Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
waldmeer

LP Tanks Refilling - Questions

Have had my 5th wheel for less than a month now. Had motorhomes for more than 20 years but when retired and now full-timing have switched to a 5th wheel.

On the motorhomes I had installed a "Stay-A-While" connection before the LP Regulator. With this I was able to hook up a small 20 LB LP Tank and take it in for refills when needed. WHen we started to travel south for the winter a few years ago I saw so many who had to pack up their motrthome only to go a few miles to get their LP tanks filled and then return and set up all over again. Adding the small tank seemed much better than packing up just to get the LP tank filled.

With the new 5th wheel it has two 40 LB tanks. How heavy are these tanks when filled? I am not sure I can lift them out and back in when filled. My 5'er has an automatic switch over but no meter/gauge to let me know when a tank is empty. SO do both tanks go empty before I know they are empty?

What have some of the other full-timers done regarding the LP tanks?
waldmeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
MDTdriver

propane

We have been fulltime for 10 years, have one tank on each side of 5er, I am 66 and in fair health, I can lift full tank back in but they are getting heaver. You could ask for help from your site next door. There are in line gauges sold at Camping World and Home Depot and Low's . They work well. I watch the gauge when the stove quits (have auto switch over) I keep the second tank closed and change over manually. Then fill the empty tank the next time I go out for something.

Larry & Kathy plus Meeko who loves 32 deg. temp
Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
MDTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
waldmeer

Thanks for the reply regarding LP Tank weights. We have now had our 5th wheel since Sept. 3, 2009 and have been full-timing in it since then.

My 5th wheel has two 40# tanks and an automatic switchover as well as an indicator which turns from green to red when the tank being used gets near to empty. SO far I have had this tank refilled twice. Once was at a campground where the staff took the empty tank out, filled it and returned it to me and hooked it up. ANother time we were able to pull up to their refill station with the tank still in the slide-out tray.

With the kindness of the full-timers and other campers, I feel certain that I will have no problems getting the tanks out, refilled and then re-installed.

We are loving our new 5th wheel and all the space we have in it. It far exceeds the old 35' motorhome with no slides.
waldmeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:49 PM   #4
Sabre

Although this is an old topic, I recently change my Propane tanks for two BBQ size tanks, which are much easier to lift and either exchange or refill.
My purchase of the new tanks was from COSTCO and they came with a Gas Gauge. Obviously these tanks would be refilled not exchanged !
I also disposed of the old tanks by donating them.
Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:56 AM   #5
Notanlines

72 lbs

A 40 lb propane tank holds 9.4 gallons of propane and weighs 72 lbs full.

And, yes, it is an old thread.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:10 AM   #6
Sabre

Most 20 lb BBQ tanks have a tare weight of 17 pounds when completely empty. This means a "full" propane tank should weigh about 37 pounds.
And just because its an old thread shouldn't mean a response isn't welcome or be criticized by someone whose facts are wrong !!
Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:25 AM   #7
Notanlines

Did I miss something here?
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:35 PM   #8
wingnut60
Site Team

Based on my past several years of full-timing with the 10gal/40lb tanks, propane is getting heavier each year.......
Solved the problem by getting an all-electric motorhome.
Don't know how your tanks are situated, but my Suites had them in a line and one in front of the other. The back one was a bear to handle, so did my best to always run on the front tank and kept the back tank as reserve. Also used space heaters much as possible to reduce propane use, only stayed once in a CG that charged separately for electric.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote