Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
rverdlm

G114 Tire failure

While doing my normal walk-around at each stop I found that the left front tire on the trailer had lost a piece of tread. It was in the center of the tire and was about 15 inches long. I changed the tire and took it to the GY dealer. The pro-rated charge was $50, but he nailed me for $30 worth of labor! At least we found it before at came apart and hurt the trailer. I can't emphasize enough to really check your tires at each stop.

2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Wow Dave, good thing you did the walk around check. I do, but I see so many that don't. I have not heard much in the way of problems with that tire. Did the tire dealer give any indication as to what he thought might have caused it?

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Thanks for the heads up Dave.

Can I ask if it was a 16" or 17.5" tire?
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
macie

Let me add my Goodyear story. On the trip up to Central SOITC Rally at Hannibal MO. In September. We lost tread off left rear tire. Damaged some cables underneath, side skirt, and fender. Called Goodyear Damage Claim (a number that every one should Keep close to your heart) at (800-322-4682). They said to purchase a new Goodyear and they would reimburse me for it and pay for the damages on the MS. We were delayed three days in Columbia, waiting for replacement tire. Ewers Tire Inc., a Goodyear dealer, charged me $402.86. One tire mounted, balanced, and tax. I rolled it in and out of their store, I Jacked up the MS and changed it in the street.

Had a great time at Central Rally. Sunday went to Trail Air in Goshen, IN had Level-Up and Trail Glider Hitch Pin installed. Can’t say enough about Dale Fenton and his crew.

On the way South to SOITC Indiana State Rally we lost tread off the right front tire on MS. This time extensive damage on right side. Called Goodyear Damage Claim (at the number I keep close to my heart) They said sounds like I need Four new tires. Pomps Tire in Indianapolis fixed us up. Four new G614 RST mounted, balanced, and installed on MS $105.49 total. Great people.

After much fun at the Rally went back north to Indiana Interstate in Lagrange, IN. Paul and Kay Cross stated they could take care of everything. Kay took care of all claims with Goodyear. Paul repaired MS as good as new.

We have received checks from Goodyear for Motel expense, tire and mounting fees.

The old tires had a build date of 12th week 2006. About 20,000 miles kept 110 lb. Pressure. Drove at 60 mph most of the time. Checked temperature with infrared gage at most stops. Had weight checked by Stacey Franks of Weigh it Portable Scales in Goshen.
Heavy but not overweight.
11 MS 36 RSSB #5770
Level Up, Trail Air Tri-Glider, Straight Line Towing
2013 3500 RAM DRW 2 wheel Drive Lets Roll
macie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
mcfarlak

Tire pressure

What is the proper tire pressure for an Elite Suite 38RL3?
mcfarlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
jdwilson3

17.5 tire pressure

Run at the max....125psi.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
For the G tires, it is imperative to run 110 psi.

If the H tires are installed, and you know what each wheel is carrying because you have weighed by wheel position, you can use the tire pressure chart supplied by Goodyear/Michelin to run the correct pressures for the load. If you don't know what your trailer weighs at each corner, run the max till you do. Once you know those numbers, you inflate all tires to carry the heaviest load.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
Lauren

I have the G614RST 235/85R16 load range G. on the MS. I monitor tires all the time and put at 108psi min, 110psi max. Even carry a 120vac air compressor in the truck.

Lost tread on the left rear last Thur. Some damage underneath but nothing major - might have gotten a hydraulic line or two though. The tread was still hung up on the trailer. Amazingly, the casing was intact and still at full pressure!

After GS ERS got me changed and all - they did a good job - we made it home fine; it was out final day out.

I call a Goodyear dealer in Tucson. There is no warranty he tells me. My buddy, John Wilson (jdwilson3), gave me the Goodyear number. I call them and am treated very well. Got a file number. Tells me to bring it in and they will then Fed Ex it to GY for analysis, etc. And to get estimate on the trailer and send in. If it is truly a ply issue they will credit me for the price of the tire and the repairs to the 5er.

Call 2 Goodyear stores and get a price of $50 apart on the same tire!

Taking the tire and tread in tomorrow. And will have to bring the 5er someplace for repair; probably LaMesa in Tucson where I have had work done before and they are excellent - but do not know for this sort of thing.

I refuse to even slow down going by Crist in Phoenix - what a joke that operation is. I wonder if Slick is still there. Known for his famous comment to me - when we were looking to buy - "That is my best price; but make me an offer!" This was after a couple of hours with people who did not know a 5th wheel from a motorhome so to speak. They could not understand why I would not sign for a new unit even though they were not out yet for the new year, they did not have brochures on them and they could not answer my questions! Duh. (But I digress!).

Will let you know how it comes out.

Lauren
2006 Chevy 3LT Dmax (LB3)
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #9
rverdlm

Been off line for a couple of days while traveling. Stacy; The GY dealer said that he has hundreds of these tires on commercial trailers that haul bulldozers around and get much worse abuse than we would ever give them and has had almost zero failures. BTW for those that don't know me they are the 17.5 G114 tires.
Full time since '96
Old 10-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
Motor31

If you are looking for the 17" tires I strongly suggest you do NOT go to a standard Goodyear dealer. Go to one that handles trucks and large vehicles. That's what these tires were designed to handle. Those dealers will be familiar with the size and ratings for them and have jacks rated for the trailer. With our old trailer when a G614 G rated tire blew I had to loan the tire shop my jack as all they had were 2 ton capacity jacks.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
rverdlm

Mike, that's where we. We called Kansas land GY and they sent us to their commercial shop. They were doing big trucks and were putting tires on a very large frontend loader. They had 9 of these tires in stock and they said that they mostly put them on commercial trailers.
Full time since '96
Old 06-11-2009, 08:17 AM   #12
Diesel-Gypsy

Goodyear G-614RST

Well, I finally got to experience a tread separation on one of my trailer tires.
The tread peeled completely off the tire casing.
I had checked all tires 2 hours before departure.
Road speed was consistant, and under 65mph.
There was no explosion, or horrific scene to report.
I had pulled off the highway for a lunch & "rest" stop.
Went around the truck and trailer as usual, and there it was, the left front tire, fully inflated, but no tread.
There was some damage to the drian pipe, and the metal band that carries the wiring & propane to the kitchen slide, as well as the wheel well tin-work.

I took pictures, and changed out the tire & wheel with the spare.

Once home I e-mailed Goodyear, and was taken care of of promptly.
The team involved gave me a list of things I should do to expedite my claim.
I complied, and in 3 weeks all is well.
The check for damage & replacement tire arrived yesterday.
All in all a very good experience from the Goodyear folks!

Rick
Old 06-15-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
wannabe

Something to remember about getting reimbursed from Goodyear....keep your tire and tread (if possible) even if you have to go back a mile or so to pick it up (safely). They need the tires to find out why there was a failure. I have heard where they are not paying for damage because the failed tire has not been sent to Goodyear.

wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote