Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
db39

Pin wt for '03 36RS3

Does anyone know the pin wt for an '03 36RS3? When we bought it a couple of years ago we didn't weigh it empty and since we are full time we don't intend to unload it just to weigh it.
Would appreciate any info about this item
DB

Old 10-08-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
rdunk

Quote db39 - "Does anyone know the pin wt for an '03 36RS3? When we bought it a couple of years ago we didn't weigh it empty and since we are full time we don't intend to unload it just to weigh it.
.................................................. ...............
It is not necessary to unload the RV to get the pin weight. Just go to a "Cat Scale" or other scale and weigh the tow vehicle by itself. Then hook up the RV, and take it back to the scale, and weigh the tow vehicle again. Obviously, the difference between the two weights will be the actual "pin weight" of your loaded 36RS3!!

You might as well weigh the 36RS3 also while you are going through the second weighing.

If Stacey Frank is around your area, he can do all of this on-site for you.

Robert

rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Motor31

The unloaded pin weight is meaningless as you don't tow the trailer unloaded. The only weight situation that really matters is the loaded condition as that is how you use the unit.

When weighing the rig make sure you have a scale that uses multiple weighing pads. Place the axles on a separate pad, steer or front axle, rear axle of truck and the trailer axles on another pad. Comparing the rear axle weight of the truck weighed by itself vs the loaded weight does give you the pin weight. Make sure the truck is weighed both times with full fuel, passengers and loaded as if you were going to be heading down the road.

Check to make sure that each axle is not overloaded either by axle capacity or tire capacity as well as the GVW and GCVW. The last consideration will need a weighing system like Stacy (Stripit) uses so he can tell the weight on each tire and also give you the side to side loading data. The weight on the trailer is not evenly distributed either front to rear or side by side. It is easy to have one side overloaded.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
db39

I have weighed it several times over the last couple of year

I know how to do what you suggested and have done it 2-3 times. However, we are considering buying a new MS and wanted to know how my original pin wt compares to the new ones to give us some idea about what our loaded pin wt would be on a new one. Right now I have 4000# on the pin.
We toured the factory recently and two of us on the tour suggested that they move the axles 6" or so forward of their current location to unload some of the pin wt. However, the "sales" rep conducting the tour had no answer for that and we haven't received a reply to that question since we left.
Our trailer weighs 16,600 (last year in Cheyenne) which means we have 25% of the wt on the pin. I talk to a lot of other 5er's on the road and other trailer owners we have talke to have no more than 15-20% on the pin.
We love our MS and they are best built trailer on the market. Our biggest problem is the pin wt as we don't want to go to a Freightliner or Volvo tractor to pull it with.
Thanks for your input.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
terry and jo

DB,

Follow this link to the thread entitled something like, "Suites Weights" and check out the document that is in that first entry by the Fifth Wheel Forum administrator. Be sure you are logged in so you can click on the "Download" link.

Once in that document, you will see weight for trucks, trailer axles and pin weights that Stacey had done over the years. The pin weights in that document are under various models and sizes and may give you a "ballpark" idea of pin weights.

http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums...pic.php?t=3153

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
db39

Terry

Terry,
Thanks for the info. I had already read his message, but I am new to this website and I don't know how to download the "file" he mentions in the message. How do I do that??
My wife and I are both okies originally, where do you live?
DB
Old 10-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
5thwheeler

downloading a file

click on the link below
http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums...pic.php?t=3153

At the bottom of the post, right side - find the word download
It's under the "paperclip"
Click on the "download", and follow the instructions.
Make sure you remember where the file was stored.
I usually "download" to the "desktop"
After the file has been downloaded, find it on the desktop and double click
That's it!
5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
terry and jo

DB,

Of course, first log into the website. If you don't, when you get to the thread with the weights, you won't be able to see the "attachment". The attachment is a "layered box" below the administrator's message. To the right side of that box is another box with the word "Download" in it. Click on the word and it will bring up the document with the weights listed. The document is a pdf file, or Adobe Reader file. So, you'll need Adobe Reader installed on your computer. It is a free program available from Adobe.

If you wish to save the pdf file on your own hard-drive, there is an icon at the upper left hand side that looks like a floppy disk. Click on that and you can then save it on your drive. Just remember where you put it. I've managed to forget where I put some things I save and then have to do a search.

Should you still have trouble with the file, let me know via private message and include your e-mail address so I can e-mail it to you. By the way, the document has a few of your floorplan, but in newer models But, it still may be helpful to you.

As for Jo and I, we are currently living in the Oklahoma City area, out between Mustang and Tuttle. Originally, though, we are from the Panhandle of Oklahoma. I hail from the town of Keyes, Oklahoma in Cimarron County, the last county going west in the Panhandle. Jo was raised on a farm about 21 miles NE of Keyes near the the town of Elkhart, Kansas. Their farm was in the NW corner of Texas County.

Once we get our house sold, we will be living in the Mobile Suites, but don't know for sure just where. We're looking at a few possibilities, including 3 mobile home parks and one or two RV parks. We have a few years before we retire, so we would live locally until then. After retirement, then we hit the road and every national and state park that we can.

Terry

Edit: It looks like the administrator also posted instructions. Must have been done while I was composing my message.
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:43 AM   #9
Motor31

The 4000 lb pin weight you have is pretty much in line with the pin weight I have on our 38'. I weighed it after purchase at almost 4400 lbs loaded. The overall weight as well as the pin weight is enough to require more than the typical 1 ton for safe towing.

In my case I prefer the higher pin weight as I have the truck to handle that and more so that is places less strain on the trailer suspension components.

With an increase in GVW for the larger (36' and up) DRV trailers to 20,000 lbs they have not gotten lighter. I would expect the pin weight to reflect that situation.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #10
wingnut60
Site Team

pin weights

Ever since I began thinking about owning a fifth wheel about 8 years ago, it has always been mentioned on various forums that the PW should be around 20-25% of the GVWR. There has to be some basic physical rule that has proven that figure to work in the majority of cases--I would think for the following reasons:
1) If too little % of the gross is on the pin, the trailer will be 'tailheavy' and tend to cause sway or hard-to-control conditions
2) If too much % of the gross is on the pin, then the tow vehicle has to be larger/heavier/more capable to carry the weight
3) Moving the axles forward would result in excess weight on the rear axle and cause (more) tire problems

Probably the best towing situation would approximate the configuration of a semi-truck/trailer combo--the trailers have the wheels at the rear of the structure, not near the middle as a fiver has--but then every one would need an HDT to tow, and the trailer tires would have to be much larger than what is currently in use.

The overall design/construction of a fifth wheel is a total compromise of several parameters that each manufacturer feels will work best for their construction--but all seem to recognize the limitations of what the PW should be to make the fiver towable by the biggest number of pickups that are commonly available to the most buyers.

Just get a truck that will handle the actual PW of the unit you are pulling would seem to be the best solution...

Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote