Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
louwho99

We think there's a leak - need advice!

I really hate to talk about this topic, but we have a problem & don't know how to fix it, so here goes.
We have a 2008 MS 38RLSB3. There is a terrible odor of urine coming from the pantry area. The bathroom is right behind the pantry so we assume there are toilet plumbing pipes behind the pantry wall, and we assume that a pipe is leaking. There is no odor in the bathroom.
My husband looked in the underbelly back in where the furnace is, but can't seem to see the pipe coming from the toilet.
If the leak is behind the pantry wall, is there a way to take the back of the pantry off?? We don't see any kind of access panel on the pantry wall.
Any advice on how to begin to find this leak & fix this problem is most appreciated. My husband is very handy & I'd bet he could fix it, but we need some guidance to get started. Calling a mobile RV tech is expensive & we don't really want to do that, if we can avoid it.
Thank you so much for any guidance you can provide!

Cindy

louwho99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Cheif 2

Use to have a similar problem a couple of years ago until we found out that the pipe they installed from the commode directly into the black tank was to short and after the top of the black tank became slightly concave, which they say is normal, the pipe pulled away from the crappy job of sealing they did causing leakage. I would check the pipe where it enters the black tank. On our model you can see it from the lower compartment, but on yours you may have to remove the toilet and floor flange to get to it. Once the correct length pipe was installed no more odors. Until you can get it fixed make sure you keep you black tank level low. Trust me on that one. That is how we found our problem, if you know what I mean. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
bucky49

our smell ended up being a gas leak at furnace. it would smell inside front door and pantry but not in bathroom. when we would leave it closed up and unventilated for a week or more it would fill whole living space with oder. Warrenty guy named Fly persevered and found leak. The oderant they use to make gas smell is really stinky. Some other sugestions are posted on my post of smell
Old 02-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Motor31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky49
our smell ended up being a gas leak at furnace. it would smell inside front door and pantry but not in bathroom. when we would leave it closed up and unventilated for a week or more it would fill whole living space with oder. Warrenty guy named Fly persevered and found leak. The oderant they use to make gas smell is really stinky. Some other sugestions are posted on my post of smell
If your gas detector was not going off you have an additional problem. That leak is exactly why you have the detector. It's powered by the house battery, not by a separate dry cell. It also has a multi year warranty (5 IIRC) and info on the back of it to get service, testing and replacement.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
bucky49

Thanks Mike, I just figured the gas being heavier than air stayed in basement and only oderant smell came up is why we didn't blow up. And the Lord looks out for us.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
bucky49

Mike checked leak detector with butane lighter and it works. maybe DRV ought to install them in basement also. I will
Old 02-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
Motor31

Putting a gas detector in the basement is not a bad idea at all. Gas is heavier than air and a leak in the lower portion of the plumbing can be very bad news. The furnace is down there and would be a ready made bomb detonator in that case. Yikes!

I've seen the results of a nat gas explosion in a concrete block building, twice. In an RV there would be a frame left and that's about all.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote