Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2022, 02:24 PM   #1
RalphyBoy

DIY modify MORryde solid steps??

I have just purchased my first 5th wheel. It's a 2020 Arctic Fox 29-5T. I have to park/store it in an RV storage lot. There is no room to swing out my MORryde solid steps without hitting the next trailer. I see they have modified the steps to come out with a hinge pin in these situations for 2021 and newer models. Is there a way to modify my current steps to be removable? I don't really want them to swing up and block the door when closed either. I would rather store them laying flat in the trailer or my pick-up bed, so I don't care about removing the easy lift shock absorber on the side. Has anyone done this? suggestions?

RalphyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 05:03 PM   #2
RLH1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyBoy View Post
I have just purchased my first 5th wheel. It's a 2020 Arctic Fox 29-5T. I have to park/store it in an RV storage lot. There is no room to swing out my MORryde solid steps without hitting the next trailer. I see they have modified the steps to come out with a hinge pin in these situations for 2021 and newer models. Is there a way to modify my current steps to be removable? I don't really want them to swing up and block the door when closed either. I would rather store them laying flat in the trailer or my pick-up bed, so I don't care about removing the easy lift shock absorber on the side. Has anyone done this? suggestions?
This was one reason quick disconnects were developed. Best option would be to buy a new set of stairs that are quick connect.
The hinge steps & quick connect steps have different
mechanisms.

RLH1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:51 PM   #3
440scout!

Quote:
I had a similar problem trying to fit the 5th wheel between the house and fence. So I drilled out the 4 rivets at the top of the steps and instead used 1/4" pins with tapered ends and a a small hole on the other end to put a key ring so they can be pulled out easier. I found them on Amazon with lots of choices. Just find pins that are approximately 1/2" longer than the thickness of the step stringer. Youl
440scout! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:57 PM   #4
440scout!

Sorry, I got cut off. You'll still have pop the little flat spring things off the top of the shock(s) first when the steps are in the up position. Hopefully that last part is correct as I haven't had to do that in quite awhile.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:14 PM   #5
RalphyBoy

no great solution yet

Thanks to all who responded. I originally asked Northwood for their opinion and they said the Torklift steps would leave behind quite a few holes in the floor. They switched me over to MORryde for an upgrade solution. MORryde does have a conversion kit from Gen 1 to Gen 2 steps, which have a removable pin, but it no longer works with the step assist system (lifters) I have and I would again have holes. I also have a friend with a Grand Design 5th wheel that switched his steps for Torklifts. This let me lift his old steps and see the weight of them. I can't imagine unpinning these steps and lifting them up to re-pin them when I'm done. They weigh a ton. So, I'm still trying to figure something out. I wish I could cut the steps in half, put in a hinge and then some kind of pin system to secure them straight again. It would be great if the steps folded in half.
I might consider 440scout! 's idea, but the steps sure are heavy when unattached.
RalphyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 10:03 PM   #6
NewNole2001

Quote:
I wish I could cut the steps in half, put in a hinge and then some kind of pin system to secure them straight again.
Any metal fabrication shop should be able to modify your steps the way you are describing. It's a great idea that you should tell Morryde to implement!
NewNole2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 04:18 PM   #7
440scout!

You don't have hold the steps up, just put them in position and start pushing the pins in. The weight of the steps rests on the ground. I have taken them off and put them on several times by myself but mostly with my wifes help and we are in our 70s..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230214_150849.jpg (115.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-14-2023, 05:59 PM   #8
440scout!

[QUOTE=440scout!;33418]You don't have to hold the steps up, just put them in position and start pushing the pins in. The weight of the steps rests on the ground. I have taken them off and put them on several times by myself but mostly with my wifes help and we are in our 70s.

If you decide to use the pins, you'll need 4. They are stainless steel, 1/4" diameter, 2-1/2" overall length and they will have a key ring on one end which is used to pull them out. Make sure they have a tapered end with the little spring loaded ball that keeps them from coming out.