Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
betty stevenson

Fresh Water Tank overflowing constantly??

:?: When we run street water into the coach, somehow the fresh water tank is filling, overflowing and flowing out of the bottom--we will soon have a small river next to our campsite--we're not happy! Several men have come by, climbed inside, fiddled with valves and walked away as our river kept flowing. We did not INTENTIONALLY fill that tank, since we're plugged into water, but somehow, once we finally got the hot water working, then we started a river flowing 'cause the fresh water tank filled.

HELP, please! Thank you.

Betty Stevenson
Still proud owner of #684--still absolutely love it!

betty stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
rdunk

Did the problem just start, after working on the water heater??

It sounds like that somehow maybe a line coming "from" the fresh water tank has been inadvertantly connected to a city water line connection inside the 5er, like mabye when you were working with the water heater??? But then, that would be too simple!!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:48 PM   #3
betty stevenson

Fresh Water Tank overflowing constantly??

We didn't actually "work on" the hot water heater--just de-winterized it and found the valve to turn so it would come into the coach--but yes, it did only start after that, but we don't know how or why and everyone who's come by and fiddled with the valves has not figured it out. We've asked DT to send us a schematic, or answer us, so guess that will be this next week's calls, and maybe we'll get it fixed next week-end--and then see what else happens!

Betty Stevenson
Still proud owner of 684
Old 03-23-2008, 12:11 AM   #4
2 DA WDS

Did you try turning OFF what you turned ON to get hot water to see if that stopped the fw tank from filling. There should be a valve between the pump and the fresh water tank for winterizing but you could shut that valve off to stop water from going to the tank. There should be a check valve in the pump that stops water from flowing back through it.
2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
rverdlm

Since the only thing that isolates the fresh water tank from the city water is the pump, I would suspect that the pump membrain is ruptured. Try taking the pump input line of the pump and see if water comes out of the pump. It should not. The only way water can get into the tank is through the fill hole which is not pressurized or through the tank output line which should go directly to the pump input. So unless someone reconfigured the the coaches plumbing this should be the problem.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
sigo'suite

This happened to me and it started overflowing out the fill cap.

Turn off the outside water source and try running your 12 volt onboard water pump for a while and do this every so often if you don't use the pump much.

Someone gave me the advice mentioned above and it cured the problem.

Guess somehow there is some part of the system which needs to be "exorcised" periodically to keep it from going bonkers!!
sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
betty stevenson

Where's that valve?

Where's the valve that cuts the input line to the water pump? We can't seem to figure out which of the many valves that is?

We did run it on the 12 volt all night and that didn't stop it.

Betty Stevenson
Old 03-23-2008, 11:24 PM   #8
2 DA WDS

Betty, I posted a reply and picture on the SOITC forum for you.
2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
Gemstone

[/quote]Betty, I posted a reply and picture on the SOITC forum for you
Quote:

2 DA WNS.....

How about posting here as well, some of us are not members of the other forum.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 03-24-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
betty stevenson

Spoke too soon...more water problems

Well, thought everything was fixed, I had hot water, washed my dishes and had no leaks outside the compartment, the fresh water tank wasn't filling and overflowing, and the valve the guys said was the by-pass valve had been turned and everything was honky-dorrey (sp.?). So, when my husband came home and we opened the compartment to show him, he said, it's all wet in here (on top of a metal box), he said, "someone turned this valve that made it leak in here again!"...well, wouldn't you know it, that was the valve that I thought had solved all the problems, gave me hot water and stopped the leaking outside the trailer. I'd been checking every 20 minutes or so..no leaks. So, then we had to leave to go home, he turned the water off and brought the hose in (since it's supposed to snow this week). So, next Saturday when we go back, we go back to square one, either not having hot water, or leaking outside the trailer again and have to have a new set of guys come over to try to help us!!! Help!

I've asked Kent at DT to send me a schematic for our particular unit, since the one shown on the website, presumably for 2008, is not at all like our 2003--even when you guys write that there's a yellow wire or green valve or something--ours are all black! No colors, no markings, nothing!

Any further help would again be appreciated so we can start working on it again next Saturday. Thanks so much.

Betty Stevenson
Old 03-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #11
jack_diane_freedom

Same thing happened to me. There is a check valve in the water pump that prevents the water from going back into the tank and this is faulty. It opens when using the pump to draw water out of the tank and closes when on city water hook up. The only way to fix it is to change the water pump. It could be just some crap on the check valve but there is no way to get at it. You could run the pump for a long period of time and see if it clears but if not you will have to change the pump.
jack_diane_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:00 AM   #12
Hobo

Jack is totally correct. Been there, don that. I still have the old pump and it pumps good just a leaky check valve lets the fresh tank over fill when hooked to city water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_diane_freedom
Same thing happened to me. There is a check valve in the water pump that prevents the water from going back into the tank and this is faulty. It opens when using the pump to draw water out of the tank and closes when on city water hook up. The only way to fix it is to change the water pump. It could be just some crap on the check valve but there is no way to get at it. You could run the pump for a long period of time and see if it clears but if not you will have to change the pump.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #13
betty stevenson

I think the problem is solved

Well, we thought it was solved last week-end, when we had hot water and no drips all afternoon and evening (after using up all the water in the fresh water tank), then the next morning manager told us he'd had to turn our water off during the night 'cause it was overflowing again. So far, this week-end, we're not dripping/filling up the fresh water tank.

Now, another problem, our filter has been dripping all the time (each week-end). This week-end I've been putting towels out there and filling them up in about 3 hours. My husband has tightened everything as best he could, and we've turned the pressure down at the faucet, but still dripping, some of the insulation is wet, and who knows what else...anyone have this problem, that the water filter that all the house water goes through in the basement continually drips?

Thanks again for all your help.

Betty Stevenson
Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #14
Carny Bill

This might be dumb, but I would check the water pressure in the campground. Sounds like maybe it is high an causing these problems.

PS, closing the facet does not cut down on the water pressure at all. U could just put a $7 water pressure regulator on it an see what happens..

Hope this helps...Bill
12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #15
betty stevenson

We have a pressure regulator on it

We do have a pressure regulator on the city faucet. I doubt the pressure is too high in this old campground--if anything, it's too low! We only have 30 amp electricity and have to turn the heaters off when we run the microwave or boil the kettle! They're still upgrading sites from 15 amp to 30!

Betty Stevenson
'03 Suite #684
Old 04-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #16
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
It sounds to me like the little bubber O-ring in the filter housing is not correct. Or fell out of place before screwing it together..

I know mine is way too small for the houseing. I have to use vasaline to hold it in place before I can screw the housing back on.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #17
jack_diane_freedom

For the water filter problem I would shut off the water and take the filter cover off and check the 'O' ring. Could have a bit of crap in it and or small crack or pinch.
jack_diane_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #18
jandersen

This my first post so here goes. My Elite Suite had a water leak periodically that I had a terrible time finding. I thought it was the water filter, so I checked O rings looked for cracks and could not find it. Finally I guess it was just the right temperature and I found it leaking from the inlet elbow. The factory had not put any sealant there, so I put teflon tape on the fitting reinstalled it and no more water leak.

When my fresh water tank over flowed I thought about the pump and ran it a few times and that stopped the flow. Good Luck
jandersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #19
Carny Bill

water pump

I am now having my fresh water tank overflow when hooked to city water. I called surflo and they advised me there is a check valve somewhere between the pump output and the water heater.

I have not had time to look for this yet. Anyone know of this????
12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:27 AM   #20
igotjam

Carney Bill
I am by no means an expert but after having the sureflo pump replaced, the output hose from my pump ruptured. As I recall there was a short hose that went from the pump output directly to the water manifold. I don't recall a check valve in there. Like I said..I'm not an expert so perhaps I'm incorrect.

igotjam is offline   Reply With Quote