Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Okie

Basement door

Over the years I kept finding little white plastic type dots with holes in the center lying on the inside of the basement. Couldn't figure where they were coming from. Finally the other day on return from a trip, I opened the doorside basement door and found I had a handfull of basement door. Seems the little white dots were the end of rivets on the door hinges. The part of the hinge riveted to the top of the door was loose. I repaired this by replacing the rivets with #8 1/2" sheet metal screws. It is holding OK so far.
Just to let you know.

Okie

Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Motor31

Yeah pop rivets aren't the best choice for holding things that move. They are very very cheap though. DRV could have used higher quality cherry max rivets but that would have cost them a few pennies more per application.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Gemstone

On the older rigs, that flimsy plate on the cargo door is glued to the white plastic covering, then riveted into the styrofoam core of the door...engineering at it's finest. On the newer rigs they have supposedly built a backing plate of some sort into the core.

I have facilitated a repair on our door, a search here should turn up what I posted.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 06-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
dalehandsome

On our 2010 38 TKSB3 the cargo door badly warped within the first year. They did replace the door though I had to install the new one since we were not able to move the unit. The new door is almost twice the thickness of the original door. I have a feeling they have had other problems with warping doors!

Dale
dalehandsome is offline   Reply With Quote