Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
berghild

Send a message via AIM to berghild
Honda 2000

WEll we returned in december from our 2 month trip through Baja and are planning to reutrn in the next couple of weeks. THe only time we have left our Honda 2000 generator unlocked and BINGO it was gone.
can't blame anyone else. from what I have heard chaining it up won't help much.
we have braided cable covered with plastic now...any opinions on this lasting through the night? Has anyhone come up with an idea that will slow this short of picking it up whenever we are out of sight and locking it inside? thanks, cyndy

EDGE CHIP,exhaust brake,ATS tranny, ATS turbo, AFE sir filter
ETC
2008 36TK3 ES3917/no granite
berghild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Diesel-Gypsy

That's easy....tie it to your Doberman, the one you trained to ahhh...dislike anyone but you..

Rick

Old 02-28-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
Motor31

We have had no problems using a braided cable to secure ours. If you get one long enough you can wrap the unit instead of just running it through the handle. When not in use we keep it stored in the tow vehicle out of sight.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
sr

I too am concerned regarding theft.

I have 2 -2000's and this summer plan on building a box that goes on the back of the trailer and hooks up via Class 5 Hitch. The box will be ventilated, have a lockable lid and have a short cord that will plug into the trailer. It will hold both Gen's and a 5 gallon gas can. Should weigh under 500lb"s.

Also with this setup, I can either take them or leave them at home depending on where I am going. Also could run them while travling and have the AC running and cool when I arrive at my destination.
2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
Red Ram

Another item that is easy to lose is your propane tanks, especially the new type like ours that only require your hand to tighten the fitting to the tank.

I have not lost mine yet, but I don't intend to either. I installed a 1/2" eye bolt with large flat washers on each side on the back wall in the propane tank compartment. Before I installed it I spread the eye enough to get the plastic coated 3/8" cable eye into it, then I hammered it shut and spot welded it.

The cable is 4ft long. Thread it through the top handle of the back tank and through the front tank. I drilled a 3/8" hole on the side of the handle on each tank for a padlock, so that which ever tank ends up on the outside position, it will have a hole for the padlock. The end loop of the cable is attached to the lock.

Since we are not allowed by fire code to lock the access door to the LPG tanks, this is my first line of defence, if that dosen't work I will tie the Doberman up next to them.