Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2005, 09:46 AM   #1
jayc

Cleaning off Black Streaks

I recently found a new way to clean off the black streaks on the sides of my trailer. I use a few ounces of Windex and the same amount of any liquid car wash in a spray bottle. Spray it on the streaks and they come right off!

Edge juice, no attitude

Join us at the Texas Boomers RV club
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
BobT

Hi,

Two suggestions. First we use Gel-Gloss to remove streaks, bugs, etc. It also puts down a wax as it cleans. Second, many RVrs install a common clothes pin at the end their rain gutters. This farther separates the RV from the drip coming out of the rain gutters. Thus greatly reducing the occurance and severity of the black streaks.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
bstark

I haven't seen them recently (couple of years) but Camping World used to stock a white gutter extension that were about 2-1/2" long that simply clipped/glued onto the existing gutter spout and sent the drips further from the side of the coach. Does anybody know what happened to those or where they could be obtained now?
Old 06-16-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
Tetoner

Location: Black Hills of SD. in summer, anywhere south winters.
Most folks I know use a clothespin clipped on the end of the gutter. it does the same thing....
https://mpmcfall.tripod.com/
www.PressureProSystem.com
Tetoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
mbatte

Regarding the downspouts from Camping World...they still sell them. I heard about the clothespin trick, but it is a ways up there to put on a pin each trip.

I thought they were a little expensive, for what they are, (plus shipping), so I made my own. Guess what? Each one gallon jug of milk or Clorox has one downspout ready for use. Get a sharp knife, and cut off about 3" of the handle, and trim the larger end, (the part of the handle coming from the body of the jug), to fit the existing spout on your trailer. Then, run a screw through the newly created spout extension and attach it to the bottom of the trailer spout.

Now, you have a freebie spout extension. I have had mine on for 2 months, and 1,800 miles, and have zero streaks on the sides of the trailer. Heck, if they blow away, I betcha I can make s'more, real fast.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:47 PM   #6
mbatte

Regarding the downspouts from Camping World...they still sell them. I heard about the clothespin trick, but it is a ways up there to put on a pin each trip.

I thought they were a little expensive, for what they are, (plus shipping), so I made my own. Guess what? Each one gallon jug of milk or Clorox has one downspout ready for use. Get a sharp knife, and cut off about 3" of the handle, and trim the larger end, (the part of the handle coming from the body of the jug), to fit the existing spout on your trailer. Then, run a screw through the newly created spout extension and attach it to the bottom of the trailer spout.

Now, you have a freebie spout extension. I have had mine on for 2 months, and 1,800 miles, and have zero streaks on the sides of the trailer. Heck, if they blow away, I betcha I can make s'more, real fast.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:53 PM   #7
mbatte

Old 08-29-2005, 12:18 AM   #8
sfischer

Did the same thing, but used the tubular part of the handle on a plastic gallon milk jug. Works great. Costs nothing (had to buy the milk anyway ).
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:46 AM   #9
M GO BLUE

We use wooden clothespins as gutter extensions, a wet fabric softener sheet to clean off the bugs on the front of the fiver...

We used to use a product called Awesome available at Dollar store...dilute first) to clean off the black streaks but the clothespins eliminate the black streaks on the sides...

2000 F250 PSD
2001 Jayco Eagle 313RKS Fith Wheel
M GO BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:13 PM   #10
fulltimer5er

Back to the subject

Come on everyone the subject was how to clean black streaks and after one answer were now on six about gutter extenders,theres all kinds of ways to clean streaks off so help the guy with that question then start another about gutter extenders by the way simple green consintrate is the best spray on and they wipe off with no rubbing nothing beats it,besides gutter extenders only stop streaks at four corners this works all over. OK I'll get off the soap box sorry but this is a great site with a lot of good info

Jim
fulltimer5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:29 PM   #11
Hobo

I just borrow the tub mildew remover spray. Spray on and wipe off.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
HobbyTalk

New here but thought I'd register to pass on my tip. I had black streaks that I tried to get off with a number of different products and ideas. None of them worked. Most of the streaks were on the front and rear caps most likely coming from a dirty roof. What I finally ended up with was Mr. Bubbles tile cleaner and a Mr. Clean eraser. Spray on the Mr. Bubbles, wait a minute and wipe off the with Mr. Cleaner eraser.
HobbyTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
rockyman

will have to give the windex a try, kinda concerned about the eraser, wont it scratch the fiberglass?
rockyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #14
ford truck guy

I would be afraid to use anything like windex because it has ammonia in it, that stuff is harsh on paint and decals. A little elbow grease and a bottle of black streak remover works for me..Good Luck and happy camping..Joe

Here are my pictures >> https://fordtruckguypictures.shutterfly.com/
ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #15
hitchup

My Windex bottle says it's "Ammonia Free" and also has a "Greenlist Ingredients" label. I use it to clean almost everything in and spot clean outside of the RV. Fridge, MW, countertops, stovetop, faucets, plus TV screen, mirrors and windows....
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #16
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Dollar store/tree Awesome cleaner!

2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote