Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2022, 09:53 AM   #1
Notanlines

EMS acceptable voltage, 50 amps

We are currently on a 50 amp pedestal and our EMS has started to kick our juice off, and the Florida Power meter reads 256 volts when this happens. What is everyone's opinion as to what is too high?

Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:31 AM   #2
CaptainPalapa

Off topic, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
We, too, travel with a sidecar! For us, the Sportster 1200 with the sidecar goes in the toy hauler, and my Heritage is on a hydraulic lift at the back.

Good travels to you! (We're having the first ever RV/MC rally in September 2022 in Bandera, TX if you're interested. https://dwo.net/rally )

Old 01-24-2022, 03:30 PM   #3
RLH1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
We are currently on a 50 amp pedestal and our EMS has started to kick our juice off, and the Florida Power meter reads 256 volts when this happens. What is everyone's opinion as to what is too high?
Just because a pedestal receptacle reads 256 volts doesn’t indicate how many amp can be drawn.
If the EMS or breaker is tripping it could be overheating from not enough amp bring able to be drawn through that breaker or loose connections causing amp drop. Undersize wiring can do the same.
You can run 250 volts across a small 18 gauge wire but it can’t flow but a couple of amps without melting, shorting or device kicking off.
I’d say low amperage is the problem.
RLH1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:34 PM   #4
Notanlines

We've been on this spot for 14 months with not a problem. Two neighbors also had the same problem and left the camp. Nobody else has had a problem.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:12 PM   #5
Dave A

That would make me nervous!

Has the campground called an electrician to check things out? I'm no expert and will admit it so don't beat me up, but I wouldn't hook our camper up to that. The electronics in the newer models are a little delicate and expensive to repair.

The last campground we had a problem at was showing low voltage and they replaced the breaker and fixed it. Never saw one showing that high a voltage.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:32 AM   #6
Notanlines

Thanks, Dave. And I don't have much 'beat me up' left in me. The problem has been a source of constant irritation with FPL. They have a sensor on their main box (each box serves 4 pedestals) and are planning on reading it next week.
The space next to us has an electrical contractor from the Chicago area, residential and commercial, and his class A does the same thing. He's just like the rest of us....lost as a goose.
I'll keep everyone posted as we progress down this bottomless pit.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:21 PM   #7
Waldo Camper

There is a Facebook group that is awesome for RV electrical problems. They would be an excellent place to ask for expert information.

RVelectricity
Waldo Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 02:28 PM   #8
CHAPS2018

We have this issue in our storage lot constantly. The EMS kicks us off for either too high voltage or too low voltage...intermittently.

Over the years I have asked the storage mgmt if I need to call the power company and they tell me the problem is on the storage lot's end.

Electrician comes out, works his magic all is fine for a while...then it starts happening again. I go to the storage mgmt and complain...rinse/wash/repeat

Storage rates are too good for me to complain too loud. (got kicked out of the last place for that...). Obviously its easier to put up with than your situation, I just wanted to point out that it isn't necessarily the power company problem.
CHAPS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:23 PM   #9
Notanlines

End result is as follows: FPL tech came out and said that they have the park hooked through a capacitor in this section. I didn't ask a lot after that. He said it was run with the capacitor because in the summer the air conditioning draws were huge and they needed the excess voltage.
He said he was going over to take the capacitor off-line and it would go backs to 240 volts. It now reads 239-242 volts and everything has been fine for a week.