Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #21
Cheif 2

Do you really plan on boondocking so much that you think you will need a bank of batteries and an inverter? We went to Alaska in 2010 and boondocked for the better part of 6 weeks and only used a Honda EU2000 for power and the two 6 volt batteries I had the factory install. Never had a problem.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #22
hitchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by imouttahere
Now that I think of it, you're probably right - there's no inverter. You either have 120 from the gen or the shore post. Not enough juice in one bat to run much of an invertor. Next question is, when I put one in, I'm assuming there has to be a switch to isolate the shore power from backflowing into the inverter. I know the gen has an auto transfer cutoff switch.... That's where I need some good advice on how to wire that in to the 120 ac system.
Thanks for all the info - you guys have been a lot of help.

gd
You may not have an Inverter, but a Converter like we do. It's behind the sliding basement doors on top of a tank, near the water filter (if you have one).

We have a Onan generator, but when CG shore power goes out, the converter works with the batteries to power 12v items. It's been tested a few times. Some lights still work and the fan on the furnaces, so we still had heat throughout the night.

Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #23
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Quote:
Originally Posted by imouttahere
That's some eye opening information. I know there are people that weigh individual wheels and charge about $50 or so to do that at rally's & such, but do they just travel around? I'd like to find a place in S FL that could do that... Is there a name for that type of scale?

gd
This is good information and weighing by wheel position tells a real story of what your actually carrying and where that weight is. In Florida you can contact RVSEF headquarters and see if they can weigh you.

RV Safety & Education Foundation
125 E Merritt Island Cswy
Suite 209409
Merritt Island, FL 32952
Phone: 321-453-7673
Fax: 321-453-3853
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #24
RickandJanice

To answer the question about the fresh water tank, it runs the entire inside width of the frame. Looks to me its weight would be distributed evenly. On our unit the gray and black tanks are also in the center but do not run the full inside width of the frame. They also appear their weight would be distributed evenly side to side. Our rig is about 650 lbs. heavier on the street side but I believe this is mainly due to the two slides on that side and the one containing the entertainment center, stove and refrigerator. The other factor is that the LP tanks and Batteries are also on the street side. This all adds up in a hurry. We had MorRyde Independent suspension installed and they adjusted it based on each individual wheel weight which is supposed to adjust for this situation as far as the suspension and the level of the rig.

RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote