Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
berghild

Send a message via AIM to berghild
propane problem

it is cold this morning in las vegas...about 32. i tried to start the LP generator and it tried but couldn't quite kick over. that made one of the burners on the stove go out and I can't re light it. the other burner is barely going....the furnace went out. the water heater and the refer kept burning but I have to wonder what kind of a flame they are getting.
Howard fired up the Hondas so we have the electric heater going....we may be moving to an RV park if we can't figure this out.
Any ideas on what's causing this? I hate to go to the trouble of moving today when we have to move on Tuesday anyway to go to shop for the fridge situation anyway

EDGE CHIP,exhaust brake,ATS tranny, ATS turbo, AFE sir filter
ETC
2008 36TK3 ES3917/no granite
berghild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
nelsonraymond

Send a message via AIM to nelsonraymond
Hi
A few years ago we had a bad regulator on on propane system, it was not letting out enough propane.
Janice

nelsonraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
layne

We had a problem in extremely cold weather making the propane work. Finally got someone from the factory to tell us to make sure both bottles are open, that one is not enough. We always just have one bottle going, but when we opened both, it worked fine.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
berghild

Send a message via AIM to berghild
propane

it must be the regulator. opening both bottles did not help and the "full or empty" thing is showing red ....both bottles were just filled. I rmember having a reulator go bad on my previous rig but I don't remember what the symptoms were.....more brain cells dead from margaritas I guess.
EDGE CHIP,exhaust brake,ATS tranny, ATS turbo, AFE sir filter
ETC
2008 36TK3 ES3917/no granite
berghild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
rverdlm

The reason that having both bottles open in cold wether is important is that when it gets really cold you can only get about half the tank used before the pressure in the tank (this is caused by the liquid essentially boiling) becomes to low to operate the appliances. The full tank will still work. Another problem that I have had is tipping the full tank when lifting it into it's space. This causes liquid to get into the valve area thereby preventing the gas from getting out. What I did was to allow some gas out by loosening the green connector. You'll hear a little escape each time you loosen it with the valve open. I'm now very carful not to tip the tank when it's full.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
Motor31

A temperature of 30 degrees shouldn't be enough to slow the gas flow that much. I've been down to the teens and not had any problems with propane flowing even on a low single tank. I think it's time to check the regulator. You can try tapping it with the handle of a screw driver to see if that helps but otherwise I believe you will need to do a replacement. They aren't that big of a deal to replace.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote