Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
noezoom

Truck Advice for Novice

Hi all. Hopefully you're not tired of the endless questions about which truck people need to haul their rigs. I have been trying to understand how to calculate it and I just end up confused and unsure of my results. If you have some patience, I would appreciate your experience and insight.

We are looking at buying this fifth wheel.

The info says the hitch weight is 1935 lbs, but the UVW is 10338 lbs. From what I've read, the hitch weight should be 20% to 25% of the total weight. So by that method, the hitch weight should be a minimum 2067 lbs, right? Assuming I'm going to add 1500 lbs of my own stuff over the next year and assuming a 25% hitch weight, I get 2960 lbs.

Did I screw any of that up?

Now I need to decide how much truck I need.

I have decided it will be a Ford. I was hoping it could be a 250, but I'm starting to suspect that may be too little. Will a 350 be safe? I'd prefer not having a dually. I've also heard you need a commercial license in some states to operate a 350. I would like to avoid weird restrictions like that.

Thanks for your help!
noezoom is offline   Reply With Quote