Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2007, 08:39 AM   #1
layne

factory repair

You all have been so helpful and I try to read this forum regularly just for information. We really like our ES and have had some of the same issues I see on here. We will be going to the factory for some repair work, appt. is May 8th, that our dealer doesn't feel capable of doing. Question is: we got a letter telling us to fax in the repair issues and that they could take up to a week or so to fix, that we could hook up at the factory to stay at night, etc. However, have any of you had to stay at a hotel because your home wasn't available at night? We think it may have to go somewhere else for one of the repairs or have to stay overnight inside--does Doubletree pay the hotel? We took a tour of the factory so know what is around there and we are prepared to spend the days doing other things, but not sure about the nights. Thanks for any help. Steve and Layne

layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
THey will pull your unit in in the morning to work on it and then back out for the night if you choose to stay in it.

Ponch

Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:02 PM   #3
Gunship Guy

If Doubletree paid for your hotel I think that would be a great good will gesture. However, I wouldn't be too disappointed if it didn't happen. Taking your trailer to the factory is a choice you made versus finding a capable dealer to do the work. DT offers up space in their factory to do customer repairs but I have never heard of them footing the hotel bill.

Good luck getting your trailer fixed. DT has been a great company to deal with and I hope you come away from this experience feeling the same.

p.s. If you happen to pass through New Castle while you're in Indiana stop by Walnut Ridge Family RV. They are DT's top dealership. They even have their own campground next to the dealership. First class operation.
Gunship Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:53 AM   #4
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunship Guy
If Doubletree paid for your hotel I think that would be a great good will gesture. However, I wouldn't be too disappointed if it didn't happen. Taking your trailer to the factory is a choice you made versus finding a capable dealer to do the work. .
Wrong, dealers are not capable of doing all repairs. I also know they get into situation where they can NOT bring a unit back out at night, Upgrading suspension for one. in this particular case they paid for the hotel room. So it has been done before.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:19 AM   #5
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Sorry I should have said "at the factory".

Ponch
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
layne

Thanks for the info. In our case, the dealer didn't want to tackle the crack in the nose under the bedroom slide and DT didn't seem to want to make a committment to the dealer on how to fix, so we opted for going to the factory and getting that and other things done. We live in our trailer so it would be the same no matter where we are--we have to be able to stay overnight either in the trailer or somewhere else. Either way, if the trailer isn't availabe at night, we'd have to stay in a hotel room. I just didn't know if there was ever occasion that the trailer would not be able to come out at night. The sheet we have says we can hook up at the factory, but it is first come, first serve, so I don't know how that will work out, though we can stay without hookups if we had to. We still don't know how they are going to fix the crack, though the other things are just little things that won't be a problem. We are hoping they will replace the B&D coffee pot--it leaks like on other posts I've seen.
layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:13 PM   #7
sr

I had some problems fixed at the factory and I "reserved" one of the 2 spots they have for overnighters. There also is a hotel across the street if needed. They will attempt to bring the unit back out every day for you to sleep in if it can be moved. I would check with Kent and he will be able to tell you if you will be able to use the unit at nights and reserve one of the spots.

Gunshipguy, I have had nothing but bad experiences with Walnut Ridge's Service and I would not recommend them to anyone. Maybe as a last resort. I have more problems after they work on it than before I took it in. 3 different times. I have even cancelled the extended warrenty I purchased from them.

Just my experiences. I am sure others have had good experience from them.
2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by layne
Thanks for the info. In our case, the dealer didn't want to tackle the crack in the nose under the bedroom slide and DT didn't seem to want to make a commitment to the dealer on how to fix, so we opted for going to the factory.
Could you post a picture of your errr, Problem?
I have a couple cracks in my unit up front and would like to see if they are similar.
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Old 04-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
bstark

We were "invited" to bring our unit to the factory after the salesman (newby) who wrote up our deal mistakenly transposed option codes and our unit arrived with all the wrong stuff in it.

We made our own arrangements at a local park but the factory would have provided a site at a park around the corner. We simply left our hook-ups laying on the ground and took the trailer to them in the Am and picked it up in the PM. We spent the last night hooked up in their parking lot.

While there, we got to tour the, then new, Elites that were arrayed in their front lot for a dealer's showing and also took a factory tour as well.

I wouldn't hesitate to return to the factory if: I felt that were the only way to get the proper repair, or were invited to bring my unit there.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:46 PM   #10
Gunship Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo
Quote:
If Doubletree paid for your hotel I think that would be a great good will gesture. However, I wouldn't be too disappointed if it didn't happen. Taking your trailer to the factory is a choice you made versus finding a capable dealer to do the work. .
Wrong, dealers are not capable of doing all repairs. I also know they get into situation where they can NOT bring a unit back out at night, Upgrading suspension for one. in this particular case they paid for the hotel room. So it has been done before.
Hobo,
Thanks for not reading my post thoroughly and jumping at yet another opportunity to dispute a topic with someone you often disagree with.

I said "finding a capable dealer to do the work". If one is not capable then a factory repair is a good option. I also did not say they will never pay for a hotel room. I said it would be a good will gesture if they did. In the case you cited they made the gesture.

Not sure why you felt the need to respond to my post the way you did. Oh wait...yes I do.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:50 PM   #11
Gunship Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr
I had some problems fixed at the factory and I "reserved" one of the 2 spots they have for overnighters. There also is a hotel across the street if needed. They will attempt to bring the unit back out every day for you to sleep in if it can be moved. I would check with Kent and he will be able to tell you if you will be able to use the unit at nights and reserve one of the spots.

Gunshipguy, I have had nothing but bad experiences with Walnut Ridge's Service and I would not recommend them to anyone. Maybe as a last resort. I have more problems after they work on it than before I took it in. 3 different times. I have even cancelled the extended warrenty I purchased from them.

Just my experiences. I am sure others have had good experience from them.
sr,
Sorry to hear of your bad experiences. It goes against every impression I formed about Walnut Ridge. We were so impressed with one of the techs that serviced our trailer that we bought him a restaurant gift certificate for him and his wife.

You should really address your concerns with the owner. He seems like the type of guy who would try to do right by you.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:33 AM   #12
Hobo

Gunship Guy
I read your post completely with understanding and stated the exceptions I know about.
If you took something personal in that then your just too thin skinned.
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Old 04-12-2007, 07:21 AM   #13
Gunship Guy

Actually, I'm very thick skinned. I just don't understand why you tried to point out that something I said was "wrong" when everything I mentioned was accurate. For example: a "capable" dealer can fix a trailer. If no "capable" dealer can be found then a trip to the factory is appropriate. Also, the factory is not required to pay for a hotel. If they do then it's a good will gesture on their part. I did not ever say they won't pay for someones hotel expenses.

Now, please tell me what I said was "wrong".

You tried, and failed, to turn my post into something negative by attempting to find an error in my words. You habitually try to refute people in this forum and go out of your way to let it be known (in an annoyingly repetitive way) that you are not happy with your trailer or the fact that Doubletree won't pay for repairs on your trailer that's way out of warranty. (Just a note...when you call the factory try not to yell and curse them out so much. That way they might be more willing to assist you.)

Your turn. My skin can take it. But just try to stick with facts this time. Otherwise, you'll just be proving my point.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #14
Motor31

Gunship,

I have serious reservations about Walnut Ridge as well. Not only were repairs not made to systems in our rig there, some had to be redone at the factory after a total of 3 weeks spent at the dealer trying to get them to fix them when we took delivery. I had a great experiance buying there but wouldn't take my rig in to get the tires inflated after our experiance. I was also told at the factory by one of their techs that they got a lot of repair business from Walnut Ridge that they either couldn't or wouldn't do at the dealer.

I did talk to Ralph (our salesman) in the last month and he said they had made some changes in the service department since that time so it might have changed. We have not gone back to find out and all subsequent repairs were done by Charger Enterprises in Elkhart as part of warrantee repairs. We were very happy with them and their efforts to take care of us. They also have 30 amp electric and water available for fulltimers while repairs are being made.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:25 AM   #15
rverdlm

My experiance with Walnut Ridge is the same as Gunshipguy's. If I had problems with their service I would take the time to talk to the owner. He is a great guy and will make every effort to make things right.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #16
Gunship Guy

Motor31,
It's unfortunate that two people in this post have had bad experiences with WR. There shouldn't be such drastic experiences between one owner and another. Usually you hear that a service dept is either really good or really bad. But the same service dept being at the opposite ends of the scale has to raise some questions.

WR has a solid reputation and I'm sure the owner will want to protect that. Probably the reason why they made some changes as you mentioned.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #17
sr

Gunship Guy

I thought I was buying from a great dealer also. The sales side was excellent. I have a very long detailed description regarding the service I have received or better yet Not received that I would be glad to send you. 3 pages long. I did discuss with Justin, one of the owners and all he said was they were working on their customer satisfaction. I never received a call from the service department. I always have to make the call to see if the parts were in that were supposed to be ordered.

I am sure for every bad experience there are 10 good experences. For the money we pay for these things I expect to be treated better. If they caused a problem, they need to step up and pay for their mistakes.

As always good RVing.

By the way do you have your rig for sell? Are you leaving RVing? or Are up upgrading?
2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #18
Gunship Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr
If they caused a problem, they need to step up and pay for their mistakes.
Absolutely. Agree with you 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr
By the way do you have your rig for sell? Are you leaving RVing? or Are up upgrading?
My rig is basically sold. The new owner has put a deposit on it and I'm holding it until he returns from Afghanistan next year.

We are getting out of rv'ing for a few years. My job keeps me on the road almost constantly and we haven't done any family camping in nearly a year. In fact, I'm typing this from my hotel room.

It will be hard to upgrade from what we currently have. We set up this combo with the intention of doing a lot of family camping for many years. Sometimes job demands force people to change plans. We have a great, dependable truck and a great, dependable trailer. I hope in a few years we'll be able to build an equally enjoyable combo.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:47 PM   #19
Hobo

Quote:
Taking your trailer to the factory is not always a choice. When their own dealer network seize take it to the factory, what are you going to say NO?, I would rather find a body shop and pay the high dollar for a patch over.?
Show me a dealer that has the facility to do ANY and ALL repairs. Most can't even align axles.

And I pointed out the FACT that they have and DO put people up in hotels. Not if they did or would how special it would be.

I don't know who your talking about calling and yelling at the factory reps. You need to get your facts straight. And yes I'm not very happy with the factory or my MS but have only stated the facts here when people ask and when they ask they should be told the truth about both sides of the coin.

I do believe the factory could do better keeping every one in turn with their problems like recalls, which by the way they have never notified me of yet on the refrigerator. At the some time I have pointed out some good features to prospective buyers the the MS has. Their not perfect and neither are you so get over it.
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Old 04-13-2007, 03:43 AM   #20
Gunship Guy

Quote:
And I pointed out the FACT that they have and DO put people up in hotels. Not if they did or would how special it would be.
Yep, I agree. It's called a good will gesture because nothing is forcing them to provide a hotel room for factory repairs. What part of good will gesture are you having trouble understanding?

Quote:
I don't know who your talking about calling and yelling at the factory reps.
I'm clearly referring to you. A factory rep told me about being yelled at and cursed out by YOU. He knows your real name, the name you use here, and reads this forum. Just think back to your calls when you demanded that the factory should still provide you with free parts even though your trailer warranty has long since expired. Remember now?

Quote:
Their not perfect and neither are you so get over it.
Believe me I'm far from perfect as evident by the fact that I'm still wasting time responding to you. I must be bored this morning. BTW...it's "They're not perfect..." not "Their not perfect..." You make my chuckle.

Got anything else for me? Good. Dismissed.