Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
RSuggs

DRV FACTORY NOT WHAT THEY USED TO BE…

DRV FACTORY NOT WHAT THEY USED TO BE…

Due to a major accident admittedly my own fault, I inadvertently tore the front air conditioning unit off of our RV. The accident caused substantial damage causing the roof to bow down above the master bedroom ceiling, which caused the roof to leak. I pay my monthly insurance premiums to a reputable company that paid to have the damage fixed. I took the RV back to the factory, which obviously would seem like the best place, apparently NOT. DRV fixed the bedroom ceiling, installed a new AC unit on the roof, but left the dip in the roof. DRV stated that the issue was cosmetic only and it would never be an issue. We received a certificate from DRV stating as such.
A year later the roof began to leak and so we took the RV back to a factory approved repair site that was handling their overload of repair work. The outsourced company installed a new boot around the AC unit and stated that it had not been installed properly to begin with, which is what caused the leak.
Seven months later the roof began leaking again from the same place. I took the RV to a large reputable local repair shop and they would not touch it due to the bow in the roof. I immediately called DRV and scheduled an appointment in January during their slow time of the year. (Side note: Howe, IN is 8 hours from Nashville, TN where I live) January arrived and I made the haul to Howe, IN and DRV installed a new AC boot on the unit again, and stated that was the origin of the issue. I vehemently disagreed with their prognosis and instructed them that I wanted the bow in the roof fixed. The bow is causing water to puddle on the roof, which is making the new boots wear out in a relative short period of time.
Our insurance company stepped in and although the Ins. Co. has to go by factory recommendation they agreed to take off the roof and install new rafters and roof on the unit, but DRV will not take responsibility for the inside damage due to the roof leak. Due to the negligence in installation of the AC boot by DRV as well as the faulty repairs of the outside structure of my RV, I am currently paying out of pocket to repair water damage to the inside. My family and I are caught in the middle of a Conundrum. Negligent Manufacturer vs. Insurance Co. since DRV will not take full responsibility and not admitting to fault. The fault lies with myself obviously for having the accident in the first place, but I would like to know that if an accident occurs and my insurance is willing to pay that the manufacturer would stand behind their work.
Lastly, a bowed roof is NOT cosmetic as DRV continued stating. It leads to substantially greater problems, which I experienced first hand. My wife and I did a lot of research before buying from DRV in the first place because it was a company with a reputation for customer service, integrity, and standing behind their work and a well-built unit. Unfortunately, for my family and I this has not been our experience. It has been a headache and a huge ordeal to get anything accomplished by DRV. I am upset and disappointed that I have had to go through this experience and sincerely regret the day that I purchased from this manufacturer.
Currently, we are still waiting on a third party company in IN to fix the inside water damage. They have called DRV, left messages, sent emails, etc. in an effort to try and get parts to fix our RV. Not only have we experienced a total lack of customer service in the repairs dept., but now the company we did find to fix our camper cannot get parts from DRV. It seems this soap opera is never ending. This is yet another example of how far DRV has fallen. To those considering purchasing from this company I sincerely hope you read this letter and choose otherwise. This open letter is an effort to invoke change in the market. If I impact one person in the camping community to take their business elsewhere, it was worth writing. Here it is May and we have yet to get to go on our first camping trip since the unit has been there since January.

We are done with DRV plus i am seeing that there prices continue going up and the quality is DEFINATELY going down.
Thanks.
Cindy and Ryan Suggs

RSuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
hitchup

Part of the problem usually lies with Insurance Companies. They will only pay XX $, not XXX sometimes.

We prefer to take our issues to Paul Cross at Indiana Interstate. Factory is always too busy to fit us in on our schedule.

Question: was Knoxville dealer not an option? Seems like the factory is steering us towards using our selling dealer in OK for any warranty work. But on our other two Suites, they worked with us to authorize non-DRV dealers as needed.

Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
RSuggs

I will tell you that the Insurance company has been very helpful in this situation throughout this whole ordeal. They are even picking up the majority of the costs on this particular ordeal. I can highly recommend Progressive. They have been very responsive throughout!!!

Also, I wished we had known about our other options but we know now and making notes of the other recommended companies. Just hope and pray we don't have any more issues anytime soon. We just thought that the manufacturer should have been the one to fix considering but we were definately wrong.

We have had other issues in the past that they have done well on but since staff have moved around -- that is definately not the case anymore.
RSuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
George D

DRV

So sorry (but not surprised) to hear about your troubles! It seems that more and more DRV owners are experiencing this type of treatment from DRV. Apparently the older units were good but not the new ones. And the way they treat their customers leaves a lot to be desired. I recently spoke with a guy that had a 2010 and is now very happy to be rid of it. He had a lot of problems with it starting at day one and DRV came up short.
George
George D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #5
terry and jo

On the other hand, we have a 2010 Mobile Suites and are very happy with ours, and we've been living in it full time for the last three years in the Oklahoma City area.

Regardless of product or brand of product, there will always be some that feel that "their definition" of quality is the only one by which to judge. When I first started researching for our RV, I noticed all kinds of posts about people having problems. RV forums, specifically "brand-specific" ones like SOITC and this section of 5th Wheel Forums, tend to draw people looking for a solution to a problem, thus leading to the impression that "such-and-such brand" may not be good quality.

I've asked the following question and advised others to do the same: "If one was prepared to purchase a new RV to replace the one currently owned, would one purchase the same brand, and if not, why not."

I got an overwhelming number of folks, even with problems, that said they would buy the same "brand" again.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote