Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
Motor31

Sliding door check

This is an issue that dates back to the delivery of our rig. I thought it had been repaired but it showed up again.

The sliding door between the bedroom and kitchen of our rig fell into the basement on the first trip from the dealer. It was fixed when we went back the next day. There were too few screws used to hold the track up that supports a rather heavy door.

The other night I was closing the door and noticed that the edge of the door wasn't square with the door frame. There was a larger gap at the top and no gap at the bottom. I pulled the wooden cover from the bedroom side to look at the door hanging bolts to see about adjusting it. I found that the door rail was sagging in the middle of the door opening. Some of the screws had pulled loose. When I tried to tighten them one just fell out. It was less than 3/4 inch long meaning less than 3/8 was actually in the main wooden support bracket.

I got some 1 1/4 inch screws and replaced the loose ones with them to re secure the door rail. I had to take the door off of the rail to do this which is not real easy as the door is pretty darn heavy. It also will not come out of the track area so you have to work around it a bit. It is far easier to do this repair before the door falls into the basement so I strongly advise you check it and see if the rail is starting to sag.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
BobW

Our RV has been in the shop a number of times for this. We had out door slid open while traveling. I got tired of it and used a heavy shower rod to keep the door open. I also use a budgie cord hooked from the kitchen door to the latch to make sure the door stays closed. The dealer replaced the door because the door hit so hard it broke the glue joints. I think there are adjustments on top of the door to correct the level. Look at the roller hardware to see.

2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Motor31

Bob,

I was checking and going to adjust the level of the door when I saw the entire rail assembly was sagging and coming loose from the roof of the trailer. Using the adjustments was no good as it was going to pull out of the roof entirely. All of the weight of the door is held by the aluminum rail in the roof and that is held in by a few screws. In our case it was too few screws and they were also too short for the job.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
BobW

My rail came loose also. I pre drilled and placed larger screws.
There is enough wood up there to hold the screws. My advice is not to travel without securing the door, other then the latch at the bottom. When you hit a bump, the door moves up and the latch comes out of the hole and your door will go for a ride.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote