Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2023, 06:29 AM   #1
Firstfiver

12v connecting noise

I have a 2002 Chaparral 26RLS. While on our last trip a couple weeks ago I started hearing a disconcerting noise from the overhead AC unit. The thermostat was set to OFF. The noise is intermittent and sounds like a contactor making/breaking. So I turned off the breaker for the AC/furnace. Still get the noise. Took off the air vent cover and there is an electrical connection box there. Opened up the cover on that box and there is a 3Amp spade fuse on what appears to be a control board. Pulled the fuse and the noise stopped. Any ideas what the cause might be?

Old 03-28-2023, 12:33 AM   #2
Dave A

Try to help

I'm no expert, but I'm wondering a few things. If you turn your breaker on and replace the fuse and turn the AC on, does it work? Where your 3amp fuse is, is there power to it all time? Could there be a loose connection somewhere from the main fuse panel to the AC. Is it the original AC? If it is that sucker is pretty old. What is the brand and are there parts available for it if you do find a problem? Best of luck!

Old 03-28-2023, 08:12 AM   #3
Firstfiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
I'm no expert, but I'm wondering a few things. If you turn your breaker on and replace the fuse and turn the AC on, does it work?
Good question. I'll try that. Being winter I was only using the heating function (propane), but that worked fine.

Where your 3amp fuse is, is there power to it all time?

Evidently there is since the even with the breaker off the noise continues until I pull the fuse.

Could there be a loose connection somewhere from the main fuse panel to the AC. Is it the original AC?
It is all original [so 20 yrs old) but seems to have been only lightly used.

If it is that sucker is pretty old. What is the brand and are there parts available for it if you do find a problem? Best of luck!
Thanks for replying.

Tags
12v, control board, furnace