Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
Motor31

Leaks

Just a note to let you know what we have found as a new development.

We have had a chronic leak in the rear facing window of the dining room slide. Whenever water runs down the window it enters the rig under the window frame and trickles down the wall soaking the carpet and floor of the slide. The repair from the service center in Elkhart didn't hold and the leak came back on the first heavy rainfall on that side of the trailer. I am not sure the leak is around the window frame. I'm beginning to suspect it's leaking through the frame itself into the trailer instead of out the weep holes to the outside.

On Sunday night the sky opened up in Central Texas near San Antonio. We found a leak in the overhead fantanstic fan vent over the bed. I spottted it before it soaked the bed fortunately. Monday I went up and looked at the vent. I found that there was a shortage of caulk around the vent base. I am rather surprisd it stayed as dry as it did since the "bead" of caulk didn't even overlap the edge of the fan base. The caulk was just applied in a small bead up against the plastic edge. There were several cracks in the caulk and one was leaking into the roof onto the bed. I removed the old caulk and applied a new bead using an RV sealant I got from the tech when the first caulk problems were noted on delivery.

I'd recommend going up on the roof and looking at the caulk beads around the fans, skylight and other protruding items going through or into the roof membrane. The cracks are easy to spot and will allow water inside if not sealed.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote