Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2008, 06:36 AM   #1
AlwaysHomeNow

Anyone have their furnace go bad?

Have any of you had your furnace go bad? We have an 05 TK3. Been living in it since July 05 with no problem. Husband is electrical guy, so all that has been checked out. We overrode the thermostat to have unit kick on. We heard the click to start unit, but the blower never came on.

Since it's not feasible to pull into a dealer, our next move is to have the unit removed and fixed. Has anyone else had to deal with this?

2005 36TK3 #2280
2005 Chevy 3500 Duramax/Allison DRW
Just the DH and I living wherever the contract is
AlwaysHomeNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
sigo'suite

Did you try a thermostat reset?
The procedure is described in the manual on the thermostat, if you have it.

sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
AlwaysHomeNow

When we overrode the thermostat, we took that out of the loop. So we know it's not a thermostat problem.
2005 36TK3 #2280
Old 02-22-2008, 08:29 AM   #4
hitchup

It may not be the same simple fix we had, but during our 2nd winter in our ES, our furnace went out in late Oct. It had been used for a few weeks without any problem & previously from Jan-Apr. Same symptoms you describe, furnace would try initial start, but blower wouldn't run, so it would shut down.

Mobile Tech came out to RVP & found a loose wire inside furnace compartment. Come Jan, exact same problem developed. David checked what he could, but no luck.

March, when we were moving ES, stopped in at our dealer in NC for a furnace check & other warranty issue. Guess What: another loose wire & we were on our way. Happy to say, no more problems.

We did have another mobile tech come out this Fall & clean everything, recheck wires. Runs smooth & has worked great this whole winter.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Okie

Last Jan. WE had the same problem. The furnace would start up then try to fire the gas but it woldn't happen then it would shut down. Open the furnace panel on the outside. Check on the left side and there is a circuit panel back there with a plug in wire. It had come loose on mine, still in place but loose. I plugged it in tight and solved my problem. The gas would then fire off. Anyway it's easy to check.

Okie
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
bstark

I have had to "crimp" two spade connectors to tighten them so far in the furnace and have also coated them with a dialectic grease of the high temp variety to prevent corrosion. The furnace and water heater boards are ideal locations for that darn "corrosion of contact" issue. You have to be careful to select a dialectic grease that will stand up to warm temps (dark brown gummy stuff) such as that used on semi-truck battery terminals. As an aside; you can use the same stuff for all of the connections in the wiring for those who have electric brakes to seal those stupid Marr Connectors from road moisture.

The connections up in the pin box area in the 4" service box can also be given a liberal dose of this stuff but be forewarned that it "sticks" to everything and will make any future work on those connections a very messy job. I use the latex medical gloves when playing with this stuff.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
AlwaysHomeNow

Its fixed - Yeah!

We took it to a service shop. The control board had gone bad. Now it works great again.

Thanks for all your input.

BTW - we've found loose wiring in a number of places in the trailer. One of the connections for the furnace was loose, but didn't turn out to be our problem. I think at some point we'll open all the junction boxes and redo with good wire nuts. Whoever does the wiring at Doubletree just doesn't do a good job.
2005 36TK3 #2280
Old 02-23-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
Diesel-Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysHomeNow
BTW - we've found loose wiring in a number of places in the trailer. One of the connections for the furnace was loose, but didn't turn out to be our problem. I think at some point we'll open all the junction boxes and redo with good wire nuts. Whoever does the wiring at Doubletree just doesn't do a good job.
Hmmm..do ya think..

Glad your gonna be warm again!

Rick
Old 02-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
Motor31

Wiring has been a gremlin that showed up some time ago in my experiance with DT. There was also a problem with switches that had too much amperage going through them as well as poor crimps / connectors.

Just as a note here. I attended a fire safety seminar when I visited a Teton rally over 2 years ago. The presenter stated that because of code regulations on 120 volt items and wiring in an RV there are few fires attributed to those. It's typically the 12 volt wiring and items that have the main fire starting problems. It's things like poor crimp connections, binding and chafing wires and cheap 12 volt accessories that are the problem as they are not under the same wiring safety code. In looking at some of the wiring in my rig I can see where that can be the case.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
Diesel-Gypsy

There are places in my TK3 that look like the wiring was done by a Mad-Man...litterally.

Many little tweaks later things are better.

Rick