Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
Motor31

Kitchen drain pipe modification

Has anyone else with an 38RE3 gotten a notice from Double Tree about modifying the kitchen drain pipe?

It seems there was a design flaw in the placement of the drain pipe, both the hard as well as the flexible drain pipes. The solution involves cutting the hard extension away and rerouting it to the back of the cabinet instead of the side as well as re routing water and the flexible drain pipe. They specify 3 hours shop time but nothing in the how to packet or letter suggested they were fixing this as a warranty issue.`

A call to Mr. Peck indicated they are fixing the problem at their cost. If you have a unit in the same serial number range as ours (2366 late 05 time period) and have not gotten the packet you might want to contact DT and ask if yours is covered in this modification.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
maltruck8

Mike, I have a 2007 #3347 and I also got the mod. notice. Right now we are not near any dealers that I know of, so I'll wait until I get to somewhere closer to one that will do the work.

2001 Volvo (Suite-T) pulling 2007 MS 38RL3 #3347
https://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community
maltruck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
CherriandBob

We got the notice, but Bob had already found and fixed the problem. Think we can bill Doubletree for labor and materials?

Cherri
SOITC Charter Member #2730
Central Division
2006 38RL3
2004 Freightliner M2
robertsqualityrv.com
Enjoy life...Keep it simple
CherriandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
2 DA WDS

Mike, I presume your reference to the RE3 was a typo and should have been RL3?? Is there a differenct between the 2?
2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
bstark

Mike: My 05 38RL3 unit is number 2367 so I guess I qualify for the letter to arrive sometime soon, right? I happened on the problem way back when I first took delivery and was under that panel to replace the angle aluminum piece that runs over the center roller and noticed that the flexible feed and drain lines were being dragged over the sharp corners of the roller brackets so I fabricated a cover for the roller and also used a large enough piece of STEEL angle to support all of the hoses while slideout is being moved.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
Motor31

The only tool that is not a common hand tool in the "how to" packet was a saber saw to cut the PVC pipe below the cabinet floor. From there it's all plain hand tools and PVC related stuff like cleaner and glue as well as a couple metal clamps to hold the new PVC extension in place.

I had already rerouted my flex piping earlier when one of the water hoses got crimped from slide movement. Chances are that the mod will not really make any additional improvement but I'd rather get it done and hopefully eliminate any potential for problems later.

This notice had a May date on the cover letter. It got sent to the wrong address in my case so it took a while to be forwarded to me. If you have not gotten the notice and you have a 38' rig I think it would be a good idea to call the factory and ask about it. My notice did not indicate the 36' was covered nor did it give a serial number range.

I'm likely to have it done by an independent RV repair facility since the closest dealer is over 70 miles away from our location and the warranty desk person wouldn't answer the phone there. I'll be clearing that with a call to the factory on Monday.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
CherriandBob

We posted pictures in September 06 of our drain lines. Guess Doubletree found out it wasn't an isolated incident.

Cherri
SOITC Charter Member #2730
Central Division
2006 38RL3
2004 Freightliner M2
robertsqualityrv.com
Enjoy life...Keep it simple
CherriandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
WildJohn

I found the problem first time out when I let the gray water tank overfill... what a mess. carpet in Living Room saturated and my posterior properly chewed by DW. Fixed it best I could and will take it to my dealer in a month or so when we plan to make the trip anyway.
John

gearmaster
backup cams
3KW Honda
6V battery bank w/inverters
WildJohn is offline   Reply With Quote