Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2021, 09:57 AM   #61
Exposed

I was reading on the forum and can relate to this blog. Our Goodyear 17.5 G114's came on our 2016 DRV. With about 15K miles, we were coming home in September from 3 week vacation. Coming across west Texas, I had a blow out. DRV is parked inside except when traveling so not exposed to outside most of the time. Got the spare mounted and back on the road. We were staying in Boerne for the night (about 20 miles west of San Antonio). It being somewhat cool, decided to try to make it home to Katy and not replace. I figured it was time to buy a new set of tires. Got up next morning and going through San Antonio bang another blowout. This was the tire next to spare already mounted. Got off I-10 and pulled into a parking lot. Worse case, pull off blowout and head toward Discount Tire. Gave them a call and they said they could get the tires but could not mount. Not for sure why but this was not going to work. Next call was to Goodyear. They forwarded me to their commercial department. After talking to them, they would come out for a road side service call to replace blowout. I told them now I have zero confidence I will make it home on the other two tires. So told them I wanted all 4 replaced. They said no problem and I was thinking cost would be around $1500. They had the tires in stock and would be there in about 30 minutes. Sure enough took about 40 minutes and guy showed up. It took him about an hour and half to break down all 4 tires and replace with new ones. Also mounted the spare back in place. I was surprised when I got the bill, $1277.33. I hope these last longer than the original set but had read issues with that 2015 tires. Guy was super nice and even gave him a tip for doing a fast great job. So if you are in a pinch, Goodyear's road side commercial service is very reasonable.

Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:19 AM   #62
CALinSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
I was reading on the forum and can relate to this blog. Our Goodyear 17.5 G114's came on our 2016 DRV. With about 15K miles, we were coming home in September from 3 week vacation. Coming across west Texas, I had a blow out. DRV is parked inside except when traveling so not exposed to outside most of the time. Got the spare mounted and back on the road. We were staying in Boerne for the night (about 20 miles west of San Antonio). It being somewhat cool, decided to try to make it home to Katy and not replace. I figured it was time to buy a new set of tires. Got up next morning and going through San Antonio bang another blowout. This was the tire next to spare already mounted. Got off I-10 and pulled into a parking lot. Worse case, pull off blowout and head toward Discount Tire. Gave them a call and they said they could get the tires but could not mount. Not for sure why but this was not going to work. Next call was to Goodyear. They forwarded me to their commercial department. After talking to them, they would come out for a road side service call to replace blowout. I told them now I have zero confidence I will make it home on the other two tires. So told them I wanted all 4 replaced. They said no problem and I was thinking cost would be around $1500. They had the tires in stock and would be there in about 30 minutes. Sure enough took about 40 minutes and guy showed up. It took him about an hour and half to break down all 4 tires and replace with new ones. Also mounted the spare back in place. I was surprised when I got the bill, $1277.33. I hope these last longer than the original set but had read issues with that 2015 tires. Guy was super nice and even gave him a tip for doing a fast great job. So if you are in a pinch, Goodyear's road side commercial service is very reasonable.
You have a lot of information here that reinforces a number of published warnings about trailer tires.

It doesn’t seem to make much difference in what tire design is used on RV trailer axles; 5 years is the best life expectancy for any of them.

A blow out at highway speed is almost always going to damage the tire next to it. It’s highly recommended to have that tire dismounted and inspected internally for damages.

The G114 is a polyester 75 MPH tire. If it’s an original equipment tire, the cold inflation pressure should always be kept at the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended pressures. When lowering the inflation pressure you may be lowering the speed restriction.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:33 PM   #63
Exposed

I agree 100%. I also have heard once you have a blowout, the tire next to it is now carrying the entire load of both tires normally. It would stand to reason that the spare now would be in jeopardy. I probably should replace the spare as well. I have been a life long believer in Michelin tires. Has anyone switched over to them instead of the Goodyear?
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:54 PM   #64
CALinSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
I agree 100%. I also have heard once you have a blowout, the tire next to it is now carrying the entire load of both tires normally. It would stand to reason that the spare now would be in jeopardy. I probably should replace the spare as well. I have been a life long believer in Michelin tires. Has anyone switched over to them instead of the Goodyear?
Be careful when selecting any 17.5" Michelin tires. Many of them are European designed and have a "J" speed letter = 62 MPH.

6-8 years ago Michelin wanted to become a DRV OME tire provider. They were using 62 MPH tires. I'm sure wingnut60 has more information on that than I do.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:13 PM   #65
wingnut60
Site Team

Nota sureI have more pertinent info--I have had 16" GYs on my '05--they were basically running at rated weight. Changed out to 17.5" tires/wheels, put Michelins on. They made it couple of years, then had tread separations and the famous sidewall cracks. Yes, speed-rated at 62. Went on to Coopers and Sailuns, never a failure. Sailuns on when traded. Got a '15 RSSA with the GY G114s--2 tread separations and changed over to Coopers. They were running great when traded again. Would have to say--none of my tires have had a blowout, only tread separations. GYs are on every DRV from the factory, I think--therefore, more problems arise with them just because that is what they come with. GY and Michelin are not the end all in tires--many others just as good and less expensive: Cooper RM 170; Sailun S637; others. Also, should consider going to the 235 size instead of the 215 factory size--much higher weight capacity.
Tire posts never fail to get a conversation started...
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:53 AM   #66
terry and jo

For those that don't know how the wife and I RV, we pretty much stay in one place for months before moving on. Bought our MS in May of 2010. Then we moved into it in the Spring (April or May) of 2011. Retired in June of 2014 and headed out. 20 months in Colorado, 17 months in Oregon, and 9 months in Utah before coming back to Oklahoma.

In total, I would venture that we have less than 6000 miles of travel on our tires and we STILL have the original GY G114's on the coach. So, they are now over 10 years old. We had some issues with the NeverLube bearings on one axle, so we had new axles with EZ-Lube bearings put on the coach. When we took off all the tires to replace the axles, the wife and I examined each tire. None of them were showing any "age cracking" either within the tread or on the sidewalls.

That said, before we go out on the road again, we will probably have new tires put on, and they will likely be the GY's. We've heard for years that 7 years was just about the full life of tires before aging out. We are now close to 11 years.

Not related, but when we returned to Oklahoma from Utah in 2018, we decided to replace the original batteries as well. Those had been there for 8 years, but we weren't having any issues with them. I just thought they needed to be changed.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:59 AM   #67
porthole

Sounds like some good mileage/time from both the batteries and tires.
2020 F-450
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:21 PM   #68
MTK46

RV acid batteries that lasted that long, what's your secret.
2011 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 #5556
2017 F-350 CC 6.7 diesel dually, Banks Derringer tuner with super gauge
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #69
terry and jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
RV acid batteries that lasted that long, what's your secret.

No real secret. However, we do have a 3000 watt inverter/converter, thus we have four batteries instead of just two. As for maintenance, all I've done is pull them out about once a year and check and add distilled water.

Terry

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote