Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
BobW

Winegard Movin' View

Ever sence we got our dome, we've had a problem with it. I can't seam to get all the transponders. I think it's posibly a week signal. Most of the transponders had a signal of about 50, 0r 60. On transponder 21 I get a 100 percent signal, but only on that transponder. Dish says it's a Winegard problem and I think there right. As of now,, I can't get ESPN, the weather channel and about 8 more, I don't know how many. I called Winegurd and I can't seam to get through. Any ideas? Our old crank up unit allways had a signal of over 100 percent on all transponders. We have this problem at all locations and in the clear.

2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:37 AM   #2
hitchup

We've never had very high readings even on the freestanding dish. Can't recall, but 60 - 71 is more like what we found. Think that's why we suffer from rain fade easily. Of course, we've usually been at far Eastern Coast sites & maybe that's part of it.
Started with DishNet, but switched to DirecTV after a few months with Winegard because of switching problems on bedroom TV while changing channels on main one.

Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
Motor31

I can't comment on Dish as we have Directv. We use the older style autoseek dish winegard.This is the second one of those we have had and on a different trailer. Both operated the same and use the same receiver. The only problem we have is that it has a small communication problem with the receiver in that it will find and lock on to the satelite, then continue hunting breaking the lock. I learned to shut it off after the signal is peaked. I get an average sig strength of 95 everywhere we go except when we went to Guaymus Mexico. There we only got a 50 to 60 and had about half of the chanels. I do check strength in other transponders as some are stronger than others in various parts of the country.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
MDTdriver

Satellite Dishs

We have a King Dome simi auto on Directv in mid west (north half) and a little east states signal 60+. But in the south west 70+. On our HughesNet dish mid and east 80 to 90 with rain fade, but no rain fade in the south west. HughesNet is much better than dome dish in the rain. We are now running both living room and bedroom off internet dish. Love It.

Larry & Kathy plus Meeko
Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
MDTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
BobW

After all the response I called Robert Crist about the satellite problem I had. No problem getting a service guy to answer my questions. He came up with the fix. Ponch and jdwilson3 came up with a solution. I took the plate off the outside utility compartment and found that the Sat Dish cable connection had nothing connected to it. There was a splitter behind the box. It seams that the installer hooked the sat dish to the sat input connector through a splitter instead of running a new cat 5 to the receiver. This can't be done. First there is 14 to 14 volts that goes through the cat 5 cable and can't go through the cable. So, after bypassing the splitter and running a check switch, everything, all the transponders, went up into the 75 and 100 percent range. Cool and thanks to you all.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
hitchup

Thanks Bob for bringing this up. And thanks to JDWilson for having an ez fix. We didn't think it was an issue, but David checked ours & bypassed the splitter. The transponder readings are higher now on our DTV.

One of the cables had pulled out of the connector. So David crimped it on tighter. Wish the factory could take the time to label the cables to make it easier.

He also found the plates were screwed to a loose piece of hardwood on the bottom. So to prevent it from slipping down, he used a piece of double sided foam tape to hold it secure.

hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote