Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #21
rotaxman

Dump Valves

Steve,

Sorry I won't be at the rally but if were I would be more than happy to show you. I'm currently working on getting rid of this unit verdict is not in yet probably will know in a few days.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry

2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #22
edt

Send a message via AIM to edt
Re: Holding Tank Valve Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyRanch
I see more and more people replace their valves with electric ones. If you replaced your valves and plan to attend the 2011 SOITC Rally in Sevierville, TN, would you be willing to show attendees what you did?
I plan to attend and will show how to replce gray with a $ 12.00 hand valve

Old 03-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #23
Diesel-Gypsy

Jerry, for what little good it might do...I wish you good luck with the sale.
I sure understand why you want nothing more to do with that awesome, high-quality, top of the line, one-of-a-kind 5th wheel!

Rick
Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #24
rotaxman

Sale

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the kind words I will know more next week I think.

As always good camping
Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #25
Diesel-Gypsy

Well Jerry, considering what you said a while back" When the weather gets a little better here if I haven't got rid of this thing I'm going to re plumb the whole sewer system move the Grey water piping up to 3 inch like it should be install electric valves and do away with that stupid plastic bubble on the belly of the trailer. "
How are things going?

On the off-chance you still own the 09, and if you get under it into the belly compartment, let me know if you think rigid foam insulation would be a do-able replacement.
I hate driving in the rain, as my glass-wool insul. always gets wet....

Thanks,
RL
Old 04-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #26
Pat L.

If your glass insulation is getting wet what about spray foam. Isoneen close cell insulation should do the trick.
Pat L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #27
Diesel-Gypsy

Pat, I think many of us Suites owners have used canned spray foam to fill some of the "built-in" gaps between the frame & underbelly coroplast material.
That will help seal up the underneath some, but it is still not really well sealed.
The idea of using foam-board insulation is because there are / will be times that servicing under there requires access.
Spray foam would possibly hinder the access required to service those slide rams, and plumbing as well as wiring & ducting.

Pat have you taken the time to drop your under-belly cover after driving in the rain...?

RL
Old 04-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #28
billr

Hey Rick, Since I pulled all that wet stuff out and put in new and made sure the belly panels were screwed good at frame edges, mine has stayed dry. I have had the pleasure of dropping it down at three spots to fix the shear bolts. Hope it stays dry!!

Tell tale is the dripping from belly. Too much and maybe a water leak...hum...fun fun fun!

Hard foam may be a better deal, would be tricky to get in there without a total drop of the belly and actually securing all the wires, hyd hoses etc that are sprawled all over the place under there. Its not a pretty site. Never mind all the drill screws sticking up all over and a lotto deal it they hit any of the wires or hoses. What the #$%^ were they thinking!

There was actually a spot in behind the propane tank compartment that is sealed that a screw had worn through a hyd hose and it ruptured after 3 yrs. Nice building there. At least the extended warr covered that one.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #29
Pat L.

Diesel-Gypsy, Did not think about wires, hoses and bolts. They should be run in chases so as to be protected. I guess I still think about my large boat was built, [Cruisers Yachts]. I have not had to MS in the rain yet. Have only towed it about 200 miles from the crappy dealership in Ocala, Fl. to our home park in Nokomis, Fl.. Sounds like I have something to look forward to; or back-wards.
The spray foam that I was referring to is what we use in construction for under the roof sheathing or between the wall studs.
How often should I worry about shear bolts? I watched a guy in Vicksburg laying out in the cold wind trying to replace his. Does not look like something that I want to get involved with. Do I need to carry spare parts?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #30
billr

Slide cross shaft shear bolts are 1/4"-20 1.5" long Grade 8 bolts.

Worth having a few on hand in case it happens. Fairly easy fix. Have to open up the belly near the ends where the rack gears are. The cross shaft is connected at each end on inside of rack at each end of slide. If the bolt is gone thats the one. Can watch when slide is tried, you will see it slip. The symptoms are the same no matter which end is sheared, so its a crap shoot which end to check first. Make sure slide is perfectly in sync before replacing bolt.

There is no doubt what is wrong when they go. The end with the ram moves and the other one doesn't.

I have changed 2 on one slide and 1 on the other. Never at a good time either.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #31
Pat L.

Bill, Thanks for the info. Never know when it will happen and good to have spares. Like I said I watched this idiot try to use the wrong bolts and kept breaking them. He did not want to go to the auto parts store that 3 1/2 mile away so he went to WalMart.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #32
Mick Meilicke

Electric Drain Values

Quote:
Originally Posted by anijet
Roughly six months after pruchase we returned to the factory for a few repairs. This was on the list but they couldn't make them any better and said they would be fine. Later I tried veggie oil and the commercial lube stuff from the RV store in the tanks. I added it whenever the RV wasn't in use. Lubed the cables and tried to reroute them but had little sucess. Finally the gray cable broke right at the valve. This is the main reason I installed the electric valves.
I am also experiencing difficult to open drain values as you did even though the 32TK3 is 45 days old. I suspect the problem is in the cables. How are you electric values working? About how long did it take to install them and what brand of values did you get?

Thanks
Mick
Mick Meilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #33
anijet

Unfortunately due to circumstances at the shop we have not been able to use the coach since I installed them. I did the whole project in two half days and used Drain Master Valves.

anijet is offline   Reply With Quote