Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Frozenhosehead

3/4 ton Duramax CC to possibly pull 5er 40 ft. Toy Hauler

I'm looking at an Eclipse Attitude 39TSG . The plate on the side is saying it's 13K dry and GVWR is 18K. I have an 01 Chev CC with an 05 LB7 engine (mine thru a rod in #3 about 2 months after I spent the cash to put in new injectors and GM didn't cover it) and Ranch Hand Legend bumper (425 lbs on the front) also have ride rite air bags. I was wondering if that would benefit my towing capacity with the airbags since they are rated for 5000lbs. They guy who currently owns it has a 1 ton Dodge pulling it. What does everyone think about this set up?

I am new to 5ers and still need to get a hitch, well at least rails if I get this trailer since he will include the reese slider hitch for an under bed.

Frozenhosehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
hitchup

We originally bought a Chevy 3500 dually with a 40' 5er. Traded it for a 36' Elite Suite rated at 18.5k GVWR. Kept the dually for less than 2 years before we found a replacement. The Chevy was only rated at 16.5k. We didn't pull often. But until we found a replacement, we were forced to keep the 5er as light as possible. We replaced the couch with a lighter one and replaced the 2 recliners with Euro style.

You can possibly lighten the TH, but it does make it tougher to bring everything you want for camping.

Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Bill40

Yes your 2500 will pull it but you will be way over your legal limit. Our 05 3500 DRW is rated at a total of 23000 for truck and trailer. With a 40 TH loaded with toys and your family and extra fuel you will be heavy for 3/4 ton. I pull a 38ft 5er and think I would be over with a 40ft TH and gear. Just my opinion.
Bill40 is offline   Reply With Quote