Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2020, 04:31 PM   #1
Cummins12V98

Hydraulic Experts???

Changed out my hydraulic pump and all went well, it was not lifting the front rams very well. Added fluid and extended front rams then disconnected from truck. Did not cycle anything.

A few days later I retracted the slides and hooked to the truck to head to SoCal. I raised the front rams and then the drivers side ram started drifting down. GRRRRRRR. I then extended and retracted the fronts several times and still it started to drift down.

I had my friend rebuild the rams already with quality parts and I know that is NOT the issue as the RV never drops after disconnecting and leveling.

So I hooked up a strap and headed south. Along the way I noticed the other started doing the same. I drilled they the steel collar and drilled self drilling screws into the silver steel sleeve to hold the rams up when in transit. This had worked for 1.5 months. Been too busy with other things to do anything about it!

My thought is a solenoid is not shutting off when retracted alowing fluid to push past to allow the ram to start dropping.

I have no idea how this system works and what valves do what.

Any help is appreciated. This is on my 2015 39TKSB3 Mobile Suites.

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #2
ARCliz

have you tried cycling the legs a few times , could be debris stuck in solenoid ??????

2013 RAM DRW 6.7 HO w/ Aisin 3:42
2016 MS 41 RSSB4 " Modified "
1200 w SOLAR 400 A LiOn Batts
ARCliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCliz View Post
have you tried cycling the legs a few times , could be debris stuck in solenoid ??????

Yes they have been up and down several times.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
FuShiLuMeitan

You have a leak. Most likely pulling air into the system. Tighten everything. Bleed. Fill fluid backup. Extend retract 5-6 times and test.
FuShiLuMeitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:54 PM   #5
Rontravelon

Cummins12V98,
Look further down in the "DRV/Formerly Doubletree" forum under "Leaking front jacks". Lots of info there. I have the same problem with my 2009 DRV. It's intermittent. Cost to repair is stiff. I use your strap solution when necessary.
Rontravelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
FuShiLuMeitan

Add some CAT fluid, will resolve that. We haven’t had the issue come back after basic maintenance.
FuShiLuMeitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:04 PM   #7
RAMer-Jammer

Definitely a valve not closing completely if both rams drift. Solenoids don’t leak, valves do. The solenoid may be functioning fine, but crud (technical term) could be keeping the solenoid-operated valve from closing completely, allowing fluid to pass.
RAMer-Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:59 AM   #8
dmorse68

Air in the system takes many, many cyclings of both the landing gear, as well as all the hydraulic slides to purge out. According to Lippert, there is a very specific way to do this. I discovered this when I had a hydraulic hose blow off from a bad crimp job. I lost a couple of quarts of fluid, and got air in the system when I install a new hydraulic line. When I contacted Lippert, I received a very specific set of instructions to cycle the hydraulic system in order to purge all the air out of the entire system. I believe it goes like:

1) Fill hydraulic reservoir with recommended fluid 1/2” from top of tank. Wait until air has settled in tank from filling. Air is indicated by a lighter, pink color of fluid in the tank.
2) Hook up truck to trailer to support the 5’er
3) Extend DS slide out.
3) Extend ODS slide out.
4) Extend Landing gear (fronts)
5) Extend Leveling Jacks (rears)
6) Wait to move on to next steps until air has settled out of tank.
7) Retract everything by reversing the above order
8 ) Wait for all air in tank to settle and dissipate in reservoir before repeating above steps.
9) Repeat above steps as necessary until all air is purged out and not seen in the reservoir anymore.
Owen 5500 LP Gen
dmorse68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:25 AM   #9
Larry drv 7*3

2009 36 tk 3

Having same issue with my landing gear. Thanks for lippert bleeding process
I held retrack button for about 5 minutes after 3 attempts of up / drift down, landing gear stayed up. Then took several attempts to get system to cycle down landing gear.
Larry drv 7*3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:29 AM   #10
dmorse68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry drv 7*3 View Post
Having same issue with my landing gear. Thanks for lippert bleeding process
I held retrack button for about 5 minutes after 3 attempts of up / drift down, landing gear stayed up. Then took several attempts to get system to cycle down landing gear.
Do you think air could have been in the system?
Owen 5500 LP Gen
dmorse68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #11
Larry drv 7*3

DRV Elite was purchased and 24 hours later enroute home road debris flew from opposing traffic and damaged underbelly. Has been in dealer for repair. Landing gear issue was evident first a.m. after purchase.
Dealer suggests leak in system allowing air.
Larry drv 7*3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #12
stanleyz

I sounds like the internal seal is worn out but you are 100 percent sure they were rebuilt so here is the test, Retract gear, hold one in retracted position if necessary, With gear fully retracted remove upper hose from one leg and cap or plug hose end enough to keep it from dripping, Now while you watch hole where upper hose was have someone push RETRACT button. If the seal is good you will not get fluid out the hole. If you get a goodly amount of fluid out the seal is failing. If seal is not failing it must be one of the suggestions above.