Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #21
jbeliveau

It's going to be taken care of in Reno today.They were Kodiak brakes.So everone please relax.

jbeliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #22
99roush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeliveau
It's going to be taken care of in Reno today.They were Kodiak brakes.So everone please relax.
Glad you're getting it taken care of. Would be nice to report what was the cause of the problem.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #23
jbeliveau

One of the pads wore out and then the calliber wore out the rotor and the system lost all the fluid.To get it fixed they come in pairs only will be shipped overnight here to Reno for $1,400.00 per pair and labor.Plus going to put new pads on the other two and don't know the cost of that yet. :D
jbeliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #24
bstark

Would these be them?

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brak.../K2HR858D.html
Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #25
anijet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstark
Don't think so. He probably has Never-Lube bearings. Hub/rotors come with bearings installed.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #26
wingnut60
Site Team

So, are you still going to trade it off? Plus it sounds to me like WAY overpriced...
How about a little info on your year/model DRV?
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #27
Motor31

The more I read about these disk brakes the happier I am that I got the drum brakes on my rig.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #28
bstark

Mike; I don't get it with some of these posts. I had the hydraulic discs and if ordering again would go for them in a hearbeat.

The maintenance issues with them is virtually nil as they're almost too easy to inspect by eye by simply sticking your head under there and taking a close look to observe the remaining pad thickness.

One only need look through the holes in the aluminum wheel to view the state of the disc for scoring or view across to the other side of the rig to check the inside of the rotors. Easy Peasy; as is any work to be done on them.

I'm also nonplussed to explain how folks are burning off their pads so fast as in 6 years of snowbirding down to the southwest and touring around down there with returning to Canada in the spring of the year along with a couple of cross Canada trips I only changed out the pads once towards the end of our ownership of the rig.

I'm thinking the only explanation for this weird wear pattern described with one pad going away and the rest in varying states of wear is simply due to air in the sytem and also too much bias being placed upon the trailer brakes.

Bleeding these things could not be easier with someone on hand to engage the over-ride when asked to. That 1600psi pump will move a lot of fluid in a hurry so if there is air in the system it ain't gonna be there for long if you keep an eye on reservoir level while pushing out the old stuff.

Changing out the pads is also FAR easier and faster with none of the aggro associated with pre-setting the shoes then checking again after some run in with the only way to do that correctly being with the tire off the ground.

I cannot tell you how happy I was to throw that adjusting spade into the toolbox for the very last time.

I would make it a routine when pulling into rest stops to get out my infra-red gun and shoot the discs firstly right after using the brakes to slw down and stop to see if one was markedly hotter or COOLER than any other and by the time I had done that along with hubs and tires, D/W had returned form her biffy trip and we'd be off again.

My trailer was an 05 and I never had an issue with the pump or any other part of the sytem at all. I replaced the hoses to the caliper after a tire shed a tread and the crossover tubes under the calipers when new because back in those days Doubletree assemblers were rollling the axles around, prior to them being installed on frames, on their discs alone without wheels and tires being installed so those crossover tubes were often crushed from that stupid behaviour.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #29
Cheif 2

I had a pad fall out and tear up a rotor and caliper on my unit. I called Kodiak and they sent me a new caliper, pads and rotor for free. DRV wanted to charge me close to $800.00 for it. At the same time I purchased the pads from Kodiak for the other three wheels and changed them out. The people at Kodiak were great to deal with.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #30
billr

We never hear about Dexter disc brakes, just Kodiaks. Bruce we have Dexters. Same like you, except we are still on original pads on an 05! We have a lot of miles on them too.

I agree, one pad has to be wearing badly causing the rest of the failures.

I sure hope when the time comes we have a choice on brakes, but I doubt it.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #31
bstark

Bill: Spot on. I changed them out because I was selling the trailer and simply thought they should be changed out. There was sure enough pad left to satisfy any safety concerns the new owner might have had.

I'm funny like that though, with background in preventative maintenance keeping me awake nights if I get focused on the new owner having a brake problem I could have prevented for him.

All in all, those Dexter brakes were one of the best features of the trailer.