Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
david&vicki

Tow Vehicle

We have just purchased in Alaska a second hand 24 foot 1995 model Rustler made by Travelaire. We would appreciate any advice that anyone can give us as to a suitable tow vehicle for this Trailer.
We are Australians living in Australia and intend coming to the States to travel around over the next few years.

Regards,

David & Vicki Sork
Old 12-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

rustler trailer

At 24', there are lots of choices for a tow vehicle. A well-equipped 1/2Ton pickup, or any 3/4Ton pickup should pull that length very well. Any idea how much it weighs?
Joe
Since you put this in the Dodge section, are you leaning towards a Dodge of some type?
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
david&vicki

Re: rustler trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60
At 24', there are lots of choices for a tow vehicle. A well-equipped 1/2Ton pickup, or any 3/4Ton pickup should pull that length very well. Any idea how much it weighs?
Joe
Since you put this in the Dodge section, are you leaning towards a Dodge of some type?
Hi Joe, we really appreciate your quick reply. The reason we put the question in the Dodge section was by mistake. It was our first post on this quorum and must have made some kind of mistake.
In answer to your questions, we are not concerned what make of tow vehicle so long as it is reliable and has enough power to tow safely. We think the trailer is about 3,500 lbs but not certain. We have not yet seen it. We bought it online, although some friends of ours had a look at it, and the previousl owner is now on holidays so we can't contact him. We will be buying a used truck and will have it checked out thoroughly. Your advice is appreciated. The person we bought the trailer from had apparently used a 1/2 ton pickup but we will certainly now opt for a 3/4 ton. We will also want it to 4 seater.
Do you have any recommendations regarding the make we should look at?
Kind regards,

David & Vicki
Old 12-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

tow vehicles

Opting for a 3/4Ton vehicle is a good choice. I would think that the trailer will be closer to 4500-5000lbs, tho. Still easy for a 3/4T.
But trying to recommend a make/model is tough--I am a Ford person, so naturally lean that way. I think most all Mfgs make a decent vehicle, but when buying used, how the previous owner(s) took care of it is very important. If you find one you like, see if there are any maintainance records available. The main reference for used vehicles in the US is CarFax--a computerized database for vehicle records--but it can miss a lot of stuff. If you consider buying a used Ford, ask a Ford dealer for the OASIS records on the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)--they will be able to provide a printout of all service done at a Ford dealer since it was sold.
Is the trailer a bumper pull (Travel Trailer) or a Fifth Wheel trailer? If it is a bumper pull, the type of hitch you have can be very important in towing stability.
I sincerely hope you success in your efforts to get a towing combination that works well--and that you ultimately get the two years of travel without many problems. The US is a great place to explore by RV and camping.
Joe

Other sources for information on the internet:

www.MyRVTalk.com
www.IRV2.com
www.RV.net

MyRVTalk is particularly friendly and full of helpfull advice--you can make some good contacts and visit some of them in your travels.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
david&vicki

Re: tow vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60
Opting for a 3/4Ton vehicle is a good choice. I would think that the trailer will be closer to 4500-5000lbs, tho. Still easy for a 3/4T.
But trying to recommend a make/model is tough--I am a Ford person, so naturally lean that way. I think most all Mfgs make a decent vehicle, but when buying used, how the previous owner(s) took care of it is very important. If you find one you like, see if there are any maintainance records available. The main reference for used vehicles in the US is CarFax--a computerized database for vehicle records--but it can miss a lot of stuff. If you consider buying a used Ford, ask a Ford dealer for the OASIS records on the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)--they will be able to provide a printout of all service done at a Ford dealer since it was sold.
Is the trailer a bumper pull (Travel Trailer) or a Fifth Wheel trailer? If it is a bumper pull, the type of hitch you have can be very important in towing stability.
I sincerely hope you success in your efforts to get a towing combination that works well--and that you ultimately get the two years of travel without many problems. The US is a great place to explore by RV and camping.
Joe

Other sources for information on the internet:

www.MyRVTalk.com
www.IRV2.com
www.RV.net

MyRVTalk is particularly friendly and full of helpfull advice--you can make some good contacts and visit some of them in your travels.
Hi Joe,
Again thanks for the input. The trailer is a 5th Wheeler. We have travelled in the States on 5 occassions and Alaska on 6 occasions (over a period of 25 years), but never with a trailer. In the past it has been with car and tent or moteling. We are looking forward to further exploring and revisiting places we liked.
We find the USA to be a very friendly, interesting and beautiful place to explore.
Kind regards,

David and Vicki
Old 02-09-2011, 02:17 AM   #6
AbleSmith

Before choosing your tow vehicle you should suppose to know how much you trailer weighs. so kindly check the same. Dont check the weight on the sticker on the trailer, checked with the help of GVWR(Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) or check the certificate of origin
Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Red Ram

The only thing that I would add is, whatever brand you buy you should probably consider a gas powered unit rather than diesel. For the size of trailer that you have a gas truck should handle it OK. Diesel is way more expensive here in the U.S. than gas.

Glad you enjoy our country, I have always wanted to visit your country, but too many things keep me here at home.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:02 AM   #8
johndglynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ram
The only thing that I would add is, whatever brand you buy you should probably consider a gas powered unit rather than diesel. For the size of trailer that you have a gas truck should handle it OK. Diesel is way more expensive here in the U.S. than gas.

Glad you enjoy our country, I have always wanted to visit your country, but too many things keep me here at home.
I do agree to Red Ram, perhaps its almost two years you almost adjusted to your new homeland. Probably now your are one of the affected of this upcoming gas crises. And we can do nothing its just the way it is.

Happy Travel!!