Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
travelingman

5er and bed rail clearance

Hi Folks,

I am on the eve of buying a very clean 2006 Silverado 350 Dually 4x4. However, I have learned that clearance between the truck's bed rails and the underside of the 5er can be a problem in a 4x4..less so on a 4x2.

Is this a fatal issue or are there good work-arounds??

I have not yet selected my RV.

Thanks.

travelingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
billr

When we towed our Terry and then the MS with a Chevy 4X4 2500HD short box we had about 5" clearance. It needs to be a bit more for comfort. You can manage though. The long bed truck your considering will be a bit tighter with the bed reaching farther back under the fiver, but a lot of folks are using the 4X4's and doing fine. Adjusting the hitch and pinbox can help and some even adjust the trailer suspension to raise the trailer up to level things out giving the bed rail clearance needed. 6-8" would be best if you can get it.

Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:38 AM   #3
5thwheeler

We run 7 inches and tow into some very un-even places on forest service and BLM roads here in Wyoming. We come close to touching on some dips and humps but have been lucky so far. Of more concern is the rear of the RV dragging.
5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
travelingman

Thanks for your responses. The issues of selecting a tow vehicle much less a 5th wheel make you realize how little you know except that you have a strong drive to begin to ejoy the RV lifestyle.

BTW, just got back from 10 days in Yellowstone and the Tetons. Incredible!! In anticipation, we visited the RV park at Colter Bay and can't wait to be there.

Stuart
travelingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
chevman

This is what I know. In 2001 the 2wd and 4x4 chev dually 3500 ext cab trucks were the same height at the rear of the bed. the CC cab truck were 2" lower. The ext was 57" and the CC was 55". We have an 05 CC 3500 2ed dually and it is 55". I think the 06 is the same but the latest 3500 chev trucks are higher and it can be a problem. It would be for me. chevman