Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
layne

Direct TV

We just got our 2007 ES with all the entertainment center stuff in the bedroom closet. (Somehow I knew all this was going to cause us a problem). We have our Hughes satellite receiver in the bedroom closet hooked up, but we have to stand by the island in the kitchen and point the remote toward the closet (which has to be open) in order to get the satellite things like the menu and programs! I kind of think we are going to have to get a new receiver and remote, but I really got the run around from the people with Logitech that we have the universal remote from (Harmony remote) and from Direct TV. Logitech is saying that we need an IR (infrared) receiver, but Direct TV says that's we have and we need an RF radio frequency. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and experienced any of this? Thanks.

layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
jdwilson3

Correct

Correct, you need an RF remote & receiver...IR will not work thru the walls.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:38 AM   #3
BobW

You can also use a mirror.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
Dueler

IR Remote Control

I have a similar problem in my 36TK with the satellite receiver in the living room and watching it on the bedroom TV while in bed. I solved it with an IR remote extender device called a Powermid. Go to the following site to check it out. [http://www.smarthome.com/prodindex.asp?catid=262] It works great for a lot less than buying a new RF equiped receiver. However, I will give one caution. Florescent lights interfer with the device. Don't have them on when you use the it.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
fiverdriver

Re: Direct TV

The Harmony is probably the best remote to come around in years, we have the Harmony 880 and control our entire stereo and home theatre system including a PC with Windows media center with it. Eight remotes are retired forever to a spare drawer. BUT it is infrared meaning things need to be able to be pointed at.

Having components in other rooms, around corners etc will dictate radio frequency or other infrared extending gadgets.

Don't blame the poor little Harmony, it's trying it's hardest to see what you have!
fiverdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
wandrr

Re: Direct TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiverdriver
The Harmony is probably the best remote to come around in years, we have the Harmony 880 and control our entire stereo and home theatre system including a PC with Windows media center with it.
The Harmony 890 has both IR and RF. It is the RF version of the 880. See http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10930
We fully agree about the Harmony remote. It is truly great, though a bit pricey. You can pretty well toss out all your other remotes.
Fulltiming in a 2004 Mobile Suites 36TK3 #1201
towed by a 2011 F-350 6.7 L diesel.
wandrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
When we put the LCD in the basement I went to Best Buy and purchased a IR remote sensor. I put one in the LR facing the TV and the other outside in the basement. Works fine.

Ponch
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:22 PM   #8
rverdlm

What does moved mean? Moved where? I guess I now know since I found my post. It would be nice if the admin said where things were moved to!
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:55 AM   #9
5thwheeler

Sorry rveerdlm - next time I'll tell everyone where I moved it. I sometimes assume everyone can read my mind and knows exactly what I'm thinking.
5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #10
MDTdriver

IR/RF Remote

I received from my son for Xmas a ONE FOR ALL IR/RF romote works up to 100 ft. away through wall and floors.
Has the world's largest code library.
I have a new 15in flat screen tv. and the codes in the remote book did not work so the remote search function found one that did.
I do not think it is very pricey.
My receiver is in the bedroom and I watch tv outside, works great.
Will replace 8 remotes. Also DVR receiver.

Larry & Kathy plus Meeko who like the 32deg. temp
Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
MDTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:59 PM   #11
sr

Here is a Remote that I purchased from the company I work for. It really works well. You use the same remote that came with your Sat, Tv, Stereo etc. Basically you are upgrading the IR remote to be a digital RF remote. If you are interested, I can take an order and send it to you. I have a TV that I use on the outside of my 5ver and use the remote and it changes the channels, Volume on the Stereo Etc. with out having to point the remote at the device. Works up to 100 feet.

Below is some information on the remote.

Vendor: Next Generation
Part#: NEX1000A

Next Generation Remote Extender Kit 418MHz unit
Our Price: $44.99 plus shipping.

DescriptionSimply install the rechargeable Around the House Remote Control Extender™ in place of one of the AAA or AA batteries inside your remote control and point the receiver or attach the included emitter tether cord to the components you wish to control. (If your remote uses AA batteries, slip the assembly into the included AA sheath.) Like magic ... you now have upgraded and converted your favorite existing IR remote control to the latest Digital RF remote -- giving you the freedom to go from room-to-room and control your components up to 100+ feet away! You can control your components inside or outside your home, upstairs or downstairs and through walls, floors and doors without any direct line-of-sight. Unlike other "dock-on" type remote control extenders, you don't have to attach a transmitter to the front of your remote control, nor be limited to a single room as with older stand-alone "cone" type extenders.Features · Works with most AA and AAA powered remotes ·Receiver has built in charger · Available in 433MHz (NEX1000) or 418MHz (NEX1000A) (allows you to use 2 in the same structure!) · Triple eye IR emitter · 100+ feet (30 meter) range · Includes external bright eye emitter · Operating Range: 100+ feet (30+ meters) ·Operating Frequency: 418MHz · FCC ID: SB7AAA · AC Adapter Input: 110 VAC, 60 Hz · AC Adapter Output: 12 VDC, Minimum 100mA ·Battery: 1.5V 2/3 AAA (rechargeable)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 226480_1__118.jpg (74.8 KB, 148 views)
2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:03 PM   #12
sr

Remote

I edited the preceding post. So ignor this one.
2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:00 AM   #13
cjssr

HD Receiver and IR Remote

We also have the closet entertainment system in our 07 SB3. It has a teardrop IR transmitter which is to be put in front of the satellite receiver, I found it after ordering a RF transmitter from DirecTV for our HD DVR receiver. It control it very nicely from the living room. Haven't received the RF one but will keep for a backup I guess. I am looking tinto the roof mount satellite too and found the king dome needs a additional switch for HD and the Winegard Movin View and Road Trip are supposed to have something availabel the end of this month if you are looking at this option.
cjssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:13 PM   #14
Wife of Big Doofus

I have Dishnet HD dual DVR. I tried to explain to my dealer & they really didn't know how to install. Dishnet said there had to be 2 cables from the satellite to the receiver. Is this how yours is? Do you just use an outside dish on a tripod for now? If so, is it an HD or just regular dish? Can you watch satellite in the living room & bedroom?

When my dealer talked to Kingdome they said they had an HD unit that adds on to their 2nd generation Kingdome for an additional $400 but it would be several weeks before it was shipped out.

We want to pick up our 2007 SB3 this week from a dealer about 400 miles away, so we said to forget the Kingdome installation for now.

Sorry for all the questions, but I really don't know that much about how the satellite systems work & "Big Doofus" is working on getting the hitch in his truck & doesn't want to mess with all of this right now.
Thanks!
Wife of Big Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #15
MDTdriver

DVR

We have a Dual DVR receiver for Directv which need two cables from dish to receiver, to watch one channel and record another channel at the same time. A Dual DVR has two receivers in it. So I would think a HD DVR would work the same way.

Larry & Kathy
Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
MDTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:08 PM   #16
cjssr

The kingdome now at camping world will work with HD with a switch they have available online for 269.00 from Camping World also. No one had the addon switch in stock but you can order direct from their online site if interested. Search HDTV CONVERTER FOR DirecTV on their website to find it. We are presently using a tripod HD dish and one cable coming in. You only need 2 cables to watch tv and record another station at the same time. Hope that helps.

cjssr is offline   Reply With Quote