Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 10:40 AM   #1
Pete Morris

Happy to be here!!

Just want to introduce myself, and let you all know how thankful I am for finding this site.

My Wife and I have been camping for 30+ years and have spent the last 6 years pulling a 5th wheel. We currently have a 2008 Cougar, and when I first purchased it, the salesman told me that my F-150 SB would handle it "no problem". It didn't take me long to realize that it may pull it OK, but stopping it may be a completely different issue. So we moved up to an F-250 5.4L gasser.

In the past 6 months we have been looking for a new 5th wheel and really fell in love with a couple of the bigger Montana's. Again the salesman assured us that we had the right TV. We have not made the purchase yet, but after taking a trip through the mountains of NC with our current set-up, I realized the salesman did not know what he is talking about, and I had better take my own fate in my own hands.

I sat down and have tried to understand all of the different weight limitations, and I believe that I am now "entry level educated" on towing a 5th wheel. So, long story short we are now looking for a new TV as well as a new 5th wheel.

I am ready to sign for a 2015 F-350 6.7L 4x4 SRW in order to pull either a Montana Front Kitchen, or Front Living Room, and just want to be sure and double sure of EVERYTHING prior to signing my name on the bottom lines.

This site has been very informative, with helpful members who seem willing to offer advice and help to those that need it.

I am Happy to be here.

Pete Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:00 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Just be sure of the Rear Axle Weight Rating on the truck--it won't be any higher than the combined capacity of the rear tires. Then see if you can test drive one and get it weighed, getting the unloaded rear axle weight. Next, take the GVWR of the trailer (max it should ever weigh) and multiply by 20%--this will be ball park of what the pin weight could be on the fiver. The pin weight is going to be on your rear axle, and that is where the problem could lie.
If you take the unloaded rear axle weight (too bad you won't be loaded as for going camping) away from the gross rear axle weight, that leaves you what pin weight the truck can carry. At this point, depending on the size of the Montana, you may be looking at a dually...
I went thru the graduating sizes of trucks until I got to my F450, but my Suites is very heavy compared to a Montana.
Joe
Hey, and welcome to the Forum.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:20 AM   #3
Pete Morris

Wingnut;

Thank you for all the information you have been very helpful not only in this response, but also in a lot of the research that I have been doing on this site.

We also have been doing the graduated truck thing over the past several years, and I am really trying to stop that cycle right now. In my attempt to pair the right truck with the right trailer, I am a little bit at a disadvantage, because all I have to work with is imaginary or historical numbers. I can make my best guess possible at what the truck or trailer really weights, and I certainly have paid attention to historical data here from what people with similar setups have posted as real time weights.

What I'm trying to avoid is investing $60.000 into a TV only to find out it will not handle the 5'er that we are interested in, or buying the 5'er first, (at another $60,000) only to discover I need a bigger truck than expected. Spending that type on money that does not come lightly to us, so I want to be as sure as possible prior to purchasing.

I am really trying to stay away from the dual wheel set up, as aside from pulling the camper the truck will also be my everyday vehicle, and the dual rear tires has some disadvantages in everyday living.

Living in Myrtle Beach, I have the ability to observe lots of TV / trailer set-ups. I see lots of F-350 pulling similar rigs, (but that in itself does not make it right), so I believe that I should be just fine. Hell I even see F-250 6.7's pulling them which is what I originally intended on buying.

Even if I could get the dealer to let me take a 3820FK for a test weigh; which I don't believe will happen, I do not yet own the F-350 nor is it set up to pull a trailer, so this is currently not an option.

What comes first? The chicken or the egg? I guess it may be time to jump into the deep end of the pool.
Pete Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

Pete,
I am not necessarily of the opinion that one can never exceed any of the vehicle ratings--lots of components are individually rated for more than the mfg will list it at--rear axles are in that list. In a SRW, the real weight rating that would govern any weight that I would put on the rear axle would be less by (hopefully) 20% of the tire capacity on the rear axle. Normally, that weight limitation is going to be around 7500lbs, but careful shopping can find some tires more robust, or one can simply put a set of 19.5" wheels and tires on.
There are 18 and 20" tires available on the 350s--not sure which tire is rated higher, or which size would be easier to find a higher-capacity rating.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote