Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
berghild

Send a message via AIM to berghild
GE Advantium Bulb and baking

I called GE and they sent a guy out to replace the burned out bulb and he refused to because it involved the cabinetry.....grrrr. Now have to wait for dealer to do it. And if we weren't already scheduled for service we would have to make a special trip just for that....seems a little absurd. He said even if it was in a house he wouldn't be able to touch it because of the cabinetry....now that's really nuts. THen who would you call?
I swear I HATE that oven...it's a curse. I have tried your hints for keeping the oblong pan from turning and that worked but then the back of the dish burns....so I guess rectangles are out of the question unless I take it out every few minutes and turn it around. Will go to silicone, round and bundt....but no more big lasagne or oblong cakes. Cyndy

EDGE CHIP,exhaust brake,ATS tranny, ATS turbo, AFE sir filter
ETC
2008 36TK3 ES3917/no granite
berghild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
rverdlm

I had the same problem with the GE repair man. I just removed the oven and sat it on the island and he fixed it. To remove it I put wood blocks under it, removed the screws, then I lifted it a little and the wife removed a block. We repeated that process until it was sitting on the counter. Reversed the process to put it back in. It was a lot easier than it sounds.

2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #3
berghild

well this guy shows up. tells us the micro is not working....funny we just finished using it...oh yeah i guess it is working after all he says. then DH tell him teh convection is not heating correctly.
well, it turns out that oven when set at 350 is only heating to maybe 280. so they are sending some part out next week.
repairman did not inspire a lot of confidence...had to be on the phone to be talked through every move....but at least it is going to be be fixed next week...in the meantime it is sitting on the counter.
it is a comedy of errors.
ETC
Old 05-02-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
hitchup

Re: GE Advantium Bulb and baking

Quote:
Originally Posted by berghild
... He said even if it was in a house he wouldn't be able to touch it because of the cabinetry....now that's really nuts. THen who would you call?
That's bizarre, since these are installed into cabinetry even in a house. Our GE repairman didn't have any problem trying to figure out how to remove the wooden panel in the front and replacing our interior light bulb. It might be the Advantium setup is more complex and they prefer to work on it in the "shop". Sounds like you got a guy "in Training", so it only made it worse.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
bstark

Another sign of the times, we get to pay for serivce tech's on the job training. I will attempt almost any job just to prevent some bozo really making a mess of it.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #6
Gunship Guy

Cyndy,
Don't give up yet. Try this if you're experiencing burning on the back portion of the pan:
-take an empty rectangle or round pan and place it upside-down on the bottom of the convection oven
-put the full pan on top of that for cooking

By raising the full pan off the bottom of the oven and away from the heat source you won't get spot burning. Also, the bottom pan will help deflect the heat.

You may have to adjust cooking times. I use the covection oven exclusively for cooking/baking. I can't remember the last time I used the gas oven. I like the speed of the conv oven.
Gunship Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
berghild

I will love it when i actually get the speed part....with the temp screwed up it took 2 hours to get the bread almost done. bought a rack...it's round but what the heck...and that should raise it up enough...and did remove the spindle anyway...the burning was on the top of the back of the rectangle pan ..well top and side...so maybe not enough air circulating back there...it looked like a blow torch got it..couldn't see it because of the burned out bulb. Parts have arrived the tech comes back on MOnday...wonder if it will be the same guy.
ETC
Old 05-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
berghild

3 visits from GE and even he can't make it work....no wonder I hated it. GE is sending us a new oven!
ETC
Old 07-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
chismtrail_er

Can't resist responding, since I made mod to my convection oven panel everyone is complaining about. I removed the paned, and affixed hinges and jerry-rigged a cabinet sliding bracket similar to the way the cook-top cover locks in place when open. Could use spring-loaded hinges.

Easy access to the convection lamp. My wife uses the space under the (now) hinged panel for spices. Note, you have to add some scrap 1/8" plywood to block the ends..it's easy too.

I'd attach a picture, but we sold MS 36TK3 #1557 and got a Tiffin Phaeton MH last March. Saw many of you at the rally in Amana. Many fond wishes.

05 36TK3 #1557
DirecWay/DirecTV
chismtrail_er is offline   Reply With Quote