Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Beachgirl

Kitchen Mod Pix

Just sharing a little of our excitement! We go pick up our trailer on Monday. So our dealer sent me a little preview.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg our_ms_kitchen_267.jpg (94.8 KB, 256 views)

Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Gemstone

Very nice....when you get it home...a favor please...I'd like to see a photo of the sink and cutout. I'm still trying to engineer a replacement of the cheap plastic sink in our rig, using a Swanstone sink. Having granite counter tops complicate the issue a tad.

Regards
Gemstone

Old 03-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
terry and jo

Hey, I'm glad for you. It is a nice looking layout, and you finally got to post a picture.

If I remember right, it is a 38TKSB3 but with an island instead of a peninsula counter.

Congratulations.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
terry and jo

Gemstone,

I might be able to help you with the counter top and sink. Ours is a 2010 38TKSB3 with the peninsula counter. Here is one shot, but if you need a horizontal view, let me know and I'll take it and post it.

Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_6440a_655.jpg (205.6 KB, 227 views)
Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 03-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
terry and jo

Gemstone,

I went ahead and went out to the Mobile Suites and took some more pictures for you. Go to the link below and they should be the first ones at the top of the page. One of the photos from above looks funky in the thumbnail, but it looks OK once you click on it to make it bigger.

http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/...%20New%20Home/

Terry
Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 03-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
Beachgirl

Thanks, Terry!

Actually, it's a 38 RSSB3...I just had them substitute doors under the appliance garage for the drawers.

Can't wait to pick it up! Thanks for your help re: learning to post pix. :)

Beachgirl
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
Gemstone

Thanks for the photo's...

Nice to see that the "engineers" have learned from their mistakes by finally using a standard sized SS sink. Earlier units have odd shaped, thin plastic sinks, which stain and scratch. The odd shape makes it difficult to find a suitable replacement.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 03-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
hitchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstone
I'm still trying to engineer a replacement of the cheap plastic sink in our rig, using a Swanstone sink. Having granite counter tops complicate the issue a tad.
This is one of the reasons we traded our 2006 Elite 36TK3 for a 2009 MS. The sink material stains and it's odd shape made it harder to replace using same granite countertop. By the time I listed all the changes (like an Island) & upgrades (level-up) we wanted, it made more sense to trade for a Mobile Suite.

Your best option is to redo the countertop and sink at the same time. Have you checked with Granite installers on removing granite, recutting and replacing same piece? Q and A's online show it's possible to cut in place or remove and cut outside with proper tools.

The price of Granite has come down dramatically. That is another option to replace the whole Counter entirely.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
RickandJanice

Just an FYI, the "plastic sink" people keep referring to in the older units are actually a solid surface material the same as Corian. To easily clean this material just use a cleaner like Bon Ami, Bar Keeper's Friend or Revere Ware Copper Cleaner and a sponge or nylon scrungee pad. DW loves this material as much as the Corian brand we have in our house. She feels it is actually easier to keep looking nice than stainless steel as it does not show water spots when left to air dry.
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
terry and jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickandJanice
Just an FYI, the "plastic sink" people keep referring to in the older units are actually a solid surface material the same as Corian. To easily clean this material just use a cleaner like Bon Ami, Bar Keeper's Friend or Revere Ware Copper Cleaner and a sponge or nylon scrungee pad. DW loves this material as much as the Corian brand we have in our house. She feels it is actually easier to keep looking nice than stainless steel as it does not show water spots when left to air dry.
Heh, heh. You mean like the ones in my pictures on Photobucket? Sadly, I didn't even notice those until I got back in the house to resize the photos for Photobucket.

I need to find a way to finance a maid and a mechanic when it comes time to live in ours.

Terry
Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 03-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
Gemstone

"Your best option is to redo the countertop and sink at the same time. Have you checked with Granite installers on removing granite, recutting and replacing same piece? Q and A's online show it's possible to cut in place or remove and cut outside with proper tools"....

Yes, this is the direction I am leaning in order to get rid of that "plastic" sink. Put a flashlight below the sink, shining upwards...it'll demonstrate just how thin the material is...

I suppose DRV would still be using that material, not the SS they have migrated to, if they thought the court of public opinion was on their side....after all, it's gotta be cheaper than SS.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 03-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #12
RickandJanice

Terry, I was referring to stainless steel sinks in general, so hope this is just your humour showing and did not offend you. We had a stainless sink in our house for years before going with Corian so can feel your pain with water spots.

Gemstone, Actually all solid surface material will allow light to shine through it, even the counter top that is thicker. In most cases, the cost of solid surface sinks is more than stainless steel. DW works in the cabinet business and knows first hand about the cost, advantages and disadvantages of both materials. Her opinion is that DRV not only listened to what allot of their customers wanted, they saw the cost savings in stainless steel sinks also.

We prefer solid surface sinks over stainless steel sinks and solid surface counter tops over granite. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but just wanted to shed some light on what the "cheap plastic sink" is in a DRV kitchen and how to care for it.
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
terry and jo

Rick and Janice,

Of course it was humor, although it is getting harder and harder to find it these days. The picture I posted into the thread shows a very clean and shiny sink. The ones taken and posted on Photobucket that are available via the link in the later message show a "spotty" sink.

With a little more humor in mind, from what is going on the the "Montana to DRV" thread, I'm trying to decide whether I'm one of the "cheerleaders" or.....

.....well, maybe I better not say it after all.

Terry
Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 03-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
Gemstone

No problem on the opinion, just likes noses, we all have one. As for cheap sinks, either SS (we would have loved to have had this option in 2006) or plastic....not for us...that's why I will eventually fit in a Swanstone sink...

Regards
Gemstone
Old 03-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
rotaxman

SS Sink

When I mentioned cheerleaders it was back in the old days before most of the current posters were on this forum.

I always try and treat everyone as I want to be treated. The forum now days is a great place to be with tons of information about the DRV products.

I think its like Gemstone said the best part is that its still free.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #16
CherriandBob

I like the looks of the swanstone sinks. Thnaks for the info. I too would have like the stainless option in 2006. I'm going to try the bar keepers friend and see if it helps. Been using softscrub but still doesn't look that good.
SOITC Charter Member #2730
Central Division
2006 38RL3
2004 Freightliner M2
robertsqualityrv.com
Enjoy life...Keep it simple
CherriandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #17
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for the sink. Find it in any grocery/WM in the cleaning products section. I don't know how it works, but it does.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #18
wingnut60
Site Team

My wife also uses the Magic Eraser--has done a great job on our sink. And for lots of other stuff around the house.
And, no, I don't know how/why it works either...
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote