Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2005, 10:58 PM   #1
cwsoules

Rear Storage Box

Has anyone added a storage box to the rear end of their 5er? I want to install a box 15wx30lx16h. It looks like I could use the structural 4"x4" sewer hose rear bumper as the base.

cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 08:00 AM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
What will the construction be for the box? How much weight are you planning on the box holding?? The bumper really isn't all that stout, and if the box isn't too much weight for it,you might be OK? When the trailer goes bouncing down the road, that extra weigh could move enough to have the bumper rip right off. Had my own trailer hitch that was welded to the trailer frame, bend right off and almost lose the load I had on a shelf attached to the hitch after 300 miles!! Be careful

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
cwsoules

My hose storage is welded to the 5er's frame. The previous owner had a platform there that he carried a 3000W generator back there. I expect I will carry up to 150# back there. I have looked carefully on the ninternet and think I'll end up with a fiberglass box. I want to stow two buckets that are 12" in diameter and 14.5" high. I hav thought of having two 2" hitch points installed on my two rig frame rails. With these hitches I could build a support system for the box.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:12 PM   #4
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Here again, just my opinion, I would think that would work, and adding the second 2 inch reciever for the added security would make it even stronger. Good luck and have fun
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 11:02 PM   #5
Badge

Contact your manufacture, they will tell you what weight your bumper will hold. I don't have a bumper, so I would need to attach storage box carrier to the under frame. They told me it would carry 200 lbs. Also remember when you mount something on the rear you extend your distance from the axels and you have the chance of hitting bottom on some of the deeper dips, or steep drives

Happy Camping!
Badge
2002 35' HitchHiker Champagne, 2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LT,5 Speed Allison, CC, LB, Line-X,Inflatable w/4hp motor,Tekonsha Prodigy, Firestone Ride Rite, Transfer Flow Midship Tank, ttt-mirrors, Garmin V, Roto Chocks, Reese 20K
Badge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:00 AM   #6
boondocker

I had a piece of 2X4 steel tube cut the width of the frame and welded it into place about 12 inches in front of the rear bumper. I then welded a receiver tube to the bottom of both the new 2X4 & rear bumper. I never towed with it but I made a platform for my generator that slid into the hitch and also held water, coolers ect..
boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 12:39 PM   #7
MDTdriver

Rear Carrier on 5er

I have installed a Hitch Haul (aluminum one) useing a 4"x7ft L angle iron to ends of frame under fiberglass rear bumper and ran two straps from that back to frame crossmember, then added 2" receiver and straps at each end of Hitch Haul to L angle iron. To carry 2 electric bikes had this on two 5ers for 5 1/2 years. I had all welds professionally done. I put a water proof tarp over bikes and tied down with small chain using spring clips.
Larry & Kathy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clip1_151.jpg (48.0 KB, 183 views)
Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
MDTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 07:05 PM   #8
cwsoules

I finally bought a Camping World 2 bike carrying rack which bolts to the sewer hose box. I cut off what I did not need and added a big picnic cooler sitting on the hose box and restrained in place by the carrying rack. I use mortorcycle restraining straps to hold the cooler in place and have tied the handles to the hose box. It is quite stable and rides well. My freshwater filters, and fittings are in one sealed bucket and the sewer solution and fittings are in another sealed bucket. The two 25' white hoses and one 50' service hose also fit in the cooler.
2000 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. DTT 89% VB, TC, Mag HI-TECK Pan, Smart Box, EZ, PAC Brake, Pillar gage mount with EGT, Boost, and Tranny output temp, Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover, with RBW 5er hitch, and
Rigged to tow a 29' Automate 5th wheel.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:24 AM   #9
glav

Storage Rack Underneath

I wanted some extra storage to carry items that I wanted with me, but don't use often. So I added a rack under the floor of our 5er. It turns out to be about 24" wide 70" long and about 15" high. I have two large plastic boxes that I keep stuff in. It works great, but I need to add a small winch mechanism to low and raise the rack. Is getting too heavy to lift by arm strength. But it is consealed and out of sight. Besides need the rear hitch receiver to carry buddy bumper and TV and DW Intenet Dishes.
Gene

This may or may not work, ??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p3090008_139.jpg (212.8 KB, 118 views)
Gene
glav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:48 AM   #10
Hobo

Re: Storage Rack Underneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by glav
I wanted some extra storage to carry items that I wanted with me, but don't use often. So I added a rack under the floor of our 5er. It turns out to be about 24" wide 70" long and about 15" high. I have two large plastic boxes that I keep stuff in. It works great, but I need to add a small winch mechanism to low and raise the rack. Is getting too heavy to lift by arm strength. But it is consealed and out of sight. Besides need the rear hitch receiver to carry buddy bumper and TV and DW Intenet Dishes.
Gene

This may or may not work, ??
I had made a setup like that for my travel trailer. I used a wench from a boat trailer with a couple pullys and cable to raise and lower it.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:39 PM   #11
cwsoules

We have used our bumper storage with great success since I installed it. It is really nice to have easy access to the bucket of tank drain equipment and the bucket of water filter and filling equipment as well as the hoses.

2000 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. DTT 89% VB, TC, Mag HI-TECK Pan, Smart Box, EZ, PAC Brake, Pillar gage mount with EGT, Boost, and Tranny output temp, Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover, with RBW 5er hitch, and
Rigged to tow a 29' Automate 5th wheel.