Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2021, 11:20 AM   #1
TMag

Internet Solutions?

We are looking for an internet solution for places without wifi or cell service. Anyone out there using HughesNet? Or what is the best way to connect these days? Things change so fast

TMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:51 AM   #2
GTM

I used Hughes net several years back on a rural property. When other options became available I dropped them like a hot potato. Poor customer service, slow speeds and high price. I also used Via Sat. Better speeds, slightly better customer service still way over priced, however when you have nothing else they are better than nothing.

For the RV I have been looking at getting a mobile router like Pepwave and a couple mifi fi hot spots. Not cheap for the hot spots but should work for most locations.

GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:17 PM   #3
TMag

Thanks for the reply. Dish Network has internet but its just HuguesNet rebranded. AT&T offers a hotspot deal but you still need cell service.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:32 PM   #4
ford truck guy11

A few folks I know started using these folks back in 2016 -

https://calyxinstitute.org/membership/membership-levels

Truly unlimited... and about $33.00 a month after the first year of $41.00
ford truck guy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:18 AM   #5
Notanlines

Ford Guy, did you read his "without wifi or cell service?" His only option is satellite. Slow, expensive and oh, expensive no matter the program you find.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:23 AM   #6
ford truck guy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Ford Guy, did you read his "without wifi or cell service?" His only option is satellite. Slow, expensive and oh, expensive no matter the program you find.
I read that, but i guess I misinterpreted what he was saying... My bad
Old 01-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #7
Notanlines

Ford Guy, my wife told me that my post had a tone of arrogance. Sorry about that, it was not intentional I assure you.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:19 PM   #8
ford truck guy11

Thats funny !

Im usually the one who has to apologize because my wife...

Any way, no worries, I didn’t think anything of it..After all, I’m the new kid on the block here
Old 01-29-2021, 09:45 AM   #9
terry and jo

I know this is not really relatable if there is absolutely NO cell service, but in some areas where it is limited, a few couples that I know have two different phones on two different networks. One on Verizon for example and the other on AT&T. Sometimes, one network works when the other doesn't.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:14 PM   #10
TMag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Ford Guy, my wife told me that my post had a tone of arrogance. Sorry about that, it was not intentional I assure you.
Damn this guy is funny, lots of fun here FOSHO

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like the best answer is theres no real cost effective solution (for my budget) its not worth a huge upfront cost then another monthly payment over what im paying for Netflix, Prime and the like. kinda cuts into my entertainment monies a bit too deep. again juss mee

Its so dumb that i have to pay internet for damn near each device i have connected. Aaagghhhh
Old 02-01-2021, 03:40 PM   #11
Goober

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMag View Post
Damn this guy is funny, lots of fun here FOSHO

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like the best answer is theres no real cost effective solution (for my budget) its not worth a huge upfront cost then another monthly payment over what im paying for Netflix, Prime and the like. kinda cuts into my entertainment monies a bit too deep. again juss mee

Its so dumb that i have to pay internet for damn near each device i have connected. Aaagghhhh
I am trying to address the same problem. In multiple calls with HughesNet, they continue to state that I must agree to a 'contract' but they will not provide a copy of whatever agreement is expected. They told me I had to order the service and pay for the first month in order to get an installer to bring paperwork out. Apparently, they do not have email or document scanning capability. They refer me to their website. I could not find a contract on their website. I am not a lawyer but I do practice law without a license as a hobby. IMO, there cannot be an enforceable contract if one party refuses to provide the other with the agreement. That and the fact that HughNet takes back service you paid for by not rolling over unused data from one month to the next while throttling your service if you do exceed their limits in a given month. There is no option at any price that will allow you to have stable, predictable internet service from HughesNet that was explained to me in multiple calls.
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:42 PM   #12
Goober

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford truck guy11 View Post
A few folks I know started using these folks back in 2016 -

https://calyxinstitute.org/membership/membership-levels

Truly unlimited... and about $33.00 a month after the first year of $41.00
Are you sure about this web link?
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:22 PM   #13
Centexrider

We live at a rural address in Texas where we are unable to get cable. We tried Hughesnet for a couple of years and let's just say they are very expensive and limited (plus needs a satellite dish). I know you said you want a solution where there's no cell service, but I'll tell you about a cell-based service anyway, because cell coverage is getting better and better, and you may decide it's the best option for the present. It costs around $120/mo, but it is truly unlimited data. Our 4G reception (new subscribers can get 5G) uses a modem and wireless router, and it's pretty darned fast; much better than Hughes. We travel over most of the summer with our RV, and it's nice to be able to take it with us (works anywhere there's AT&T service). So unless you are doing a lot of boondocking in the hinterlands this may be your best option. The company is called Oliveip.com and I highly recommend them if you need unlimited data and decide to go the cellular route after all.
Centexrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:47 PM   #14
ford truck guy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Are you sure about this web link?
YES... Calyx Institute... They are non profit... You even get a form to submit up to $200 in donations as a write off on your taxes... So you deduct that $200 and its $200 total for 12 months of unlimited ....

I just received my hotspot today, it activated once I powered it up... Went in and changed the passwords and names..

* BY THE WAY ** I am NOT affiliated with them in any way.... The resident IT guru over on the Redwood site recommended them..
Old 02-01-2021, 08:49 PM   #15
Barry

There is no solution that is great right now but it is supposedly coming this year.

SpaceX is launching a matrix of low earth orbit high speed internet satellites that will ultimately provide exactly what you need. Maybe by year end. It can provide home internet or take it with you in the RV internet - ANYWHERE. Even in the middle of nowhere. Price is supposed to be similar to to typical high speed internet. Supposed to do streaming as well.

It's called Starlink. I plan to subscribe when available. Pair it with a VOIP cell phone capability or similar and you're in high cotton.

They've already launched over a thousand (60 at a time)and plan for 12,000 of them initially. Next expected launches are Wednesday & Thursday of this week from the Kennedy Space launch complex. So they are serious about this.

https://www.starlink.com/
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:56 PM   #16
steve_darlene

Starlink should be available soon. $500 upfront for equipment then $99 a month.It would be a cable equillavent.
steve_darlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:21 PM   #17
TaoJones

I second the mention of Starlink, but it's in beta currently and only available (by invitation) in the northern tier of states and Canada. The good news is that they intend to have global coverage by the end of this year!

The bad news is that it isn't currently mobile, meaning you can't put one on your RV in, say, Alberta and drive it to Texas happily getting internet access constantly as you travel. For now, they're only letting users employ Starlink at a fixed address.

More good news is that this solution springs from the mind of Elon Musk, and I'm continually amazed at how successfully he cooks up an idea and makes it happen. His team call the current beta version Better Than Nothing, and boy is it ever! Download speeds are better than you'd ever think possible, and upload speeds are equally impressive. Downtime is almost negligible.

Yes, the Starlink equipment costs $499, and service is $99/month, currently. It will be interesting to see how wider adoption of the technology will effect both the connection speeds as well as the price.

The rumor is that they will find a way to make it compatible with people on the move (cars, RVs, buses, trains, boats, etc.) very soon. I believe that's more a billing and payment issue than a technological one.

If you can afford the cost and can wait just awhile longer, Starlink should be able to satisfy anyone who absolutely must have internet access no matter where they are on the planet.

That, to me, is the Holy Grail.

TJ
Old 02-03-2021, 08:07 AM   #18
Barry

I agree with you. I actually posted comments in this thread (I think) about Starlink. It looks like a good option later this year or early next. I plan to try it when it becomes available.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:51 PM   #19
Barry

A place I just found what looks to have everything you need for WiFi. They say they are full time RVers. They name is Mobile Must Have - Mobile Lifestyle Solutions. They take your needs and recommend a solution. They have all the hardware and software. If SpaceX doesn't come through soon, I'll give them a try. No clue how expensive they are. I would link a review in here but as a new user am restricted. But googling ... AWESOME Mobile Internet! Working from the Road Full Time! ... should show a Utube video review plus provide links to hardware.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:35 PM   #20
TMag

Thanks for all the info folks. Looks like i will go with a cell hotspot for now. We are usually not far from "the grid". Maybe a signal booster will help? I dont want to spend 100/mo for a service i may use twice a month.