Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2019, 11:08 PM   #1
Narnia

Can musty odor from mold be removed?

Hi everyone! We have looked at so many fivers that have musty odors and have had to pass on them due to the musty odors.

Is it possible to permanently get rid of the mold spores in a unit? It would be in the A/C system, all the carpets, walls, furniture, mattress, etc.

Can mold be permanently killed?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:26 PM   #2
stanleyz

Are you sure its mold. Not likely absent a leak unrepaired for a long time. Most likely it is carpet if you are looking at an older unit. I just took all mine out and refloored and it smells much better.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:44 PM   #3
Narnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyz View Post
Are you sure its mold. Not likely absent a leak unrepaired for a long time. Most likely it is carpet if you are looking at an older unit. I just took all mine out and refloored and it smells much better.
Wow! Thanks! This is good to know!
Old 04-21-2019, 08:50 AM   #4
stanleyz

Based on your posts on here I guess u are looking for a used fifth wheel. Be careful, there are a lot thorns on those roses. First decision is what do you want to do with it. If you are going to take the grsnd kids to the lake or park a couple weekends during summer then most anything will do. But, if you intend to hook up and tow across the country and back a few times there are only a couple brands worth looking at. Mobile suites is one, very heavy duty, Petersen Industry not as much luxury but built very well, some of the older Travel Supreme and there are a couple others. Most all the luxury models went out of business in 09/10. Do not consider anything with a wood frame, they quit doing wood in late 90s early 2000s.

If you like MS it is a good choice but heavy so stay on dry land, no wet areas lol. The stuff you want to know about is the "trailer" part of it. Here's some stuff to look for.

Axles, what axles are on it. 7000 lb are barely adequate. Mine has 7000 lb axles with 8000 lb hubs, Axles should have a slight bow in them with the middle slightly higher than the ends. Look at tires for a strange wear pattern like all the wear on the inside or outside, usually means axle problems. Don't let it kill a good deal deal they can be straightened and alighned at a good trailer shop for a 1000 dollars or less.

Brakes, it is a heavy trailer and brakes are very important. Disk brakes are a bonus. Regular electric brakes are OK if maintained. I don't know how to tell you how to check the brakes. You could ask, but if you are at a dealer they don't know and if private it would be a rare person who would tell you it needed brakes. One of the problems buy used is you normally don't get a test drive but if you do get er up to highway speed and do a hard stop, you will be able to tell if the brakes are good. If you find one that needs brakes the best way to repair them is to buy "brake assemblies". That is the whole package and bolts to the axle, replace them and get the hubs turned and you would be good for a long time. Again, cost is around 1000 dollars if you do it, a few hundred bucks labor at a trailer shop.

Wheel bearings. Most of the older suites have neverlube sealed bearings. So if you see a lot of seepage around the hub be concerned, hard to check them because the hub has to come out but if you can get the wheel raised off the ground grab the wheel on both sides and see if there is any play in it then do the same from top to bottom, a lot play indicates probably bad wheel bearings. You can get them from etrailer or Dexter for 150 bucks or a little less, If it has regular bearings they need serviced every year, a good DIY project but dirty job.

Tires, very important. MS is heavy. Tires and wheels should be 17.5 inch H rated. Check the date on them, if they are 4 or more years old I would replace them. If they are 16 inch (on anything but a 32 foot) on a MS I would replace them. I had very bad luck with Goodyear G114. Had 2 blow outs with 16 inch and one with 17.5, all three on the fifth year of the tires. Others swear by them. I tow a lot, back and forth the country a half dozen times or more. I can't tell you how much of a bummer a blow out is. You can replace all four tires and wheels for around 2000 bucks. If they are questionable. do it.

Spring packs and shocks make up the rest of the running gear. The trailer should sit and ride level from side to side although most are off a hair or so, Most used trailers will have a level mounted on the front. Take a look. if it is way off investigate. Could be a busted spring leaf or two. A good trailer shop can fix it and build you some springs but it will cost. You can also replace them yourself but it's dirty job.

And the big one is the frame. Some folks on here have said they had a frame failure uo by the pin. I've never seen that but take a look and see if you have any deformity. I have no idea how that gets fixed but I'm thinking a welder will be involved.

All the other stuff is pretty easy to keep up with. Water leaks are the most likely to find. A leak is not a big deal but an undiscovered and unrepaired leak is a big problem and can rot the floors in the RV or the slides. You sound like you know what to look for. The damage can be repaired but the best thing is to find a unit from someone who has kept it caulked (twice a year) and checked often for leaks.

There is some other stuff but not worth mentioning, All the rest is just like home except the stuff that works on DC. That system is straight forward, It runs off the batteries. If you are plugged in it runs off the battery and the battery is kept at full charge by the converter, Just plug in and check that every thing works.

Hope this helps you or anyone who finds it. I've been retired just short of 20 years and I'M on my second 5er and third truck. My trailer has well over 100,000 miles and I wouldn't hesitate to hook up and head for the west coast tomorrow. Maintain, maintain, maintain. BTW, in all those years I've had my trailer to a dealer twice. Once to repair my rear stabilizers (hydraulic) Camping World kept it two weeks longer than they had promised and did not fix the problem. Then they handed me a bill for 750 bucks which I negotiated down to about 250 but I still had the problem. Took it home and fixed it myself for less than 200 dollars. Second time I had a local dealer install an awning, they did OK. Use trailer shops when possible. The internet is your friend. You can find almost anything to do with a trailer on line, most with videos,
Old 04-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
Narnia

Thank you, StanleyZ! So much good info!

We are looking to live in it while we remodel our house. Then, we hope to sell the house and travel around the country a bit, to see where we might want to settle. We may sell the 5th and buy a motor home for that purpose, but the space in a 5th is quite tempting to keep!

The two MS's in our area both had water damage and we need something very soon, so we may have to settle on a Montana or such. We were so disappointed by the water damage, as we absolutely loved the quality and layout of the MS.

The owner had had it for 2 years and never once caulked, as he said that he had done research and read that you only need to do it once every two years! I was surprised at this, as I had read otherwise. He had only sprayed roof conditioner on it.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #6
elliott-maine

If they had water damage, stay away from them.
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
SamIam

Water damage WILL expose you to bacteria you shouldn't breathe. You need to be careful of flooded RVs especially considering you sleep in it
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:44 PM   #8
stanleyz

I am no expert but I do have an opinion on this subject. With or without water intrusion I believe that RVs with carpet will get "musty" over time. It probably happens faster and has a stronger odor with water leaks but just daily use over time will cause the oder. Having just removed my carpet and replaced it with faux wood I can report that we are now odor free. I had very little water damage, just some stains. That is due to the fact that I am a fanatic on the subject and check after every heavy rain.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:37 PM   #9
Narnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyz View Post
I am no expert but I do have an opinion on this subject. With or without water intrusion I believe that RVs with carpet will get "musty" over time. It probably happens faster and has a stronger odor with water leaks but just daily use over time will cause the oder. Having just removed my carpet and replaced it with faux wood I can report that we are now odor free. I had very little water damage, just some stains. That is due to the fact that I am a fanatic on the subject and check after every heavy rain.
That's good to know! However, don't mold spores get into the furniture, bedding, and the window treatments...mainly all porous surfaces like fabric, etc.? But, I also think that it would get into raw wood as well.