Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
heithcook

Anderson Fifth Wheel Hitch vs. standard hitches

We are in the process of getting educated about fifth wheels with the intent to purchase a 2018 320MK Montana High Country in fall of 2019 and we are hoping to get some advice on hitches. We have a 2017 RAM 2500 6.7 Diesel with a gooseneck ball installed. Originally we were planning on going with a companion fifth wheel hitch because it came apart into two pieces, but it still was quite heavy. Then our local RV dealer told us about the Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch and how it stopped Chucking and Bucking and provided better mobility when connecting and disconnecting. It also only ways only 30lbs and is made from Aluminum with a crush rate of around 50k lbs. The reviews all look good and there are many YouTube videos, but I would love to get some advice from someone who is actually currently using one and has been for some time.

Here are a few questions that I have

How much more or less difficult is it to connect?

Would you recommend it and if so why?

Is the ride smoother with this hitch vs. Mooride tongue and standard hitch?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
heithcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
Mtntrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by heithcook View Post
Originally we were planning on going with a companion fifth wheel hitch because it came apart into two pieces, but it still was quite heavy.
I use a 25K hitch that is also two piece (head, tower) and is quite manageable even for a scrawny old man.
It would be difficult to find anyone who would say anything negative about a B&W product. Enuffsaid.
Then our local RV dealer told us about the Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch and how it stopped Chucking and Bucking and provided better mobility when connecting and disconnecting.
I won't discount a salesman's knowledge or experience but, that is a tall claim. Very few individuals understand what causes "chucking" let alone the remedies. Every single TV, trailer combo has different characteristics and seldom are two the same. Bucking falls in another category.
It also only ways only 30lbs and is made from Aluminum with a crush rate of around 50k lbs.
Almost sounds too good to be true, R&D facilities demos can be convincing, the real world isn't always "ideal" conditions though.
Here are a few questions that I have
How much more or less difficult is it to connect?Would you recommend it and if so why?
Generally it's going to be a little more difficult to align a ball over a socket and drop it in, for a hole-in-one. Ask any goose neck hauler or bumper puller. But with a little practice, and modern remote cams, not hard to over come.
Sliding under a pin, up and into a 5r plate ramp and trough is somewhat forgiving for most of the millions of the transport industry.
I'm not a big fan of the single pin goose "adapters" etc. due to the added parts, clamping, not to mention deflection of the tower points on the truck bed. The flimsy truck bed shouldn't even be in the equation, I much prefer a frame mounted puck system(s) if at all possible.
Is the ride smoother with this hitch vs. Mooride tongue and standard hitch?Here you are comparing apples VS. cucumbers. The TV hitch in most cases is a stationary appliance (short of a premium air / ride model, or hopefully a locked slider type).
The MorRyde rubber pin box offers some qualities that aren't duplicated or even addressed by the product your contemplating here AUH.
You'd be hard pressed to find users complain about their "MorRyde systems", The Pin box & adjoining I S torsion suspension offer a very good combination with most setups.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
I'm surprised to see so few replies on this topic??
No intention on going pro / con fanboy here on anything as I do my own research and see a lot of rigs.
Your choice could also be dependent on the actual amount of towing you intend on doing, everything about it is a compromise.
Best of luck.
BTW: Welcome to the forum.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-txt, Yamaha-G22E
Mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
TSIK

Anderson Ultimate Hitch versus 5th wheel

I have only about 100 miles experience with the Anderson hitch as this is my 1st 5th wheel. But I have no complaints and my dealer recommended it for the cost and weighing only 30 LBs
. It takes me less than 5 minutes to remove it from my turnover ball. I have a brother who is going to switch from his 5th wheel hookup to the Anderson as he is tired of the noise and the constant chucking that he experiences. I have no trouble hooking up to the Anderson hitch as it has about a 6 - 7 inch funnel area where all you have to do is hit that target and it will settle right in when you lower the Camper. Hope this helps.
TSIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:27 AM   #4
03Roadking

I'm new here also but in our searching for coaches, trucks and hitches I ran across one that I'm really considering. Since you already have the goose neck hitch, look at the Reece Goose Box. It replaces the box on the 5th wheel and makes the use of the goose ball possible without an adapter. They recommend checking with the coach manufacturer about using it. Good luck!
03Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #5
Foretravelman

I have owned fifth wheels in the past with the conventional hitches. I just purchased our newest fifth wheel and installed the Anderson and have no problems with hooking, unhooking, chucking, etc. Glad that I went that direction. It is also easier to remove because of less weight than the others and no grease! It's a keeper!
Foretravelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #6
Rockyhud

While I don't have first hand experience with more conventional 5th wheel hitches, such as the B&W Companion and similar, I can attest to how well our Anderson Ultimate hitch performed during the 4-day, 2300+ mile trip from Ft Lauderdale, FL to our home near Colorado Springs last November, towing our DRV. I've also towed the RV a few times locally with the same sense of appreciating how well it performs every time.

The Anderson company claims of reducing/eliminating bucking, being strong and absolutely quiet are spot on. The ONLY bucking (and banging/hammering) we've experienced is totally due to the Lippert Trailair hitch with Tri-Glide option (which the latter part sucks, BTW). The only change to this hitch combo I intend to make is to replace the Tri-Glide lower hitch jaw with a solid lower jaw. This will retain the vertical dampening of the Trailair, which does work well, but will eliminate the bucking and horrible banging the Tri-Glide allows during acceleration and braking.

The ball & socket design of the Anderson hitch couples the RV and tow vehicle so there's no slack between them in the area of the king pin, like conventional hitches often have. This same design allows for connect/disconnect operations even when odd angles exist between the RV and TV. About the only thing I've found that needs to be taken into consideration is the fact the RV front landing gear needs to be able to raise the RV nose high enough to clear the Anderson hitch ball so it can be lowered onto and raised off of the Anderson hitch. I use wood blocks under these (and rear stabilizers too) to resolve that which also lessens the amount of hydraulic ram that extends outside the ram sleeve, potential reducing side loads on the rams. Other than that very minor thing, I can't say there's anything not to like about the Anderson. As the company and actual users also exclaim, the 35-lb weight is nice when you're setting it in place to use and when you're done and need to take it out. Also, the ball funnel does help guide the RV's hitch onto the Anderson hitch ball, making it easier to hitch w/o having to be so precise in positioning the Anderson hitch under the RV hitch.

Lastly, I've seen numerous threads in RV forums in which other RVers who don't have experience with the Anderson hitch like to talk bad about it, even though they've never used one. Those who do have actual experience typically seem very pleased with them. So, I learned to take what these people say with a grain of salt. I hope all this helps and good luck in your search and decision process.
2011 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5509
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:19 PM   #7
Notanlines

Heith, when making your decision keep in mind that most people tend to boost whatever they are using, saying "It works great for me." It is also very common, as mentioned by Rocky, for individuals to bad-mouth a product they know nothing about. How many times have you read or heard a Toyota Tacoma owner (I'll pick on them just as an example) tell you that they have been towing their bumper pull with no WDH and, man, it will just walk the dog down the highway. No need for a larger truck nor a WDH. Read the reviews on the best sellers and decide for yourself.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #8
Foretravelman

I believe I had stated in a previous post that I have had both conventional and now the Anderson hitch. I had no problem with other hitches, but now that the Anderson is available, I tried it and like it. Bottom line, if I didn't, I would definitely tell anyone so. I have bought other products in the past and have always given my honest opinion on them. Is there others out there that tend to be embarrassed with their purchase and try to convince others it's okay, I am sure there are. However, I am not one of those people! Just wanted to set the record straight as far as I am concerned.
Foretravelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
BearKeller

Been towing 5th wheels for 30 years. Went to the Anderson about 5 years ago. Will never go back to the conventional kingpin and plate style hitch. All the claims are true. The only thing that is a little difficult is hooking up, getting lined up over the ball. My wife and I have a system that works just fine. I have a Trail Air pin box without their Tri Glide option. The standard Moore Ride pin box also works just fine. Any pin box the will rotate front to back will not work. I highly suggest consulting with Anderson regarding your choice of pin box. Lots of RV sales people have never towed so take their advise accordingly.
BearKeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:11 AM   #10
friz

egads man! $554 on Amazon and you still have to bolt/unbolt it in your truck bed. My F-250 has a retractable ball. The Keystone Cougar (used) I recently purchased had the standard plate style hitch. Online I purchased a EAZ-Lift 48501 gooseneck adatpter , $350 including shipping. Drilled 4 holes in the box, slid it on the receiver pin and attached the 4 bolts. Rated at 30Klbs GTW. Weighs about 50 lbs. My 100 lb wife and I installed it it under the box in less than an hour. Hooking/unhooking is a breeze. I can actually see the ball in my rear view mirror so hookup can be a one man op. Retract the ball by pulling a lever and I have a clean open bed. Push the lever and the ball appears. Easy peasy.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:27 AM   #11
03Roadking

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
egads man! $554 on Amazon and you still have to bolt/unbolt it in your truck bed. My F-250 has a retractable ball. The Keystone Cougar (used) I recently purchased had the standard plate style hitch. Online I purchased a EAZ-Lift 48501 gooseneck adatpter , $350 including shipping. Drilled 4 holes in the box, slid it on the receiver pin and attached the 4 bolts. Rated at 30Klbs GTW. Weighs about 50 lbs. My 100 lb wife and I installed it it under the box in less than an hour. Hooking/unhooking is a breeze. I can actually see the ball in my rear view mirror so hookup can be a one man op. Retract the ball by pulling a lever and I have a clean open bed. Push the lever and the ball appears. Easy peasy.
What I was referring to is a pin box that goes on the 5th wheel in place of the usual box. https://www.reese-hitches.com/produc...rade20K_,94623
They aren't cheap but you don't have the problems I have read about using an adapter. But I have no experience only what I have read.
03Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:38 PM   #12
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Roadking View Post
What I was referring to is a pin box that goes on the 5th wheel in place of the usual box. https://www.reese-hitches.com/produc...rade20K_,94623
They aren't cheap but you don't have the problems I have read about using an adapter. But I have no experience only what I have read.

Sorry if I confused you. I was also referring to the pin box bolted onto the 5th wheel. This adapter slides onto the pin on the box with a large matching machined pin and 4, 1/2" bolts. I have had two other 5th wheels and both had gooseneck hitches. Not sure what problems with adapters you have heard about but would gladly listen. Reese is certainly a well known name in hitches.

https://www.eaz-lift.com/provisions
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:16 PM   #13
17Oaks

Anderson vs Pullrite, sorry folks, Pullrite!!! http://www.pullrite.com/products/superlite-series

Yes everyone told me Anderson, so I looked and did not buy, later on after buying a Resse I saw an ad for Pullrite and the pic alone had me chasing one down to look see, I bought it.

WHY? Simple the Anderson is a tension based setup that is on 2 planes. The Pullrite uses the Roman arch x 2 with the ball cup in the center and 2 steel plates for horizontal reinforcement. In, short, superior engineering and a significantly larger safety envelope.

Vs

17Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #14
KBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Oaks View Post
Anderson vs Pullrite, sorry folks, Pullrite!!! http://www.pullrite.com/products/superlite-series

Yes everyone told me Anderson, so I looked and did not buy, later on after buying a Resse I saw an ad for Pullrite and the pic alone had me chasing one down to look see, I bought it.

WHY? Simple the Anderson is a tension based setup that is on 2 planes. The Pullrite uses the Roman arch x 2 with the ball cup in the center and 2 steel plates for horizontal reinforcement. In, short, superior engineering and a significantly larger safety envelope.

Vs

So question;

When you pull the Pull rite mount out do you still have those two steel rails in the bed?
KBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:38 AM   #15
17Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBL View Post
So question;

When you pull the Pull rite mount out do you still have those two steel rails in the bed?
On that one I did, that is in my 2017 F 350 that did not come with the Puck/gooseneck system so you use the ISR rails.

My 2019 F 350 has the puck/gooseneck and I use a different model number for the Pullrite, its the 2600 series, exactly the same but attaches to the gooseneck ball, so when I remove it the rails go with it.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #16
wingnut60
Site Team

That is an interesting pic of the Andersen--any story about what/how it happened? I assumed they are locked on a gooseneck ball--how could it have moved if locked down?
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #17
CHAPS2018

We have had our Andersen for about 8k miles

How much more or less difficult is it to connect? --------Its as simple as a bumper pull EXCEPT the Red cone makes it even easier with a target about 6inches in diameter vs 2 5/8 on your bumper pull. Hitching is smooth, quiet and predictable. (it always spooked us watching folks in the campground ramming their 9klb duallys into their brand new trailer's kingpin to get the conventional hitch jaws to lock.)

Would you recommend it and if so why?----------Ease of use, quiet while driving, easy to remove/install, Andersen is a top-notch company, if you have an issue they will help resolve it. No question about whether your hitch is latched either.

Is the ride smoother with this hitch vs. Mooride tongue and standard hitch? ------- I have a basic lippert 15k hitch and our ride is extremely smooth, quiet.

We just returned from a 2 wk trip in New Mexico and Colorado. Going up and down the mountain passes, the hitch performed very well. Like others have said, it is very easy for the wife to assist in aligning the truck and hitch.

Like others have said, read the reviews--on Amazon as well.
CHAPS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #18
17Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjlakatos View Post

How much more or less difficult is it to connect? --------Its as simple as a bumper pull EXCEPT the Red cone makes it even easier with a target about 6inches in diameter vs 2 5/8 on your bumper pull. Hitching is smooth, quiet and predictable. (it always spooked us watching folks in the campground ramming their 9klb duallys into their brand new trailer's kingpin to get the conventional hitch jaws to lock.)

Would you recommend it and if so why?----------Ease of use, quiet while driving, easy to remove/install, Andersen is a top-notch company, if you have an issue they will help resolve it. No question about whether your hitch is latched either.

Is the ride smoother with this hitch vs. Mooride tongue and standard hitch? ------- I have a basic lippert 15k hitch and our ride is extremely smooth, quiet.

We just returned from a 2 wk trip in New Mexico and Colorado. Going up and down the mountain passes, the hitch performed very well. Like others have said, it is very easy for the wife to assist in aligning the truck and hitch.

I say exactly the same thing about the Pullrite, in fact I just bought my second one.

Pullrite is simply better engineered, heavier, yes but I have yet to see or hear of one that failed in use.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #19
GlennWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjlakatos View Post

No need to ram tow vehicle into to pin. I don't. I really don't have a dog in this fight. They not rated for the load I pull.But justifying it this way is lame. Not saying it don't happen, but they are wrong in their way. 5th wheel hitches are easy to hook up. Also mine won't fail in a wreck either.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #20
17Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennWest View Post
No need to ram tow vehicle into to pin. I don't. I really don't have a dog in this fight. They not rated for the load I pull.But justifying it this way is lame. Not saying it don't happen, but they are wrong in their way. 5th wheel hitches are easy to hook up. Also mine won't fail in a wreck either.
I have seen folks in the RV park ramming them in and always went over to understand what and why. What I noticed was a lack of grease.

LOL back when I would hear new guys doing drilling and lathe work and the screaming of metal. I would go to the tool room and get a can of cutting oil and take it over to them and tell them: "cutting oil is CHEAP, use it"

The Pullrite recommends a shot of WD 40 or other light oil before each use, and keep it clean. They don't recommend heavy grease.