Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
GlennWest

receiver on MS

My recently purchased used MS has a 12" drop hitch with a 2" ball in receiver on back of coach. Came like this from previous owner. What are these receivers capable of pulling? I know I'm rather limited with my current truck because it's probably close to it's load limit legally.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
I don't think that is a standard from the factory optional hitch.

2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
wingnut60
Site Team

receiver

Next time out, stop by a welding shop and let them look it over and pass judgement on the integrity.
And, yes, you are probably so close to any tow limits that you shouldn't consider anything but an auxiliary carrier for stuff you don't want to put inside the basement. There are several expanded metal carriers for up to 500 lbs that use a standard 2" receiver.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
GlennWest

I'm a welder. It's what I do for a living. The underside has not been tampered with so no one other than factory has welded back there. It's obvious that previous owner done some dingy towing. Was wondering what factory receiver was capable of.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
billr

I think the only hitch the factory puts on and even approves is the small 1.5" reciever for a bike rack. Unless this has changed......
Some folks had these and they got pulled off on a low drive.

Anyone with a 2" class 3 reciever has had one custom added to the frame.

With the 32' you may not have as big an issue with overhang and dragging the hitch. I would take a good look under the belley cover to see what was done. I'm sure you will be able to see if its got what you need.

As far as towing limitations, you could ask DRV, but I think they will tell you no towing. There are folks out there doing all sorts of towing though, from motorcylces on Swivel wheel trailers to cars and Jeeps. You have to decide for your self what feels right.

Like mentioned before, adding a cargo rack for 2-300lbs should not pose too much an issue on the trailer. Towing anything behind it is a big departure and taken on with a lot of thought and setup. Not a big fan of doing that, but some folks make it work.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Motor31

The only option we had was the bike receiver hitch in 05. We got that. Bad mistake given the "quality" of welding at the DT factory. Thank heavens that Lippert did the welding for the main frame or the trailer would have collapsed by the first week. The folks at DT didn't know a weld from epoxy as far as I can see from what they did on the unit. That goes for the shock mounts as well. I'm not a welder but I know a good weld when I see one and could have done a better job myself.

We currently tow a toad from the rear of the trailer. I had a custom fabricator set it up in Tucson and have had very good results with it for going on 2 years now.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
GlennWest

Mine is a 2" receiver. I looked under the coach and not even the paint on the screws has been disturbed. This is all factory. Now, next to door on my MS it reads "Custom built". Could this have something to do with the receiver or is all MS custom built?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
GlennWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31
The only option we had was the bike receiver hitch in 05. We got that. Bad mistake given the "quality" of welding at the DT factory. Thank heavens that Lippert did the welding for the main frame or the trailer would have collapsed by the first week. The folks at DT didn't know a weld from epoxy as far as I can see from what they did on the unit. That goes for the shock mounts as well. I'm not a welder but I know a good weld when I see one and could have done a better job myself.

We currently tow a toad from the rear of the trailer. I had a custom fabricator set it up in Tucson and have had very good results with it for going on 2 years now.
Not doubting your knowledge of welding. No where in the code books does it say that a weld has to look good. Only be solid (no pin holes, referred as porosity), no undercut and of sufficient amount of weld to hold load (at least as thick a fillet as the parent metal). I've seen some "ugly" welds that were acceptable, good welds.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
RGordon

GlennWest, It is obvious by reading all the Lippert welding issues and compliants on these forums that they have a poor quality control when it comes to welding. I understand they use machines that automatically weld their frames. If you are in doubt what you can tow, you need to do an inspection of the spring hangers and up in the pinbox section and just take a look at the welding job. It looks like a kid welded it. You being a certified pipe welder you need to be the one that makes the decision. If you plan of towing a vehicle behind the MS, the pressure will mostly be on the spring hangers and pinbox, even though they do have a 15 inch frame. That is only as good as the axles and pinbox when turning. I sure wish DRV would improve their specifications on the frames they use. I have been a certified welder most of my life and personally would not put anything larger than a bicycle rack no matter how large the receiver is.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
Motor31

GlennWest,
These were all cold tack welds, no penetration of the metal from either the frame or hitch. The only thing holding the parts together was the slag from the welding rod. I actually posted pix here of the "welds" they put on my hitch after it broke loose and damaged the trailer. All you see are welding rod slag dots with no blending of the base metals from either the frame or hitch.

The hitch was mounted by DT, NOT lippert. Lippert ships the basic frames to the RV manufacturer who adds any additional options you order. Lippert didn't even put on the shock mounts for the frames. The difference in welds was orders of magnitude apart when you compare them.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #11
GlennWest

I don't doubt what you are saying. Only reason I posted like I did, many people think a stick weld is poor and a tig is good because of the difference in looks. A tig weld can be a thing of beauty done by a professional. Stick is, well, stick. A good bead looks just so good and that's that. But both are good quality welds done right. I have not looked at the shock mounts on my MS. You have got me curious now. To see the hitch welding involves removing the bottom covering the insulation. Some re caulking also. Given my limitations on pulling probably not worth the trouble. Would love to pull my wife's 07 Civic, would be too much for my truck though even if hitch was up to job. Thanks everyone and God bless.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #12
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck

Check out my spring hangers compared to many I've seen on DRV products built after this.
#2163 2005 RE3, Apparently Lipert changed them for the worst for such a heavy trailer.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:29 AM   #13
Jack in Alaska

Last winter in Az. I saw a 32' MS with a 20' tandem axle flatbed trailer hooked on behind. It was loaded with an 11' pick-up camper, a Harley Davidson motorcycle and a whole bunch of gas cans and camping gear.
Probably headed to the dunes in S. Calif.
Quite a load on that MS.

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote