Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
FD5

Power Loss

I am loosing power between breaker box and power cord. My set up is with a surge protector and generator prep. I have 110v leaving both legs from the surge protector into the trailer at 110v+- but at the breaker box inside I only have 110v on one leg. Where do I need to start looking for my power loss?

Thanks,
John

2011 DTMS 36TKSB3
FD5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
billr

I would start checking the main breaker in the panel, see if you have good power entering the panel from the surge protector to the main, both legs. Also check the neutral. All connections tight and not arced. If they get loose, they can heat up and cause arcing and can damage the main breaker.

As far as the Gen disconnect box, I'm not sure if the main is wired into it first and then to the main panel, if so, then look at that. It could be an issue inside it. Loose connection etc. The Gen protection is suppose to cut shore power if the genny is powered. So it may be the issue.

Just a few things for ya to start with. Good luck.

Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
keithandpenne

You have power at the power post breaker, then through the surge protector but nothing in the trailer, correct? Do you have any power on either leg of the cord? If you haven't, you might pull the cord where it plugs into the trailer, check voltage there. If no voltage there, you probably have an open in your power cord, most likely at the male end. We used to find many power cords would develop an open in the male end that plugs into the power post due to heat build-up.

As a park host, we were required to check the male ends before allowing anyone to plug in, it was amazing how many bad ones we found. We required their replacement before allowing to plug in as it would cause damage to the female receptacle in the pedestal.
2005 36TK3 #1855
2008 F450 CC Lariat
keithandpenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
RonS

Keith - So how did you check the male ends? Can't see if anything is loose or not without taking it apart??
Thanks Ron
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
RGordon

I would also have checked to see if you had 220 volts between L1 & L2. then each leg to neutral & ground inside the breaker panel.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
bstark

The simplest things first: Mains panel in the trailer as has been suggested.

The next one is not so simple but necessary as well; your Iota 50 amp transfer panel that is part of your genny prep package in the service bay near the convertor & water pump etc.

That little beauty is responsible to throughput your two legs, either from your incoming line or a generator to the mains panel.

I was having brown outs in the rig and upon testing found the power pedestal to be perfectly fine along with all of the wiring in the mains panel BUT when i took the lid off that transfer panel I could smell the ozone immediately. At least half of the connections in that box were loose!

Your problerm may lie within that panel.