Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
Century

New here and have a few questions about replacing a roof

Hello everyone, I am new here and wanted to introduce myself and possibly meet some fellow RV’ers. We are from Arizona…dying in the heat!

I am hoping I can get some advice about replacing a continuous aluminum roof on a 1979 36’ 5th wheel.
The roof was flat, but over the years of what may be neglect or people walking on it, it has low and high spots in it. The spots range from 6" to possibly 8" difference in height. The roof was coated with some sort of sealer paint...doesn't look like rubber roofing, but none the less, it is a mess.

My question is, can I drill out all the rivets’ around the outer edge on the roof, remove the old roof, add in any new stringers' to help strengthen her up and then lay down, .040 4' x 8' aluminum sheets horizontally across the roof area instead of rolled aluminum roof?

I had in mind to start from the back laying the first sheet and then overlap the next sheet by a couple of inches with each sheet as I moved forward while adding some sort of sealer between them as they are overlapped. This way there would be no butt seams and less chance for any leaking.

Does this sound like a sound plan? The material is thicker than the rolled roofing I saw for 50.00 a running foot which would cost me 1500.00
If I use 4' x 8' .040 aluminum sheets, it will cost me around 600.00.

If my idea sounds good, then what would you recommend that I use to seal the outside of the overlapped aluminum panels and outside edges of the roof I pop rivet back together with? Rubber roofing?

Thanks in advance!

Century :)

Century is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
RickandJanice

I have never replaced a roof on an RV so do not claim to be an expert. However, most RV's have the outside edge of the roof rolled over the top edged of the side walls to help prevent water from draining inside the side walls if the lap seal begins to fail. Don't know about the width of your RV, but standard width today of 8', so a 4'X8' Sheet would not allow any material to roll over the side wall. Otherwise, I think you are on the right track.

Not sure about sealer between the panels, but I would check on using 100% Silicone between them unless someone else knows better. As for the outside seams, I would highly suggest Eternabond tape for all of the outside seams and to cover the rivet heads or you could use self leveling lap sealant like the manufacturers do, but it will eventually dry out and crack like it does on new RV's. Good luck!!
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote