Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2019, 11:05 PM   #1
Narnia

Design flaw in Mobile Suite to cause leaks?

Hi everyone! We have looked at two MS 36SR3...2008 and 2010.

In both of them, the floor in the rear of the coach had water intrusion below the window area. The 2008's wall on the passenger's side was rotten and cracked and the carpeted floor was darkly stained near the walls. The baseboards and the corner moldings were loose. The passenger's side was worse than the driver's side.

The 2010 had signs of this exact same problem in the early stages. The carpet had been wet repeatedly, so that the computer hutch that was sitting there had grown mold on the hutch and on the carpet, leaving a black impression. Once again, the passenger's side (the wall had already bowed out towards the outside) was worse than the driver's side. The baseboards, as well as corner moldings were loose.

Is this typical of the MS? Is it an inherent design / structural flaw? Does anyone know what would cause this issue? Has anyone had this issue? How have you remedied it?

Thanks for your help and input!

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
anijet

I fixed this problem on my '07 when I first noticed slight moisture on the floor - Ours was the off door side in the very back under the small window (in the corner). The skin lap under the belt line trim isn't like shingles so water runs off. The lower panel overlaps the upper panel so if the sealant is compromised water tends to run between the lap joint, into the wall onto the floor. I took the trim off and cleaned off all the old sealer between the skin joint. I resealed between the skins and riveted them together. I added plenty of sealer under the trim during re-installation and sealed the top seam of the installed trim. I keep an eye on the other side and make sure the chalking is good. No problem since.

anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #3
Narnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by anijet View Post
I fixed this problem on my '07 when I first noticed slight moisture on the floor - Ours was the off door side in the very back under the small window (in the corner). The skin lap under the belt line trim isn't like shingles so water runs off. The lower panel overlaps the upper panel so if the sealant is compromised water tends to run between the lap joint, into the wall onto the floor. I took the trim off and cleaned off all the old sealer between the skin joint. I resealed between the skins and riveted them together. I added plenty of sealer under the trim during re-installation and sealed the top seam of the installed trim. I keep an eye on the other side and make sure the chalking is good. No problem since.

So, this is a common problem then. You would think that the top skin should overlap the bottom so that water would shed. Would it have soaked the insulation between the walls? How would you know if it had gotten wet?
Old 04-20-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
anijet

I don't know if it's common or not. In our case the insulation was damp. I dried it out overnight with a couple of fans before reassembly. No mold then or now.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #5
Narnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by anijet View Post
I don't know if it's common or not. In our case the insulation was damp. I dried it out overnight with a couple of fans before reassembly. No mold then or now.
How were you able to access the insulation?
Old 04-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #6
stanleyz

My 05 leaks back there for 8 years or longer. I think that part of the trailer takes a real beating when towed. I have found leaks from scare lights, horizontal trim, side marker light and window. I have installed a couple marine deck inspection plates beneath the rear side windows. There is a vertical there and a six inch plate placed right on it lets me feel in front of and behind the vertical. Takes only a few seconds for each side. I check them after every hard rain.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:16 PM   #7
anijet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
How were you able to access the insulation?

Time has passed and I don't remember all the details but I think I removed the elect cord compartment door and frame to allow the skin to be pried open a little. I didn't remove the insulation, just let the fan dry it out. It was sunny outside so it dried quickly.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:20 PM   #8
stanleyz

Yeah, that 110 AC plug comes right out and can get a hair drier snout in there but when I'm done my hands and arms always look like I've been in a gang fight. I like the inspection plates much better.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:47 PM   #9
Narnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyz View Post
Yeah, that 110 AC plug comes right out and can get a hair drier snout in there but when I'm done my hands and arms always look like I've been in a gang fight. I like the inspection plates much better.
That is too funny!!
Old 04-22-2019, 03:29 PM   #10
MTK46

I don't know if this is a common problem or not. My 2011 I just bought used in Dec. came from Oregon. No sign at all of any water leakage. Pryor owners traded it in at the same dealer they bought it from. They custom ordered another Mobile Suites. So that tells me they were happy with it.
2011 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 #5556
2017 F-350 CC 6.7 diesel dually, Banks Derringer tuner with super gauge
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #11
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I purchased a new 2004 in 2004 and kept it 11 years. Every year without fail, I was on the roof examining all the seams, seals and any protrusions through the roof for a sign of leaks. If it even looked iffy, I removed the old caulk and resealed. In all the years of ownership, not one leak. But I was aware of the cauling failure and made sure I never let mine get that far. I also washed the roof two times a year with Spic & Span with a soft brush. My white roof was still white when I sold the trailer.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #12
Narnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
I don't know if this is a common problem or not. My 2011 I just bought used in Dec. came from Oregon. No sign at all of any water leakage. Pryor owners traded it in at the same dealer they bought it from. They custom ordered another Mobile Suites. So that tells me they were happy with it.
That's great to hear! It could be that they may have corrected the problem by then, if it WAS a common issue.