with an eye towards adding any tape. (I need to pick some up, or toss in my next Amazon order, travel day is this Saturday after three weeks.) Like I said, the air that's coming out *IS* cold. But obviously the main room is the biggest, of course, and the tallest (which you'd think would help). And it's not like the A/C is shutting off either. It's running...kinda constantly. Even with our solar setup (very nice), I'm concerned about boondocking anywhere it might be warm. Heh. Seller (we've had it... three months?) did all the solar install (190w x 4, Viktron, BattleBorn, the works) and it's a good setup. (Used twice.)

Dunno, I'm babbling now.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #12
dmorse68

Quote:
By the T-stat
Old 06-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #13
dmorse68

Quote:
What model RV is yours? Fill in your public sig, it will help for future questions.
I’ve been looking for that public signature thing. Where’s it located so I can fill it out.

I have a 2018 DRV MS 36RSSB3
Old 06-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #14
Cummins12V98

Click your name at top right then click about me.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #15
OneReallyOldGuy

A/C malfunction intermittently

Ok guys, since we’re on the subject I have a problem with one of my units. It’s complicated so pour another cup and bear with me while I lay it out. My 2019 39DBRS3 has two dometic A/C’s. (No heat pumps). Wish I had gotten three but that’s another story.
Unit #1 works correctly all the time. Unit #2, the forward A/C works correctly most of the time. However it presents the following randomly. The unit starts and the little hour glass pops up on the control panel as usual. A few seconds later the compressor kicks in and the hour glass goes away. Between one and two minutes later the fan kicks up to high then about 30 seconds later the unit shuts down completely and the hour glass pops up again. The process repeats itself about two minutes later. The A/C blows cold air on each cycle but it doesn’t run long enough to cool the bedroom. I have the fan set on auto.
After anywhere from 10 minutes to a few hours of this cycling, the unit comes on and stays on until the normal cycle is complete and the set temperature is reached. It then operates normally for anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days.
A few more details:
Sometimes, randomly, when it’s operating “normally,” about 10 seconds after a cycle the fan kicks on for 5 seconds then turns off.
Sometimes I set the fan to medium and let it run because I get tired of listening to it cycle and if I watch the control panel the hour glass pops up for a couple minutes and goes off for a couple minutes so I assume the compressor is still fast cycling.
The problem is totally random and I don’t think it’s freezing up because upon starting the system after a five hour move in 90° weather it immediately began its cycling thing. It took forever to cool the coach that afternoon.
Outside temperature, humidity level, rain, shine, day, night have no bearing on it.
Thermostat setting has no bearing on it either. It doesn’t matter if it’s set to 72° or 68° or anywhere in between.
Of course every time the repair guy is on site at the RV Park we stay at the most it behaves normally. He says he can’t trouble shoot it if it’s working correctly.
Thanks for reading this, any thoughts or suggestions?
Phil
OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #16
Roam America

I’m no HVAC guy by any stretch of the imagination. From what I’ve read and heard when the ac is short cycling it is due to low coolant. As the zone you refer to eventually gets to temperature it will be easier to maintain that temp than it was to get it there. If the fan is cycling on again later in the cycle, it may be starting to ice up.
Just a thaught.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #17
Cummins12V98

Won't help your issue but I leave my fan in the ON position and gives more uniform cooling.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:48 PM   #18
OneReallyOldGuy

I don’t think it’s freezing up because it’s so random and it resolves itself without turning off the unit to let it thaw. It was cycling when I woke up this morning but ran a full cycle by the time I got the coffee on. When I was composing my post it started its cycling thing again. Now it’s back to normal.
I’m thinking the condenser fan isn’t running sometimes causing a quick pressure build up which kicks the unit off. However I’ve never heard of a condenser fan not working intermittently. When they fail that’s it, they’re done.
Oh, and I have never, nor will I ever climb my old fat a** up on my roof so visually checking it is out of the question.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #19
OneReallyOldGuy

Quote:
Won't help your issue but I leave my fan in the ON position and gives more uniform cooling.
What setting do you leave it on? High, medium or low? I’ll put the bedroom unit on medium some nights just to drown out noisy neighbors or if it’s doing it’s cycling routine and I don’t want to hear it.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:50 PM   #20
Cummins12V98

We always use the "ROOF FAN" in the bedroom for white noise.

When using the AC we either use Med or High in bedroom. Living area we run full ON all the time.