Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Gemstone

Big Trucks....

With the recent comments about truck wars and someone's uninformed comment on another forum, who also presented no facts, I'd like some big truck feedback from other owners.

1) Compared to your previous LDT's, how do your big truck maintenance costs compare ? (just what you have experienced out of pocket)

2) How did your purchase price stack up against what you paid for your previous LDT ?

In my case, so far, after 6 years, my KW has cost less that the Dodge for maintenance, and the Dodge has been very cheap so far, only a clutch, and rotors in 190K miles.

My KW modified to haul, ran me $27K, with 700K miles on it, my new '05 SRW 3500 Dodge was $37K.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Regards
Gemstone

Old 05-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Carny Bill

Big trks

Must be fun getting groceries In your kw and bikes[/i]

12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Carny Bill

Trk

Forgot to ask, what kind of fuel mileage u get with that kw?
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Old 05-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
Cummins12V98

I have noticed a lot of people with the Medium duty trucks are trying to unload them to buy a new Ram, GM or Ford with the high tow ratings.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
At the time my MDT was built (1999)and a few years after no production pick up trucks could pull or carry the weights my truck could. But as the years have moved forward, the pick up trucks now can match or even beat my numbers. That has made the value of the MDT drop as having a regular pickup is a lot more user friendly than the bigger trucks. I don't get very good mileage, 7.5 pulling, up to maybe 9 without a load, but it rarely is used without the trailer attached. It has been a great truck, with only mechanical issue, 1 water pump, 1 a/c compressor, 4 shocks and 4 tires in 110,000 miles. Now due for a set of tires, as they timed out. I've talked of selling the truck, but for the costs of the new pickup trucks, it is less costly to keep mine.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Motor31

I don't have an MDT, I have an HDT. Purchased in 04 when there were no light duty trucks with the capacity of the Excel unit I had with a GVW of 17.5k. I got it for $30k when the 1 tons were running $50k and up. I put it in D for drive and Granny likes to drive it as well.

So far, even though it was a used unit with just under 500k miles the repairs have been very few. I did have new bushings installed in the front end back in 05 at a HDT rally. The rig went through a VIS check and they said there was some minor play and it may cause some tire wear. I paid to have it done, should have waited as they botched the front end alignment and I had to get new steer tires.

Other than drive tires, one set of brake shoes (the factory originals) a muffler and exhaust elbow, I haven't had to do anything other than oil and filter stuff. Well I did replace the air bags this year, they were 13 years old and starting to weather crack.

Mileage is 8+ per gallon in the mountains and since 3/4 of my driving is in the Rockies that's the main factor. I average 7k to 8k miles per year towing. That's not bad since it tows not only the trailer but the car and carries my Goldwing as well. We use the bike and car for the daily drive around and to explore.

I figure the toter will last as long as we want to be on the road, anywhere for another 10 to 15 years or so.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
Gemstone

"Must be fun getting groceries In your kw and bikes"....

We still have the 1 ton, which is now the commute vehicle for my wife, and it pulls our cargo trailer with the scooters, kayaks and assorted other stuff.

"Forgot to ask, what kind of fuel mileage u get with that kw?" 10 to 11 pulling, which is all I use it for....no grocery gettin'. Be surprised what I can fit in the saddle bags on my wife's scooter, or in my backpack.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 05-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
billr

We switched over to the Volvo HDT after years of pickups in 2007. Our MS was around 18K loaded at the time and was over every capacity including the rear tires on our Chevy SRW. We were shopping for a Dually like 450 and with it being around $75K loaded here in Canada we opted to go the HDT route. $30K plus about 2K to get rolling we were set. We did use it for daily driver when traveling too. No issues for what we were doing. We tow about 8-10K per year.

In 2009 we added the Smart car on the back. So now the truck just tows. We spend 6 mo snowbirding and love the setup. We are glad to have the Smart.

We get between 8.5 and 10 MPG depending on terrain. Jake brake and auto shift tranny. Easy as driving a Minivan. So much more comfortable than any pickup we had. No fatigue from driving and we never even feel the trailer at all.

Repairs from failures have been very minimal. A shifter unit for the tranny was around $350 and a tranny oil cooler was around $400 with fluids. I do most my own work as well. I get wet service (oil, filters all including fuel, lube and insp once a year for $220.

Rest has been preventative work that is done on all vehicles. Costs are reasonable and not any more for the most part than pick up work I have done. Like complete front brakes all parts incl drums was $350. I did the work.

I love pickups and would have one again if it can tow the rig safely and not be overloaded, if we ever get tired of the HDT but that won't be anytime soon. At least the lasted offering in the Heavy PU market looks promising.

Tow with whatever floats yer boat!

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
Carny Bill

Trk

What type of license plate do you have for the Hdt's?[/i]
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Old 05-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
Gemstone

We are registered in South Dakota, the KW is licensed as a Noncommercial Truck, with a weight sticker for 16 tons (a combined weight of 32K, I chose the weight based on total weight and cost). As for SD drivers license, nothing special is required, I have a Class 2, car, light truck, motorcycle, which is adequate for what I drive according to SD regulations. Other state requirements may differ, but the total licensing/registration procedure is what made SD so attractive to us.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 05-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
Motor31

All of our vehicles are registered in Montana. Mine is registered as a motorhome because of the conversion I did. Since it's over 10 years old it has permanent plates now. The trailer always had permanent plates as does the motorcycle. The only thing I have to renew is the car. I also paid no sales tax on any of them.

No special license required, no stopping at weigh stations unless they require RV's to stop. Been doing it this way since 04. We will have our 10th anniversary for RVing fulltime in June 2014.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
billr

Reg as RV MH here in Ontario. $60/yr and around $600/yr full coverage insurance.

No scales no logs no issues.

We do have to have a Class AZ with airbrake Ont license due to combined wt. Any Combined wt over 26K. That recently changed so its better for pickup guys now. They can avoid the AZ.

Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote