Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Would you buy a DRV 5th wheel AGAIN?
Indeed, I would do so again! 22 64.71%
Possibly, but my experience was less than stellar with mine 7 20.59%
Probably not, I did not have a great experience with mine 1 2.94%
Definitely not, I had a bad experience with mine 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2019, 12:24 AM   #1
DHart

Would you buy a DRV 5th wheel AGAIN?

Greeting folks... we are considering buying a new Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 5th wheel and I'm trying to get a sense of owner satisfaction with these 5th wheels.

If you would be so kind as to vote in the POLL and, in the comments, please mention reason(s) why you would vote against buying again.

Thank you for participating!

DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
Walt

Workmanship is not the greatest. Bought my second DRV in 2018. All slide adjustment bolts were loose. Draws in bedroom would not close properly. Dealer did a good PDI but the loose slide bolts were missed and dealer gave up on trying to make the bedroom draws work. All DRV's fault, not the dealer. Furion stove top and oven are junk in my opinion.

2019 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #396674
2022 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 DRW 4WD
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
Srosa

I am happy enough with my 2018 DRV to consider replacing it with another one someday. That said, I would never pay anywhere near the typical ‘discounted price from MSRP’ and would instead buy a left over or lightly used unit with a much deeper discount. If DRV were to improve beyond the industry standard for RV manufacturing quality (duck poop), I’d happily pay more.

Steve
Old 12-26-2019, 08:02 PM   #4
Dapperdan

When we bought our '15 38 RSSA (in March of 2014) we went into the purchase pretty much "blind". Knowing what I know now and what to look for I'd probably would buy another but I would DEFINATELY look closer during the PDI! I wasn't aware of these DRV forums back then, the forums have GREATLY improved my knowledge of inherent problems.

We had "glitches" and "issues" early on but I believe DRV's are put together better than most other fifth wheels on the market today.

Dan
Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:29 PM   #5
wingnut60
Site Team

We bought a '15 38RSSA used in 2017, after owning a 2005 36TK3 for 10 years. Have not had any real problems that would not happen to any RV. Would NOT buy new for any reason due to factory shortcomings on quality control.
Suggest you check out used units in that floorplan from RollingRetreats/RVsForLess/Whiskey Mountain/Sunrise RV. If you really like the floorplan, check nationwide, there will be one come up that is in prime condition.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:08 AM   #6
Campingnut

If I was to buy again it would have to be from a very good dealer. I bought a used 1 year old and have had lots of problems with no support.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #7
Cummins12V98

In a heartbeat I would buy another from RollingRetreats!

I would NOT have it delivered to WA from OK and would NEVER wait one year then go to the Factory for warranty. ONLY good was Fred the Tech! Lyin POS Ed Fry "Mr NO" will never see me again!

Mistakes learned as I said I would buy from Alicia at Rolling Retreats ordering a new rig as we did in 1/15. BIG difference is we would stay in their RV space and check out the new rig and make a punch list BEFORE moving into it. I would let them finish the list and then move into the new rig. I would be making a list from there that would have to be completed 100% to my satisfaction and would not leave or pay in full until then.

These terms would be agreed to BEFORE the ordering of the new rig.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #8
porkchop

Good luck with that payment plan. Never heard of a dealer anywhere that stupid.

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:52 AM   #9
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
Good luck with that payment plan. Never heard of a dealer anywhere that stupid.

Bill
You were in construction, ever heard of a retention??? I guarantee you the payment plan would work.

RV stays until it's complete. VERY simple process. THEN full payment.

Now did I say I wasn't going to pay anything at all until everything was complete??? NOPE

Old 12-28-2019, 03:59 PM   #10
clev

I think that my DRV is the best, most reliable RV that I have ever owned. Initially, we had a few minor problems, but DRV worked with us and provided parts; my wife and I installed them, and corrected some errors in the fit and trim. We had to do the same thing when our custom home was completed. Everything requires a little tweaking and maintenance. With 15 inch frame and 3 1/4 inch sidewall frame, it is one of the strongest RV's on the road.
'17 36RSSB3///2012 F350 KR, LWB/SRW, Bilsteins, antisway bar, Bilstein steering stabilizer, Airlift air bags, wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, synthetic fluid, KEM, PIP, & Tyrant tunes w/SCR4 programming, Edge CTS gauge monitoring, G37 2017 turbo, ATS Stage I transmission.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:31 PM   #11
porkchop

Yea, I know what retention is. It's a contract position between 2 groups that do not trust each other. I never worked for them. Had too much respect and a good enough reputation that it was never required. However, I have never heard of it happening in either cars or Rv's.

Seeing as how the factory sells direct to the dealer and does not hold any paper on it, it would be wise to del with a dealer that is trust worthy enough that it would not be necessary. If they let you move in any sleep in it for a night and use the facilities then they have a "used" trailer to deal with. Don't think the banker will allow that to happen. Especially if the banker already has you on a short leash. If you trust your dealer then all the fancy foot work is not required.

The last rig we bought we did the entire deal over the phone and paid cash before ever even seeing the trailer, but I had checked the dealer out ahead of time and was OK with doing that. YEMV

Bill
Old 12-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #12
stanleyz

My unit is now 15 years old. I bought it when it was 3 years old. I would never buy a new RV. The prices are crazy and the depreciation curve looks like the slides we played on as kids. We use ours at least 5 months a year and have evey year since we bought it. I am a life time do it yourselfer and I maintain it with a keen eye for potential problems and an open check book. Since I have owned it there was one visit to a repair shop if you want to honor camping world with that discription. They kept it way longer than promised, screwed up the work and handed me a far too high bill which I beat down. I took it home unrepaired and did it myself. It has held up very well, Both ACs, the furnace, the refridgerator all the interior trim and panels and even the hot water are original equipment. There are no leaks. I had one 5 or 6 years ago but once I learned how to leak proff the trailer I had no more. Last spring we replaced the carpet with wood, much better. A few years back I finally got rid of the Goodyear tires which were 71.5 inch upgrades from stock and one still blew out after 4 years. These are heavy trailers and should have had either 3 axles or much better wheels and tires. The extra insulation in the unit make it much more comfortable in cold weather than the Cardinal I had before I got this. You can look for my post on here and find most of what broke and what I did to repair it. I look every now and then for a newer MS but I honestly would not trade this for a 5 year old Cardinal or Montana. Those units and most of the others being sold today are built to go to the lake on weekends and maybe a short summer vacation. They will not hold up to heavy use, I had a 3 year old Cardinal and it was junk at 5 years. Keep in mind that all the 5th wheels will have problems when new. That is just how the industry is, Read the entries on the five or so big RV forums and you will see what I mean. So, when you read people complaining about a MS consider what they might be comparing it to. Also, consider that DTV is now owned by Thor. I have no idea what the impact of that was but I'm pretty sure they didn't buy the company t lose money. So they may or may not be cutting cost or increasing price or both. Hope you find this helpful.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:44 PM   #13
Traveling Home

NO- We have had too many leaks and rotten floors for a 2017 rig. We might have had a better rig buying from Rolling Retreats or RV's for less, but nothing was available when our insurance check came in from our previous rig that was totaled.
Traveling Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:57 PM   #14
clev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Home View Post
NO- We have had too many leaks and rotten floors for a 2017 rig. We might have had a better rig buying from Rolling Retreats or RV's for less, but nothing was available when our insurance check came in from our previous rig that was totaled.
It shouldn't matter where you bought your RV, it's still manufactured at the same DRV plant as all the others. Mine is a 2017, took delivery 30 Nov '16. So, yours could be no older than mine; that yours has rotten floors in 3 short years is almost unbelievable. Mine has been in several torrential downpours and I've checked all slides and vents; no leaks. To have rotten floors that quickly, it must have been leaking from day 1. And you didn't know?
'17 36RSSB3///2012 F350 KR, LWB/SRW, Bilsteins, antisway bar, Bilstein steering stabilizer, Airlift air bags, wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, synthetic fluid, KEM, PIP, & Tyrant tunes w/SCR4 programming, Edge CTS gauge monitoring, G37 2017 turbo, ATS Stage I transmission.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:59 PM   #15
Traveling Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
It shouldn't matter where you bought your RV, it's still manufactured at the same DRV plant as all the others. Mine is a 2017, took delivery 30 Nov '16. So, yours could be no older than mine; that yours has rotten floors in 3 short years is almost unbelievable. Mine has been in several torrential downpours and I've checked all slides and vents; no leaks. To have rotten floors that quickly, it must have been leaking from day 1. And you didn't know?
There was a well-documented topic about this over on Thor forums and Facebook. We bought from Lazy Days Florida and it had to have been leaking from day 1. Its well documented that these units sit outside for weeks uncaulked waiting for paint.
Traveling Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:37 PM   #16
clev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Home View Post
There was a well-documented topic about this over on Thor forums and Facebook. We bought from Lazy Days Florida and it had to have been leaking from day 1. Its well documented that these units sit outside for weeks uncaulked waiting for paint.
I would like to read that documentation; will you provide a link? I have read many posts about the poor quality of this RV, have disagreed, but just sat by and posted nothing in rebuttal. This is the best quality RV on the road today, and I can tell you why. Those that down grade it, do no checks, no maintenance, and expect it to be perfect out of the door. If you had leaks on day 1, you should have found them, repaired them, or had a warranty repair.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:27 AM   #17
stanleyz

Reading the post above I would like to say one more thing on this subject. If you are not handy with tools and able or willing to make repairs to a trailer you better have deep pockets. These trailers are similar to boats, they need constant attention and if you fail to do it or have it done your experience will not be good.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:14 AM   #18
Cummins12V98

Everyone says the floors on the slides are rotted, simply NOT true. Look at the pics the plywood has delaminated simply from PIZZ poor quality glue being used. Sure eventually it could rot but NOT in the short time people are experiencing.

PorkMan you are just so lucky to have had such good luck in all aspects of life. Must be from "Good Clean Livin", Rainbows and Unicorns.

YES it does matter who you buy your RV from especially if you are ordering one.

YES Alicia would do as I suggested above. Why not? RV aint going anywhere. Retention is a agreed upon percentage of sale amount that they will receive when RV is complete. Things move quickly when money is involved.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:43 PM   #19
porkchop

Well CumMan, You're probably not aware of it, but in business if you are fair, honest and dependable you don't have to try and hold people's money hostage.

Why would you feel necessary to hold Alicia in a position of you acting as if you don't trust her and need leverage? Especially since she is apparently such a good friend you can speak publicly about how she will or should conduct her business?

I generally found that the louder someone shouted "I guarantee you" in every communication over things they had no actual control over the less you could trust them and the farther away I stayed. And it worked well for me, luck was not involved in any way.
I am done debating this with you.

Bill
Old 12-31-2019, 06:26 AM   #20
Master Logger

Thumbs up

2015 MS 39DBRS3 almost elite
Master Logger is offline   Reply With Quote