Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
Carny Bill

GM internal brake controler

Old subject I know, but has anyone come up with a solution for the GM controler in the 08's working with the Electric/Hydrolic brakes on the Elites. I just purchased an 08 and it is not working, it does not reconize it as being connected....thanks for any help....Bill

12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:38 AM   #2
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Bill I went to the Brake Smart in my 07.5 in order to get it to work.

Last time I was at the dealers I ask if they had changed the controller and was told "Not that they knew of".

Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
RodeWorthy

2008 GM IBC

Bill,
The IBC is not approved for use with hydraulic disk brakes.

In addition, adding a 3rd party controller will require changes to the existing wiring if your truck came with the ICB. It essentially involves by-passing the anti-lock brake module located on the frame over the rear wheels on driver side. GM has a bulletin on it:

"Procedure for Installing an Aftermarket Trailer Brake Controller in Lieu of Factory Installed Integrated Trailer Brake Controller #07-08-45-001A (09/07/2007)"

Check with your dealer. They can get you a copy. Also, be aware the bulletin explicitly states it is not a warranty repair and is undertaken at the owner's expense.

After doing this you will be left with nuisance error messages in the DIC. They can be cleared but not eliminated.

I put the P3 in mine. Works great.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
Carny Bill

brake controler

rodeworthy,

thanks for the info...I really appreciate it.....basically what I found out today, I took truck into the dealer and was told everything is working ok as far a GM is conserned.

I can not belive GM would not make it compatable with all systems. I spent $200 for the option I can not use and will need to spend another $125 or so to have trailer brakes.

Thanks all....Bill
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Old 12-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
golf_bears

Don't give up too quickly, there just may be a solution to your IBC issue. I went through the same problem when I bought my F450 in late 2007. I worked with Doubletree and the brake actuator manufacturers. At that time they were close to a solution but I couldn’t wait so moved ahead and put in a second brake controller.

The problem is not with the IBC it is with the brake actuator that is used on the RV by Doubletree. Over the years since electric/hydraulic brakes have come out Doubletree has used a number of different brake actuators.

Find out which (manufacturer) brake actuator you have in your RV by talking to Doubletree. Then contact that manufacturer and find out if they have a fix for the GM IBC. A number of the brake actuator manufacturers have come up with solutions by now.

I bought my rig in late 2007 so did not find a solution then but now a year later someone just may have a solution not requiring a second brake controller.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. If you have any questions just PM me and I will try and answer you.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
Carny Bill

internal brake controler

OK, here is what I have found out.

My acturator is a "carlisle" unit.
according to them if it is a late model (4 wire with a top bleader) it can be interfaced with a HBA-CAM module that they sell for $93.40 shipped.
installation looks simple. I have ordered it and we shall see.

I will advise when installed of the results......Bill...again thanks all for the help and especially to golf-bears, you were right on.
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Old 12-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
Carny Bill

Well,

You aren't gona believe it, but today I recieved the HBA-CAM (got it in 1 1/2 days this close to christmas time and regular delievery,kudo's to Carlise and UPS).

It took all of 6 minutes to install and guess what....it worked.

At lease I know when I plugged it in, the controler reconized the trailer and I can hear the brakes on the trailer humming when I apply brakes.

I am so glad to get the internal controler working. This forum is a wonderful tool. Can not tell you how many times I have learned some valuable info from it. Thanks to all and hope everyone has HAPPY HOLIDAYS.

Bill
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Old 12-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #8
golf_bears

Bill,

Congratulations on the fix with the IBC. Wish they would of had a fix one year ago for the Ford IBC.

We plan on heading out of West Bend, WI the weekend after Christmas for the RGV. Hope this storm blows through and no more follows.

Take care and enjoy your setup.

Happy trails, drive safe and have a great Holiday season.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
RodeWorthy

Good news on GM IBC

Bill, that is good news on the IBC fix for Carlisle.

Before I ordered my truck (May/07) I talked with Carlisle and they assurred me they had a method to make the IBC work with their elec/hyd disc brakes. When it came time to connect the trailer (Sep/07) at my dealer we could not make the IBC work. I called Carlisle again and they were apologetic but advised that even though they had a fix, GM had put pressure on them to not allow it because GM had disapproved the use of the IBC for that purpose. Bottom line was they knew how to do it but wouldn/t/couldn't tell me how.

At that point, I had the dealer install the P3 and it didn't work either - no trailer brakes at all. Then we found out about the bulletin which required rewiring the IBC as described in the Service Bulletin.

Since the P3 has worked for me I have not pursued this further. Good to check back sometimes. Thanks for the info on the latest fix. My question is: Does GM now approve of this latest method? I presume they do since Carlisle was so adamant to satisfy GM's earlier demand.

Most times it does not pay to be on the 'bleeding' edge.

Thanks again for the post. We learn so much here.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
Carny Bill

I am not sure if GM approves of this module, I would guess that they would have to, do to its interfacing so well.

A engineer told me they had sooooo many requests to come up with a solution that they decided to do it. If anyone wants the phone number to contact him, I have it and would be glad to supply it.

There is still a lot of confusion out there, I even had a redneck trailer dealer that sells this product tell me he did not think the HBA-CAM would solve my problem, so I called factory an spoke w/an engineer who advised me that indeed it would. He stated it is hard to get the word out even to there distributers.

Happy holidays to all....Bill
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Old 12-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #11
47hook

Sorry to jump in so late, been on the road. Bill, I would love to hear your comparison of the IBC and the P3 when you have a chance to tow. I would love to get rid of the P3 only because of the space it takes up near my right knee. Thanks, Gordon.
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #12
Carny Bill

I will do that Gordon...I probably will move end of this week. Will let U know....
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Old 01-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
Carny Bill

brake controler module

We made a short move with the trailer yesterday. The inteneral controler worked without a flaw.

We are hop scotching down the FL coast from Pensacola (blue angels campground). I will let U know how it works the next long jump we make, which will not be until approx the 19th.

Bill
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Old 01-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #14
mcfarlak

GM 2000 3500

Can anyone tell me how to get the prodigy 90185 brake controller to work in my 2000 chevy 3500. We only tow twice a year and found out too late that it did not work before towing to south Florida for the winter.
mcfarlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #15
Carny Bill

controler

I had a prodigy controler in my 2004, worked great...Bill
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Old 01-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #16
RGordon

The HBA-CAM module worked on my IBC Ford Controller. It took care of the trailer disconnect issues and works great. Don't see why it would not work on the GM IBC also.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #17
Carny Bill

Just to let everyone know, I made my first jump today of 150 miles of lots of stop and go traffice (Rt98 from Pensacola to just past Panama City andTydall airforce base).

The internal brake controler worked without a flaw, the system works as it should now.....Bill
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Old 01-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #18
47hook

Bill, now you've gone and done it. Could of said it didn't work, or worked poorly...but nooooooo. Works fine. Do you realize the extra work you are gonna cause all us Prodigy owners?! Oh well, what else do I have to do with my time?

Oh, yea. Thanks for the update! Gordon.
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #19
Carny Bill

sooorrry 47hook, however installion is a breeze...only 4 wires and real easy to get to, just makes ur pocket book about $94 lighter, but sure is nice not having a controler sticking out from the dash or else where ,usually in the way or gets bumped....have a good one...Bill

08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad