Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
SuiteWheels

Somthing new...

looking up through the skylight in the shower we discovered it pealing back on the edge. Looks like plywood around the edge and rubber stuff pealing back. DH doesn't want to remove the skycover....thinks it might just caused leaks (where we don't have them) only other way is to open it up in the shower but don't really want to do that either. Has anyone else had there edge peal back. It's now about 4" pealed back.

SuiteWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
rdunk

Yes, we have that problem also, and have had it for quite sometime. I thought we would get to the factory, but haven't yet, and I forgot to mention it to Kent before the warranty ran out. I would imagine that the factory has dealt with this issue a number of times, and can advise any dealer how to fix.

Really seems to be just a cosmetic thing, but it is a little ugly to look at. Just a little aggravation. Tell Bill to just not look up while in the shower, and everything will be ok.

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
SuiteWheels

Well redunk, I don't know who Bill is and he better not be in my shower as David (my hubby) wouldn't be too happy to see him there!

Thank for letting me know it's just not our unit that has this ugliness in our skylight....out of 120 peeks to this thread, your the only one who took time to let me know you had the same thing!
SuiteWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
rdunk

Whoops! Sorry, I looked but didn't think. It is suite"diver" that has a "Bill".

Well, at least with no other responses, this problem may not be one that occurs very often?? I too would be hesitant to open up from the top, just to fix the pealing, that is likely, or may be, caused by humidity between the top and bottom of the skylight.

Does sound like a dealer issue to me. Good luck.

Robert and Carlene

Old 06-10-2007, 07:42 AM   #5
hmwilbur

Our MS number 2641 has the same problem. We are due at Paul's on the 21st of June and will let you know what he does to try and solve our problem. We are still under warranty.
hmwilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
cptxguys

We have the same problem on our 2004 unit. It appears the 'paper' facing on the wallboard material has delaminated from the wood. It's occured on two of the four pieces on the perimeter of the shower skylight.

We're assuming it's from the moisture of the shower.

I don't imagine there's any way to seal the inner skylight against the ceiling material, so for now, we're going to live with it. When it annyoys us enough, I'll drop the inner skylight and re-glue the paper with 'waterproof' glue.
2007 Doubltree Elite Suite 36RS3 #3756
cptxguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #7
rverdlm

I'm confused! I looked at my skylight in the shower and it has a molded tappered plastic piece (much like the one around the Fantastic vents) that is screwed to the ceilimg and goes up to the inside piece of skylite. There is nothing that I can see that could peel.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #8
rdunk

Quote: "I'm confused! I looked at my skylight in the shower and it has a molded tapered plastic piece (much like the one around the Fantastic vents) that is screwed to the ceilimg and goes up to the inside piece of skylite. There is nothing that I can see that could peel".
.................................................. ..........
Dave, either your installation is different, or maybe it is not easy to see, if there is no peeling. On our M/S, between the lower skylight "glass" and the roof skylight "glass", there is a white strip. That white strip is not plastic, but is some type of close-out panel piece that is covered with what looks like a white vinyl material. That is what is peeling.

Dave, your observation regarding the "molded tapered plastic piece that is screwed to the ceiling" -- that is the same as is on mine. But on ours, the upper part is definitely not the same.

Since peeling has been mentioned by folks with MS serial numbers both prior to and considerably after your S/N, it would be a little unusual for Doubletree to have done yours differently. But........I suppose they might have, based on what you said you are seeing in your skylight.

Robert and Carlene

Old 06-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
rotaxman

Shower skylight

Robert

Sorry I didn't make it to the rally was looking foward to meeting up with you and Carlene.

My Shower skylight is like yours in construction I do some sort of covering above the platic peice that Dave is talking about. But so far mine has not peeled back. It is hard to see the side that is toward the front of the trailer.

I think if mine ever peels I will just leave it. Although it would be irritating having it happening in this price point trailer looks like another poor design to me.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:08 PM   #10
rverdlm

Thanks Robert, I went and looked again and you're right it's hard to see if it hasn't peeled. Mine is perfectly tight. I'd bet that if the bottom dome was not sealed from the shower the moisture from the shower would cause the problem. I'll keep an eye on it.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #11
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Well fortunately I guess mine hasn't peeled because I don't see anything unusual.

Ponch

Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote