Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2023, 01:46 PM   #1
gbopper

Backing up Steep driveway

I recently purchased this 310Gk Solitude. I have a rather wide driveway that is steeper on one side than the other. I backed in on the less steep side at an angle and bumper scratched my driveway and i believe i only need maybe 1-1 1/2" more clearance. I also noticed it left a mark on my bedrail. I have about 5" clearance from trailer to bedrail. I have a Curt sliding hitch that is now already at the highest setting. I have thought of putting planks on the road to get the trailer up a bit before it has to jump the curb. I have Airride pin box. I have been hearing about putting on larger tires, Correct tract trailer alignment, flipping axels under over, skid wheels, etc:
Just wondering which would be the easiest way to achieve another 1 1/2" at bumper when backing in.
Also, would sliding the hitch back help with the bed rail clearance as well as the bumper clearance?
Thanks for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230608_103617.jpg (430.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20230608_103643.jpg (178.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20230608_103650.jpg (147.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20230608_103824.jpg (200.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20230608_103921.jpg (257.9 KB, 15 views)

gbopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 02:54 PM   #2
CaptainPalapa

I don't have a direct opinion about your question, but I would VERY much like to see you chock those wheels more so than you have now. Some good RUBBER (not those junk plastic types) wheel chocks, like you can get at Harbor Freight. If that were my rig on that driveway, I'd chock each of the four. While I *do* like your wooden gizmo, it could easily slide on that rock/tile/surface. Maybe a rubber pad stapled or screwed to the bottom could improve it.

Old 06-08-2023, 07:11 PM   #3
fjr vfr

Here are a couple links you might be interested in. If you are handy the install doesn't look very difficult.

https://simcoespring.com/pages/produ...lift-block-kit

https://www.trailerblocks.com/collec...00lb-axle-kits
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 07:20 PM   #4
fjr vfr

Also using a slider hitch helps, but when traveling the pin needs to be directly over the rear axle. Also if you were to raise the hitch up any you would then definitely need to raise the trailer an equal amount in order to stay level.
I think blocks like I posted in the previous post might just be your answer. They would give you the clearance you need in both instances. If it did get you out of level, it would only be a slight amount and in the better direction.
Good Luck
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:56 AM   #5
gbopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPalapa View Post
I don't have a direct opinion about your question, but I would VERY much like to see you chock those wheels more so than you have now. Some good RUBBER (not those junk plastic types) wheel chocks, like you can get at Harbor Freight. If that were my rig on that driveway, I'd chock each of the four. While I *do* like your wooden gizmo, it could easily slide on that rock/tile/surface. Maybe a rubber pad stapled or screwed to the bottom could improve it.
I do have metal ones on that you cant really see in the pics, Thanks
Old 06-09-2023, 10:06 AM   #6
gbopper

It looks like a not so complicated way of lifting the trailer. Can you tell me if doing this will effect the trailer to truck bed height and if so how much? Now i have about 5". I am at the highest setting on my hitch, Not sure if any adjustments can be altered with pin box (air ride )
Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 06-15-2023, 05:32 PM   #7
440scout!

I also have a Grand Design Solitude 310gk. But I have 7"inches of clearance from the overhang to the bed rails of my 2012 Ram 3500 srw. The rear of the 5th wheel is a little to low so if I raise the pinbox to the next setting there will only be 5" of bed rail clearance but the rear should come up. Unfortunately the pinbox adjustments are 2" up or down so I will leave it as is and order the 2" lift blocks and U-bolts kit from one of the suppliers mentioned above. If you decide to install the lift blocks, find a level area to do the work. Also you don't need to remove the tires to do the install, keep them on for safety and use your hydraulic jacks to raise one side at a time to put the lift blocks in. A 3/4" deep reach 1/2" drive ratchet and a torque wrench to final tightening of 70 to 90 pounds for 1/2" u-bolts. Good luck.

440scout! is offline   Reply With Quote